PS3 change of policy

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Sony sent out an e-mail on a change in their privacy policy on December 20th, I didn't see it in my e-mail till now because it went into my Spam box:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PrivacyPolicy

The most interesting part:
Other Passive Information Collection via PSN
SCEA may collect information such as PSN account holders' system IP address, IP address-related information, system Media Access Control ("MAC") address, network configuration information, network device information, peripheral information, USB device information, plug-in and monitor information, information generated by the PlayStation®3 system and information about how PSN account holders use PSN and PlayStation®3 users use their PlayStation®3 systems, including download activity, browser activity, gaming activities, forum postings, game profile, rankings, features used and presence on Friends list or block list.

A little scary how much info their collecting now, no?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why is it scary? Gives them data points to which area focuses on what aspects of the platform, gives their marketing departments target areas and information that could be used for better potential tie in promotionals. Trust me, if you start going over these types of data sets you don't give a sh!t what any individual is doing, just what the masses are.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Sony sent out an e-mail on a change in their privacy policy on December 20th, I didn't see it in my e-mail till now because it went into my Spam box:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PrivacyPolicy

A little scary how much info their collecting now, no?

I for one want them to know that I have a Logitech bluetooth to IR receiver instead of their silly Bluetooth remote so that they will include a freaking IR port on the next Playstation.

For everything else, I just assume every piece of electronic equipment I own reports home, so I put different information into each. Security and anonymity through disinformation.

Last edited:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
That is not at all scary to me. If they were using your EyeToy to spy on you, that would be over the line.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
i'd actually be curious the level of detail they could get. Could they discern that my kuro has been calibrated?

The only thing I ever worry about is that my netflix info get out. What if someone found out I like b-rate comedies...da horror!

Mana

Jul 3, 2007
It's just general usage statistics so that they can make their product better. No different than Valve and their games. Not only does Steam collect your hardware statistics, but with games like TF2 they track where you die, what weapons you use, etc.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
That is not at all scary to me. If they were using your EyeToy to spy on you, that would be over the line.

Who says they're not. It's up on Home. I'm watching you play with your bluetooth dildo right now.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
This is not even close to the amount of information Google gets from you every day. Don't sweat it.h