PS4 will have PowerVR 6 GPU?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
PowerVR??? I didn't even know they were still around. The last thing they did that anyone cared about was the Dreamcast.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
you mean iphone/ipod?

this is definitely a mistake though and i hope it costs them.

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
PowerVR??? I didn't even know they were still around. The last thing they did that anyone cared about was the Dreamcast.

They are still alive and well, though not on the PC market. Most high end cell phones/smart phones use PowerVR derivative chips to do the 3D work.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I still remember Soul Caliber gaming till the wee hours of the morning with a bunch of friends. Now I want to fire up the Dreamcast. :)

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
I still remember Soul Caliber gaming till the wee hours of the morning with a bunch of friends. Now I want to fire up the Dreamcast. :)

Oh good times, one of the very few Namco tittles that were released on Dreamcast.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah it looks like PVR has the technical know how to make a modern, full featured GPU. They musta made one helluva pitch to Sony to get the bid (Well make you something a bajillion times better than what you have for a coke and a bag of chips) if this is true.

Why Sony wouldn't go with Nvidia again is a bit puzzling (ATI I can understand, is making gpus for the Wii and 360 and Xbox 3 so...)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh good times, one of the very few Namco tittles that were released on Dreamcast.

Yea, Mr. Driller (or whatever that other game was) was hardly as exciting. I remember Segaweb.com writing this big editorial on how disappointed they were that the next Tekken or Soul Caliber 2 wasn't the other Namco game being made.

Does anyone know if this chip would still be a tile based rendering scheme?

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
They musta made one helluva pitch to Sony to get the bid (Well make you something a bajillion times better than what you have for a coke and a bag of chips) if this is true.

Alternatively, NV may have been a bit too pushy with them (just like they dug in their heels refused to work with Microsoft on the original xbox GPU). We'll never know. PowerVR could be the choice by process of elimination.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
It prematurely appears that NV could be betting their next big graphics market to be in mobile devices, not in gaming (PC nor console).

NV:
no big console contract
been talking much more abaout Tegra and mobile devices
moving headquarter to India due to strategic reason (mobile phone markets in Asia).

Makes sense.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Or perhaps Nvidia's big-die strategy scared Sony off. After all, look what heat issues did to the XBox 360. Have to admit, for its time, its GPU was pretty big. Given that Nvidia is pushing performance by brute force, by the time the PS4 is ready that GPU might be fucking huge.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
you mean iphone/ipod?

this is definitely a mistake though and i hope it costs them.

Could you explain why its a mistake. Apple is using power VR along with many many others. Intel uses some of the tech . Well get an early peak at whats coming when Sabdy bridge is releaed. Its supposedly going to have 8 cores gpu. According to my brother inlaw. Its pretty impressive as I understand it. AVX just makes it that much better.

Nintendo as I understand it is also going power VR in its next console. According to thread at XS with same title as this one. Imagination has some powerful processors in the works. You sould have been following power VR as I have been. It wasn't hyping anything and what it has is eye poping . As all will soon enough see for fact .

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
It prematurely appears that NV could be betting their next big graphics market to be in mobile devices, not in gaming (PC nor console).

NV:
no big console contract
been talking much more abaout Tegra and mobile devices
moving headquarter to India due to strategic reason (mobile phone markets in Asia).

Makes sense.

Yep with Power VR competing here. Look for Intel to buy Imagination tech this year. NV was looking at Intel /AMD and lost sight of Power VR because they weren't in the rear view mirror . Thats because Power VR was leading the race to 32nm and beyond. I think power VR will win in the moble market. Well know alot more this year as new stuff gets released. For over a year I been talking about imagination tech . But none would listen . What is an enthusiast anyway . Fanboys or tech geeks./

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
> Nintendo as I understand it is also going power VR in its next console.

That's the next DS not the next Wii, if I recall correctly.

For the PS4, I haven't seen anything in months to corroborate the initial rumor. At least we can rule out the dueling Larrabee rumor now that intel has dropped commercial use of it for graphics for now.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Yea, Mr. Driller (or whatever that other game was) was hardly as exciting. I remember Segaweb.com writing this big editorial on how disappointed they were that the next Tekken or Soul Caliber 2 wasn't the other Namco game being made.

Does anyone know if this chip would still be a tile based rendering scheme?

Yes it is tile based much like larrabee. Intel uses Imagination tech. and they own I believe 27% of that company. I believe Apple owns 15 % So between Intel / Apple they have 43% and Intel is looking to buy.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
> Nintendo as I understand it is also going power VR in its next console.

That's the next DS not the next Wii, if I recall correctly.

For the PS4, I haven't seen anything in months to corroborate the initial rumor. At least we can rule out the dueling Larrabee rumor now that intel has dropped commercial use of it for graphics for now.

Look for Larrabee at 32nm and no hype it will just show up. Than again Intel just might Buy Imagination sooner than latter.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Imagination reports that three of its partners now have licences for SGX MP technology, which continues to extend Imagination's leadership of the embedded graphics acceleration market with multi-processor, shader-based solutions which address the rapidly growing demands for high performance graphics in a wide range of consumer electronics segments.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

They are doing quite well. 250,000,000 products contain their chips. Some of their current chips can play many 3d games and full 1080p video while only consuming 4 watts of power.

PowerVR lost the pc market mainly because of lack of finances to compete with the bigger companies. The tech was always solid. I prefer writing code for their chips much more than those of ATI or Nvidia.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
If nVidia isn't in PS4 it's beacuase Sony wasn't happy with them. It'd make Sony's job easy to stick with nVidia, this is why so many people assume ATI will get the next Xbox GPU and ATI will get the Wii GPU.