PS3 Internet Connection Slowness

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I have a launch 60gb PS3. The wifi connection for Netflix and Amazon streaming has been mediocre (480p) since those services launched PS3 apps, but I just lived with it. I finally bought a cheap router and set it up as a DD-WRT client bridge. Now it's even worse. I'm maxing out at 288p. Amazon fails to load sometimes. The PS3 internet connection test ranges from 4mbps to 10mbps. A speedtest on a laptop connected to the bridge via ethernet is 50+ mbps. What exactly is wrong here? Do I need to open ports? Turn on/off uPNP? Give up and buy a Roku 3 for streaming on this TV?

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
I am having the same thing happen on my wii u. It was fine when I first bought it. Now it can barely stream amazon prime and Nintendo directs. When I send the video to the gamepad it works much better... Wii U is with in 5 feet of the router. Everything else in my house streams fine. (Note 2, PS3, Ipad, Iphone, Galaxy 8)

If anyone knows of a quick answer I would love to know. I have reset my router a few times now.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Have you tried testing a wired connection? One of my coworkers was having the same problem with his George Foreman PS3. It was basically unusable for streaming. He eventually tried it wired and the speeds worked. Perhaps, something goes bad in the Wifi chips in them.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I had the same problem with my Ps3 for a long time. then one day I got the idea to, and I'm not kidding, put some smooth aluminum foil behind the console to direct it towards the router (my setup was: Router-->PS3|Foil. If the orientation was different, I would have adjust the foil no doubt). I literally saw my UL/DL speeds go from 100kps/400kbps to 2Mbps/12Mbps. It had to be as smooth and possible and not crumpled up because I noticed that didn't help. Now I'm always getting minimum of 720P on Netflix or Amazon.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Try a wired connection. Try different router settings. Try running your PS3's connection through a software proxy on your computer (I think it was Privoxy I used?). The latter option, when I got it working, often dramatically improved my PS3's connection speeds. It might require a wired connection...

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Try a wired connection. Try different router settings. Try running your PS3's connection through a software proxy on your computer (I think it was Privoxy I used?). The latter option, when I got it working, often dramatically improved my PS3's connection speeds. It might require a wired connection...

This.

I have the 2ng gen 80GB PS3 and the wireless is pretty terrible. I picked-up a cheap router and physically plugged it into the PS3, and just bridged that router wirelessly to my main. It was really easy, and fixed all my issues. You can then also connect some other devices too, if you have some older ones that may only do G or slower...

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
This.

I have the 2ng gen 80GB PS3 and the wireless is pretty terrible. I picked-up a cheap router and physically plugged it into the PS3, and just bridged that router wirelessly to my main. It was really easy, and fixed all my issues. You can then also connect some other devices too, if you have some older ones that may only do G or slower...

Read OP. I did this. Same issue.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
I have a launch 60gb PS3. The wifi connection for Netflix and Amazon streaming has been mediocre (480p) since those services launched PS3 apps, but I just lived with it. I finally bought a cheap router and set it up as a DD-WRT client bridge. Now it's even worse. I'm maxing out at 288p. Amazon fails to load sometimes. The PS3 internet connection test ranges from 4mbps to 10mbps. A speedtest on a laptop connected to the bridge via ethernet is 50+ mbps. What exactly is wrong here? Do I need to open ports? Turn on/off uPNP? Give up and buy a Roku 3 for streaming on this TV?

Use ethernet. It's a massive improvement.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

Does it get full speed on a wired connection? I know someone who was having this exact problem (they couldn't even use netflix, as it was constantly buffering). Once they switched to wired, all the problems resolved. It had to do with the wireless, which I think the chip just goes bad at some point.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005

Did you try it the way I suggested? I had an ethernet line running from my primary router to the PS3. On one of my computers, also connected to that router via ethernet, I used Privoxy to set up a proxy. I used that proxy in the PS3's network settings. Probably had to do some port forwarding and firewall allowances as well. After doing that, my PSN download speeds, as one example, went from a couple hundred KB/s to 1-2MB/s (about the max I'd seen on my network at that time, matched my Steam download speeds). I know your issues are with other streaming services, but I saw noticeable improvements across the board despite my limited example.

Putting the PS3 in DMZ mode sometimes helped as well, though that was more dependent on what I was actually using the PS3 for. UPNP and port forwarding might also help, if you haven't set those up for the PS3 (no idea what specific ports and settings you'd need, though).

Even then, just a straight wired connection to your primary router could help. PS3's wireless just...isn't the best.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
So here's a random tidbit. I have a Roku that I moved down to this TV to test with. I ran through the Netflix test video that shows resolution and I can hit 1080p on wifi. Here's the interesting part: If you've seen the test video, you know that it does really annoying audio range sweeps, so I had it muted. It seems like most of the time when I'd leave it unmuted, quality would drop from 720p/1080p to mid-tier SD resolution when a sweep was happening. Is it possible for my AV receiver or speakers to be interfering with the wifi around my TV stand?

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Only way to know for sure would be to remove them from the equation, run some tests, put them back in, run some tests, etc. I could see that as a possibility, though.