PS/2 KB+Mouse Y-cable (2 x PS/2 to 1 x PS/2) for motherboards with 2-color single PS/2 port?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Many motherboards, especially gamer-oriented ones, still include a single PS/2 port with it colored purple + green to indicate it supports both keyboards and mice.

Of the several I've owned, none included a Y-cable for if you want to use both.

Has anyone had luck using a Y-cable, and can you point to a specific model at Newegg or Amazon? The motherboard I want to use it with is an ASRock Z370 Extreme Pro4.

Most of the cables I found with a search said they were for some old motherboard and had people saying they didn't work on anything else.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've seen them on older laptops too. I thought that the PS/2 cable Y-cable was standardized, so I'm slightly surprised to hear that it could be mobo-specific. Especially, using the PC'97 coloring scheme, which is supposed to indicate standard ports / pinouts.

OTOH, I've seen those dual PS/2-to-single-USB adapters, to use a PS/2 mouse + keyboard, on a single USB2.0 port. Those work pretty well, in my experience. As long as you don't go too cheap on them. (Firmware can differ.)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I could just buy one or two and try them, but it would be nice to know I'm not throwing away money. The motherboard manuals I've looked at don't discuss using a Y-cable, they assume you only want to attach one device.

In my case the PS/2 cable is from an old KVM switch. I'm using those PS/2 to USB adapters now but there are minor glitches like a keypress starts repeating endlessly, or a key or two is dropped. I was hoping getting rid of the PS/2 to USB conversion would fix that.