PS2 Keyboards?

Dasda

Jan 9, 2010
Do they still make them? I had a scary situation where I could not boot into my PC because of a power failure. So I had to go get one from a friend. I was very lucky a friend had one.

I would like to avoid this situation in the future. Are there any cheap ps2 keyboards available? I would like to get one in the case where USB is not recognized by motherboard.

Thanks

ripster55

May 4, 2009
Did you check Newegg.ca?

It's about the ONLY reason to keep a PS/2 keyboard around any more. Unless of course you hang around Overclock.net.

Dasda

Jan 9, 2010
Did you check Newegg.ca?

It's about the ONLY reason to keep a PS/2 keyboard around any more. Unless of course you hang around Overclock.net.

Thanks a lot. Forgot to utilize the great interface of the egg site.

Thank You.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
PS/2 is actually superior to USB. Also ebay for new-old stock: loads of quality OEM stuff, generally the older the better.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Just get a ps2-usb converter. They used to be common when usb was still new.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
PS/2 keyboards are still sold and computers are again made with PS/2 connectors

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Wish I could power my PC on / cold boot with a keystroke from a USB keyboard. I haven't seen any BIOS or UEFI with that option for USB keyboards.

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
You can, the hitch is just that you need an "always on" usb port. My old X58 Gigabyte board had this feature. And yes, it was quite convenient. Nowadays, I only see a small spackling of boards with usb 2.0 always on, not yet a 3.0.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Wish I could power my PC on / cold boot with a keystroke from a USB keyboard. I haven't seen any BIOS or UEFI with that option for USB keyboards.

I also had at least one pc that starts that way since 1993.
The only problem is the ps2 plugs falls out to easy so I tie back it to another wire.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
I run an old P4 3.06 ASUS board and I can do with USB whatever can be done with PS2 (eg, boot up, wake up from sleep {remember to press the space bar for this please}, etc).

Suggest the OP inspect their BIOS and OS power and hub settings to ensure that the desired USB capabilities are properly enabled.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Some keyboards have both, for instance many higher end gaming keyboards. My Rosewill mechanical keyboard came with both cables.

I've seen it in BIOSes. In the past I've experimented and some have not worked. I tried it a couple weeks ago with an ASRock Z77E-ITX board and it powered up just fine (from off, not sleep) using USB peripherals.

PS/2 deserves to die.

Only Overclock.net is keeping it alive.

And gamers. PS/2 allows for NKRO (N-key rollover) while USB allows for a max of 10 simultaneous keys.

N-Key Rollover: What It Is and How To Test Your Keyboard

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
Check out the thrift stores in your area: you'll probably find a whole box of them for $2 each

ripster55

May 4, 2009
Some keyboards have both, for instance many higher end gaming keyboards. My Rosewill mechanical keyboard came with both cables.

I've seen it in BIOSes. In the past I've experimented and some have not worked. I tried it a couple weeks ago with an ASRock Z77E-ITX board and it powered up just fine (from off, not sleep) using USB peripherals.

And gamers. PS/2 allows for NKRO (N-key rollover) while USB allows for a max of 10 simultaneous keys.

N-Key Rollover: What It Is and How To Test Your Keyboard

Last time I checked I had 10 fingers.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
They are still out there.

I am a die-hard Gateway Anykey keyboard user. All of my keyboards are from the early 1990s. :D Nobody has ever made a replacement that can do what it can do.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Last time I checked I had 10 fingers.

The point isn't to press more than 10 keys at a time. It is to guarantee that there isn't any key blocking. That is, most keyboards won't allow certain combinations to be pressed at the same time. NKRO is just a quick specification that tells the discriminating gamer that this is one thing they won't have to worry about in the middle of a frag fest.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I am a die-hard Gateway Anykey keyboard user. All of my keyboards are from the early 1990s. :D Nobody has ever made a replacement that can do what it can do.
I still haven't ever seen a single program that refuses to accept at least some type of software emulation through AutoHotKey. I guess internal memory might be nice if you need physical access to many machines that don't have VNC, although that just seems like a one in a trillion situation. I'd rather just combine the best scripting software with the best typing keyboard and not have to settle for anything.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I still haven't ever seen a single program that refuses to accept at least some type of software emulation through AutoHotKey. I guess internal memory might be nice if you need physical access to many machines that don't have VNC, although that just seems like a one in a trillion situation. I'd rather just combine the best scripting software with the best typing keyboard and not have to settle for anything.

I have my Caps Lock and Ctrl keys remapped on my Anykey.. and the much-more-useful function keys on the left. That's what I can't replace any other way.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Had to switch from an ASRock Z77E-ITX to an ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD and am already missing the power-on from keystroke option via PS/2 keyboard.

The ASRock had a PS/2 port, but the ASUS does not. The ASUS does not have any options either for powering on via a keystroke from a USB keyboard. It does not have any similar settings at all.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
PS/2 is actually superior to USB. Also ebay for new-old stock: loads of quality OEM stuff, generally the older the better.

Damm, I miss my old IBM model M keyboard... :\

(they are getting hard to find with Danish layout...)