PS/2 and other Gaming Console Question.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
OK, i have a client that is setting up a new office and they want to set up PS/2, XBox and GameCube in the office. they want to make it possible to switch games without having the kids actually handle the games. is there a hack out there that will allow her to put these games (she will purchase the games) on and HD and switch between games via some kind of software??

or multiple external HD's??

i notices the PS/2 has USB connectors, how useful are they?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Don't they have Gamecubes set up like that for use in hospitals? So the kids can play while they are recovering?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
For xbox, mod it and put in a larger hard drive. Then they can select the games from a menu. Faster loading times too. Whisper me if you want more info on this. Dunno about the other two.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
At that point, why not just set up a home theater PC and do some emulators or load the games to virtual drives.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
At that point, why not just set up a home theater PC and do some emulators or load the games to virtual drives.

actually i suggested PC and PC games. that still might be the solution for her, but we'd like to look at all options available before making a decision.

also, quality isn't the issue as much as quantity. i think she wants like 4 or 5 gaming consoles and 2 or 3 arcade games.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

actually i suggested PC and PC games. that still might be the solution for her, but we'd like to look at all options available before making a decision.

also, quality isn't the issue as much as quantity. i think she wants like 4 or 5 gaming consoles and 2 or 3 arcade games.

Quantity eh? With the xbox you can load on there super nintendo games, nintendo, genesis, and a lot of playstation games. Thats a whole lotta games.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Quantity eh? With the xbox you can load on there super nintendo games, nintendo, genesis, and a lot of playstation games. Thats a whole lotta games.

what i meant was, more than one kid will be playing at the same time.

it's going to be a pediatric dentist office waiting room and she wants to keep the kids occupied while waiting.

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Yeah I'd get an xbox modchip and a bigger HD. Than Bu your games onto the HD, not the most legal option since you need to use some illegal code to get an alternate dash up..

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Fiveohhh
Yeah I'd get an xbox modchip and a bigger HD. Than Bu your games onto the HD, not the most legal option since you need to use some illegal code to get an alternate dash up..

hmm, i'll call MS on that and find out what they recommend. if she has a the legal media for each game loaded up on the HD locked away in her office, do you think they will sue?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As was mentioned, with a lot of hacking, you can mod an Xbox and run the games off of the hard drive on the console itself, but for the others, there's really no way *that I'm aware of* to hack them to read a game from anything besides the built in CDroms.

Is it a problem of destroying the media or stealing the media why they don't want the kids to load them? If so, you can get some original playstations and mod them to play burned games. Just purchase an "original" and then make a copy of the game and have them load the copies.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
As was mentioned, with a lot of hacking, you can mod an Xbox and run the games off of the hard drive on the console itself, but for the others, there's really no way *that I'm aware of* to hack them to read a game from anything besides the built in CDroms.

Is it a problem of destroying the media or stealing the media why they don't want the kids to load them? If so, you can get some original playstations and mod them to play burned games. Just purchase an "original" and then make a copy of the game and have them load the copies.

she wants the consoles locked away and inaccessible to the kids.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Fiveohhh

hmm, i'll call MS on that and find out what they recommend. if she has a the legal media for each game loaded up on the HD locked away in her office, do you think they will sue?

MS isn't very happy about people hacking the dashboard as a start. :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Lodgenet has a system set up with the Nintendo 64 system that allows you to have some kind of a ROM server set up so that you don't have to swap games.

You see this set up in hotels. I'm not sure what type of competing products there are.