PS3 class action lawsuit giving $55 to those affected.

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
Some of you may remember a time when Sony decided that despite people paying a load of cash for the PS3, they would delete the ability to use it as a computer if they wanted to continue playing games.

Well there was a class action lawsuit that started in 2010 then dragged on before being partially dismissed then resurrected in an appeal.

The news is that it has been moved towards a settlement and the people affected can claim but they need to meet the requirements.

The details are on this website.

http://www.otherossettlement.com/index

Personally speaking, it was an outrage for Sony to try it on and would rather see the people involved in it have their pants dropped then thrashed with a belt for even thinking about doing something like that.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Too bad it requires a lot of proof that you had Linux installed. I actually used the feature back in the day, but I'm not going to rip apart my PS3 in hopes that the old hard drive still works and can show the Linux partition.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Too bad it requires a lot of proof that you had Linux installed. I actually used the feature back in the day, but I'm not going to rip apart my PS3 in hopes that the old hard drive still works and can show the Linux partition.

On the flip side, that college who built a Beowulf cluster of these things is going to get a big pay day!

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is BS, i used linux, decided i still wanted to play games, obviously, pulled the original HDD when they killed linux and installed a 500GB in its place, then reformatted the original and used it for storage in a external enclosure. Would be really hard to meet he requirements of proof now, maybe i could get the partition back but that drive has seen hundreds of GB's of media files on and off of it over the years so doubtful.

Sony can blow me.