PS3 internet connection question

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
Hello

Sorry for the noobish question :\

My cable is in my bedroom. From the outlet the cable goes to my modem and then into my PC.

I have a cable outlet in my living room and I need to connect to the internet with my PS3 to download some updates for a game I recently purchased for my son.

What would be the least expensive way of getting that PS3 connected to the internet? Running a cable out to another modem and then to the PS3? I have Comcast and I thought you had to use their modems?

Is there a cheaper, easier way?

Thanks!

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
@stlcardinals

do you mean a wireless router for my current connection in my bedroom...cable into router and the PS3 can pick up the signal w/o any physical connection?

I don't even know if my PS3 is setup for wireless or if I need a physical connection

Thanks

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
@stlcardinals

do you mean a wireless router for my current connection in my bedroom...cable into router and the PS3 can pick up the signal w/o any physical connection?

I don't even know if my PS3 is setup for wireless or if I need a physical connection

Thanks

Yes, get a wireless router then connect the PS3 wirelessly.

PS3 Wireless Setup

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
All PS3s have built-in wireless.

A wireless router is the way to go. I'd spend a bit more than the $20 on the cheapest one and get something a little more reliable. The Linksys/Cisco e2xxx/e3xxx series are apparently good. Cheap routers have a tendency to be 'fiddly'.

When you do get the router, make sure you set it up properly. You're going to want to assign a WPA2 network key (security) to the wireless network so your neighbours don't connect to your wide-open network and start downloading illegal things that get you in to trouble.

There are many tutorials on the internet on how to do this, and I'm sure everyone here would be willing to help too.

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
Hello again

Thanks for the advice. I did buy a router, followed the directions, but when it the PS3 goes to connect to the internet it fails. I've entered in the SSID and password code in but no luck.

I bought a Belkin N150.

My modem is in my bedroom and the PS3 is in the living room...10' away but there are a couple walls in the way.

According to the Belkin site I need a N600. I didn't think I'd need a $60+ router. The N150 was $30.

Do I need a more powerful signal coming from the router? I don't know why the signal would reach the PS3 when it's a mere 10' away.

Thanks

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
OK, I've set up my Belkin N150, created a SSID and a password in my router settings.

I go to connect the PS3...choose scan, but I do not see my SSID name from the list of choices...so I enter it in....enter my key password (the one I used on the Belkin site router setup) and when it "tests" for the connection it fails saying it can't read the connection....and something about entering in wrong SSID? But it's not even there to chose from....?

I'm so damn lost...I've followed online tutorials but no luck.

Is this Belkin N150 a POS?

PlastikSpork

Jan 24, 2012
OK, I've set up my Belkin N150, created a SSID and a password in my router settings.

I go to connect the PS3...choose scan, but I do not see my SSID name from the list of choices...so I enter it in....enter my key password (the one I used on the Belkin site router setup) and when it "tests" for the connection it fails saying it can't read the connection....and something about entering in wrong SSID? But it's not even there to chose from....?

I'm so damn lost...I've followed online tutorials but no luck.

Is this Belkin N150 a POS?

Make sure that in your router settings that you don't have your SSID hidden. Have you tried connecting to the N150 router with a computer?

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
Pretty sure the SSID isn't hidden, but let me go check (since this is all new to me :)

The computer is hooked up to the router. There is a solid green light so I'm assuming the connection is solid.

Let me check to see if the SSID is hidden...if it was then that would make sense as to why the PS3 cannot find the signal.

Worst case scenario I'm going to buy a 20' Cat5 cable and call it good :mad:

Thanks Plastik (and to all those who have helped)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Pretty sure the SSID isn't hidden, but let me go check (since this is all new to me :)

The computer is hooked up to the router. There is a solid green light so I'm assuming the connection is solid.

Let me check to see if the SSID is hidden...if it was then that would make sense as to why the PS3 cannot find the signal.

Worst case scenario I'm going to buy a 20' Cat5 cable and call it good :mad:

Thanks Plastik (and to all those who have helped)

Don't be mad. The router is necessary to share the connection anyways. It's always good to have a spare cable around. I suggest getting a Cat6 instead though.

Check out Monoprice.com , use paypal if possible. Typically, buying a cable at someplace like Walmart, Best buy, etc...means you'll be paying top dollar for a cable that is easily half the price.

Shit man, I'll mail you a cable if you pay shipping and will give me a positive heatware review :D

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
Checked the SSID and it's NOT hidden.

At this point I'm going to head to Frys and get a long CaT6 cable. That SHOULD correct the issue. If it doesn't then for sure I'm not doing something right in the setup.

I will beat this! :biggrin:

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
What security settings are you using on the router? There are some combinations that won't be accepted by the PS3. You'll want it in "WPA2-PSK (AES)" mode.

Everything on Belkin's page for the N150 looks fine, I don't see any reason it shouldn't work.

Do you have any other devices you could try to connect with? An iPod Touch/iPhone/Android phone/a newer Blackberry... even a Nintendo 3DS or a Sony PSP? A laptop with built-in wireless?

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
"WPA2-PSK (AES)"

Huh....don't think that's the one I'm using. Let me go try that tonight!

I don't have any other wireless devices...wait, no, I do have my Andriod phone....

I'm pretty sure it's user error since this is my first time, ever, using a router and trying to set up my PS3 for wireless internet!

Still going to Fry's though and getting that cable :biggrin:...love that store...it's my crack house!

Again, I want to thank each and everyone of you who has tried to help....it's very appreciated.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Haven't read the whole thread.

• Wireless router
    - Affordable
    - Compared to a wired connection, wireless may not be good for gaming (some gamers demand a wired connection)
  • Have a RJ-45 outlet installed that leads to a router in the other room
    - Expensive
  • Long, temporary Cat5 cord
    - If you don't have a source for cheap network cables, it could be expensive.
  • Powerline networking
    - Expensive
    - Possible performance issues

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Hello again

Thanks for the advice. I did buy a router, followed the directions, but when it the PS3 goes to connect to the internet it fails. I've entered in the SSID and password code in but no luck.

I bought a Belkin N150.

My modem is in my bedroom and the PS3 is in the living room...10' away but there are a couple walls in the way.

According to the Belkin site I need a N600. I didn't think I'd need a $60+ router. The N150 was $30.

Do I need a more powerful signal coming from the router? I don't know why the signal would reach the PS3 when it's a mere 10' away.

Thanks
As far as I know, PS3 is B/G-only...so there's no benefit to Wireless N unless you have other Wireless-N devices.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=647613&subid=543384

According to the product sheet, this Belkin N150 is "G" compatible.

Thanks for that though....made me double check!

Correct...and the upgrade to N600 shouldn't affect the G-mode connection to your PS3. I'm pretty sure that upgrade just gives you 802.11n-standardized multi-in/multi-out for enhanced range and throughput. I don't think the PS3 supports MIMO or wireless N...and you shouldn't need to upgrade. Even the most basic router should allow the PS3 to get online.

I find that WPA(1) + TKIP is the best balance of security and compatibility, but routers sometimes don't have consistent names for the modes. Some call regular WPA "WPA-Personal" or "WPA-PSK" (pre-shared key). What are your available selections for security type?

Some have both a WPA mode and a "WPA/WPA2" mode, but the "WPA/WPA2" mode forces the AES algorithm instead of TKIP, and I have encountered devices that tried to use TKIP anyway and couldn't connect. In that case, it was an Ativa-brand router which was a re-branded Belkin.

Last edited:

acctingman

Oct 6, 2010
"What are your available selections for security type?"

I will take a look and report back when I get home :)

From everything I've read online the router should work and be compatible with the PS3.

I know I have it hooked up correctly as I'm able to get online with my PC (but that's not wireless, but at least the router itself functions properly)

Thanks again!