PS3 as a Blu-ray player -- HALP!

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
-I was thinking of buying a PS3 for bluray playback on it (and some games of course :))

-I have an NEC 2690wuxi which only displays progressive scan signals.

-I will be using an HDMI to DVI-D cable.

-Do you think I will have any problems with a setup like this?

Thanks

Update:

Well, I bought the PS3 and so far I am amazed at the quality of the video in Blue Planet.
Metal Gear Solid 4 is also amazing. It took me a minute to ge used to the graphics, though. After all, Crysis pretty much trumps everything out there graphics wise.
One thing I've noticed is that Games are too bright. I made sure to enable the Full color option for HDMI and that makes blacks look black. But when I stat a game, the display noticeaby cranks up the black level.
Any ideaS?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Nope not aware of any issues with the proposed setup. As far as I know the PS3 upscales all DVDs and Blu Ray discs are going to be HD anyways.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Nope not aware of any issues with the proposed setup. As far as I know the PS3 upscales all DVDs and Blu Ray discs are going to be HD anyways.

great -- thanks.
Still want a few more folks to confirm, though

BTW -- how does a monitors HDCP affect the resolution?
I think my display says 720p only when using HDCP
EDIT: nevermind I think that MAY have been my old 20wmgx2.
:)

PS3 it is!
woohoo!
I want to get Planet Earth, When we left Earth -- any other High Def eye candy?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: gersson
Originally posted by: nsafreak

great -- thanks.
Still want a few more folks to confirm, though

BTW -- how does a monitors HDCP affect the resolution?
I think my display says 720p only when using HDCP

Wierd, you would think it could do 1080p from ps3.

I think some review somewhere checked this out (not xt's)

My PS3 works via hdmi->dvi on 20wmgx2 720p.. I could test 1080i too if you like

Oct 19, 2000
I also don't see any problems with your setup. Am I to assume your NEC monitor will display 720p? If so, all of your DVD's will upscale to 720p (or play in 480p if you so wish), any blu-ray's will play at 720p, and any and all PS3 games support, at minimum, 720p. There might be some problems with PS1 and PS2 titles, though, depending on the title. I'm not sure how the backwards compatibility upscaling works, but some (if not most) PS2 titles should run in 480p.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
You should be fine. You might be able to still run interlaced images (like me), but it looks pretty bad.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking or if anything I'll say will help at all (I'm dead tired), but I have my PS3 hooked up in a similar way to a 19" Envision widescreen LCD monitor. It's max resolution is 1440x900, but I can set my PS3 at 1080p, and it works really well. I know that the monitor has to downscale the image, but it looks VERY clean (cleaner than 720p, too). Give that a try as well and see if your monitor will do that. The only downside is that my monitor won't do 1:1 scaling, so the image is slightly (though only noticeable if you look at circles) squished.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well, I bought the PS3 and so far I am amazed at the quality of the video in Blue Planet.
Metal Gear Solid 4 is also amazing. It took me a minute to ge used to the graphics, though. After all, Crysis pretty much trumps everything out there graphics wise.
One thing I've noticed is that Games are too bright. I made sure to enable the Full color option for HDMI and that makes blacks look black. But when I stat a game, the display noticeaby cranks up the black level.
Any ideaS?

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
ok i manually selected 2.2 gamma in the monitor menu now games look perfect
I had it on prg
replying using the PS3

EDIT: Nevermind, Still looks too bright :(

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Crysis pretty much trumps everything out there graphics wise.

Really? I think it looks mediocre at best. I dont know why the industry considers it to be the defacto base everything against Crysis standard.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Oyeve
Crysis pretty much trumps everything out there graphics wise.

Really? I think it looks mediocre at best. I dont know why the industry considers it to be the defacto base everything against Crysis standard.

Really? The vast majority think it's top-notch. I don't know why you consider it to be mediocre.

I've heard a few people here and there claim Crysis (on top settings) is nothing special, and I just wonder, do you think that everyone ELSE is just nuts?