Question PSA: 3070Ti's readily available on ebay

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
For $1700 each. Enjoy.

OK. Let's assume I just typed a mile-long rage-post about this. That would have felt good, but I'll skip it and ask a simple question: WHO TEH HELL IS BYUING HTESE FOR $1700+!?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I used SLI once or twice in the 7800/8800 era and never touched it again. It took way too much work to make games work properly with it. It always worked with the 3 or 4 marquee games of the time and had bugs (microstuttering) or minimal performance increase in everything else.

It might be useful for VR now though, since each eye is rendered separately anyway, but would need a big push from Nvidia and developers.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
VR now though

dedicated VR is practically dead.
I dont care what anyone says, you don't retire VR units only 1-2 yrs after release and call it a success.

Rift -> Dead
Rift S -> Dead
Samsung HMD Odessey -> Dead
HTC Vive - Practically dead... HTC itself is almost completely dead.
HP- reverb - Also dying.
Valve Index - Practically dead The only thing index had was 100% compatibility with Alyx ... the halflife 3 (if valve could count past 2 that is)

The only VR headset which may move forward is the Quest, but i am done with Occulus and Facebook gear.
Its all honestly GARBAGE, made for young hipsters.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Unfortunately I think you are right. PC VR seems to be becoming more niche and most of the new development is on Oculus now, which has a different audience. I think it will still have a place for the flight sim/racing crowd though.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Price has always been what keeps VR niche, until they wholesale VR setups (headset, controllers/towers) for sub $200 it will always be a deadend. It also doesn't help that the GPU to drive the headset is OOS or scalped to the moon.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
That's what you really need that 3090 for. :D

nonono.. its for programing purposes...
yeah... thats right.... programing purposes... i did not buy this gpu for epeen.... *watches nose grow*

Price has always been what keeps VR niche, until they wholesale VR setups (headset, controllers/towers) for sub $200 it will always be a deadend. It also doesn't help that the GPU to drive the headset is OOS or scalped to the moon.

The Quest 2 is a single stand alone unit.
It has a type C connector so you can connect it to a PC over usb 3.2
But that is beyond the point... VR headsets are very uncomfortable to wear more then a few hours... Also they can get really nasty and smelly, from the sweat while wearing one, which is why i have a box of those disposable face guards to use.

Also they leave you with racoon eyes for 30 min after you game'd on it.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I find some VR games make me really sweaty, while others don't bother me at all. The worst one by far was Superhot. Excellent game, but I have to take the headset off every hour or so and wipe down both my face and the foam cover, and get cramps sometimes. Somehow the quick reflexes you need and sense of tension in this game is beyond anything else. Never had this issue in Alyx, Overload or anything else and can play them for hours with no trouble. I see people doing gym workouts in VR, which I might have trouble with too.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
nonono.. its for programing purposes...
yeah... thats right.... programing purposes... i did not buy this gpu for epeen.... *watches nose grow*

The Quest 2 is a single stand alone unit.
It has a type C connector so you can connect it to a PC over usb 3.2
But that is beyond the point... VR headsets are very uncomfortable to wear more then a few hours... Also they can get really nasty and smelly, from the sweat while wearing one, which is why i have a box of those disposable face guards to use.

Also they leave you with racoon eyes for 30 min after you game'd on it.

I get that some are standalone, but anything from Facebook involves selling ones soul. At work we get sent demo kits of VR headsets to try and sell to clients (businesses basically) and some of the staff try them out, I have yet to encounter one that doesn't make me nauseous. Sweat being the least of the bad smell problems there :mask:. My younger brother has a Valve Index but he's also stuck on a 1080 Ti so he doesn't use it much, he's desperate for a Ampere card but can't buy one lol.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I ended up liking VR a lot (which I didn't expect). I've had some magical moments, like that time when this group of maybe 6 or 7 guys went upstairs to play Russian Roulette. They were hiding from me and everyone else so they wouldn't be bothered. So I walk up there and ask if they've seen moonbogg (I had been terrorizing them previously). No sign of moonbogg, so OK, good then. Let's play russian roulette. I excuse myself and walk down the stairs for a moment (so they wouldn't hear my pull the pin on the grenade), walk back up and roll it across the floor right in the middle of them all. I wait...BOOM CHAOS! Half of them die and I clean up the rest with a pump shotgun and laugh my literal ass off, and I mean clean off.

No flat screen gaming experience has ever come close to that, not even a little. I am convinced that VR has a bright future, but adoption has been slow. As much as people don't like facebook, they are the catalyst that will revolutionize development and adoption of VR. Others will compete with their own stand-alone headsets. I love it. Also, the Valve Index is hugely popular. It was on the steam best seller list multiple times in a row. They couldn't make enough of them.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Current state of affairs Scandinavia

3080 - is right out. Just not available and no telling when they'll be back in stock.
3080ti is available for prices ~3.000.- usd .. average a little higher.

THIS IS INSANE.
Bitcoin just took another nose dive with the news out of China.
If I had business intellect I'd buy a 3080ti with some of the btc I have left. It seems like an equation that balances it self out.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Current state of affairs Scandinavia

3080 - is right out. Just not available and no telling when they'll be back in stock.
3080ti is available for prices ~3.000.- usd .. average a little higher.

THIS IS INSANE.
Bitcoin just took another nose dive with the news out of China.
If I had business intellect I'd buy a 3080ti with some of the btc I have left. It seems like an equation that balances it self out.

I figure the yields on chips for these cards are good and given the much, much higher MSRP on the Ti variants of the 3070 and 3080, means we won't see regular 3070 and 3080 cards back in stock for quite some time. That said, I've not seen stock for any cards in the last couple of weeks anyway.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ranulf

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I ended up liking VR a lot (which I didn't expect). I've had some magical moments, like that time when this group of maybe 6 or 7 guys went upstairs to play Russian Roulette. They were hiding from me and everyone else so they wouldn't be bothered. So I walk up there and ask if they've seen moonbogg (I had been terrorizing them previously). No sign of moonbogg, so OK, good then. Let's play russian roulette. I excuse myself and walk down the stairs for a moment (so they wouldn't hear my pull the pin on the grenade), walk back up and roll it across the floor right in the middle of them all. I wait...BOOM CHAOS! Half of them die and I clean up the rest with a pump shotgun and laugh my literal ass off, and I mean clean off.

No flat screen gaming experience has ever come close to that, not even a little. I am convinced that VR has a bright future, but adoption has been slow. As much as people don't like facebook, they are the catalyst that will revolutionize development and adoption of VR. Others will compete with their own stand-alone headsets. I love it. Also, the Valve Index is hugely popular. It was on the steam best seller list multiple times in a row. They couldn't make enough of them.

What I like most about VR is it feels new and fresh. Developers (often small/indie ones) are trying out different things and seeing what works. Not all of it works but it reminds me of regular PC gaming 20-30 years ago.

If it does catch on, it could also justify buying expensive new video cards in the future, which regular flatscreen games rarely do anymore. I could see Nvidia/AMD subsidizing the development of new VR games like FB does. How else would they get you to upgrade your 3090 to a $4000 4090?

Reactions: Tlh97 and moonbogg

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Looking on Ebay,and the cheapest 3070ti I found new was $810 USD.

Totally disguting,considering it's supposed to be a $500 card at most,I think.

Was that a buy it now price? I'm seeing $1,200 for 3070's on Ebay when I just looked. While I'll admit even $800 for a $500 cards crazy, right now that would be a steal compared to the rest on there. Hell, the pre owned 3070ti's are over $800 on auctions that don't have BIN, so I'm thinking even used ones will go for like a G

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Was that a buy it now price? I'm seeing $1,200 for 3070's on Ebay when I just looked. While I'll admit even $800 for a $500 cards crazy, right now that would be a steal compared to the rest on there. Hell, the pre owned 3070ti's are over $800 on auctions that don't have BIN, so I'm thinking even used ones will go for like a G

Regular 3070s are going for $1100+. You're looking at $1200+ currently for a 3070 ti most likely.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The AMD cards seem to be less marked up at this point. The 6900XT is $1500 on ebay. I noticed the local Microcenter was still selling them for $2600, and they had many in stock since nobody would buy at that price.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Just got an EVGA 3080ti FTW3 12GB NIB from a friend of a friend for just under $1600. Not sure if that's a decent price or not but I've been looking for an upgrade everywhere and jumped on it.