Ps4/XB1 Headset

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Would like to get a headset/mic that I can plug into the controller of either console. What a good choice, will see mostly light use so not needing something expensive for sound quality.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Would like to get a headset/mic that I can plug into the controller of either console. What a good choice, will see mostly light use so not needing something expensive for sound quality.
How much do you want to spend? That's the main thing to know.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
What's the range for these thing? Only need it for limited times when I want to use a mic so not looking for hi-end stuff.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You could actually use those cheap earbuds they pack in for a smartphone. Same connector.

The consoles come with one. Sony packs in the earbud thing and MS a headset/mic combo. Both cheap but free is free if you don't care about quality. Though honestly I must say that using these is a bad experience for people on the other end. The microphones aren't that good so it's difficult at times to hear someone who is using them. You can spend anywhere up to hundreds for gaming headsets. So setting a max budget can allow you to get something of decent quality that will both allow you to hear things clearly and allow the people you're talking with to understand you.

For the most basic of gaming headsets I'd start with something from turtle beach. For $40 you get a pretty decent headset with a pretty ok microphone. It won't win any awards for sound quality but it works, and if you have the new XB1 controller with the 3.5mm port it works on that directly so you don't need an adapter to use it on both the PS4 and XB1. You can browse for other turtle beach models, they have stuff ranging from $15 to $200 or so. Alternatively if you have a headset designed for the PC with the microphone and audio cabled separated, you can buy an adapter to convert it into the single connector you need to go into the controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-...6174901&sr=8-12&keywords=turtle+beach+headset

Just make sure it has a connector like this if you want to plug it into the controller and not have to use a USB connection or anything like that. You'll only get stereo, some other headsets allow you to get positional audio/simulated surround.
71vCr9RDkzL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
agree with the little freebie/cheapo ones. They are both terrible for your listening and make crappy mics for the listener.

Those turtles don't look bad, and they have the remote for volume/mic enable which I like. I'll look around a bit and see what I can get something like that for.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yes the inline mute/volume control is great since both the PS4 and the XB1 require you go enter a menu and adjust volume controls there. So you have to basically stop playing to change the volume. What I do with my Astro Mixamp is set the chat and game volume to the max on the console and then trim it down using the mixamp. A similar thing could be done with the headsets plugged directly into the controller. Set the console's volume to max and use the inline control to trim it down. Though you will have to adjust the game vs chat audio mixing through the console menus, no way around that.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Being the good diligent shopper I am (along with lack of free time of recent), haven't purchased yet but noticed when in bestbuy recently they actually had most of the TB line on display.

The 50 series definitely feels as being the cheapest available. 60 was only $10 more but had a more solid feel on the head. The next up I believe is the px24 which felt a little bit more solid/adjustable than the 60 and had additional sound adjustments on the in line remote.

Guess I'll be thinking about it and deciding between the 60/24.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Went and got the px24 from BB on the way home today. Looks like walmart has all the TB headsets discoutned and they have the px24 marked as 69.99 on sale for 59.99. So walked into BB and did a purchase pricematch so pretty happy for getting the top tier of the basic line for a decent price.