PS2 laser replacement

Sep 7, 2004
I have a aquired a broken PS2 recently, and i believe the laser needs to be replaced. The unit itself will power on and you can browse around the setup screens, but the disc never spins up. There are lots of site that will sell the replacement laser kit, but most of them look shady. Does anyone know of a reputable site i can purchase one from?

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Make sure you have the revision of your unit correct... I bought mine from Ebay. Just look for a guy with a 99.9% rating and you're good.

replacing the laser isn't hard - but you better have a good memory of where certain screws go (or make a diagram as you take the ps2 apart).. The ps2 (especially older ones) is insanely complicated compared to a computer/motherboard.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Why not just try cleaning the laser and calibrating the gear set for the laser distance? It worked on the broken PS2 I acquired.

Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
Why not just try cleaning the laser and calibrating the gear set for the laser distance? It worked on the broken PS2 I acquired.

the glass on the laser eye itself looks like its shatter/smushed.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I haven't looked into it much, and might try later, but what about just replacing the entire drive unit? Might not look great.. but at least it would work better.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
You'll need to replace the laser with the same type, as different lasers generally don't work in motherboards flashed for different lasers. Exceptions are that B and C lasers are compatible. However, lasers tend to be expensive. I've found it's best to sell a non-working system on ebay and to put the money towards a new system.