Pruitt spends $1500+ on crappy fountains. Bling!

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/01/politics/pruitt-epa-pens/index.html

EPA spokesman Jahan Wilcox said the pens were similar to purchases made by Pruitt's predecessors "for the purpose of serving as gifts to the Administrator's foreign counterparts and dignitaries upon his meeting with them."
Purchasing records show the EPA under the Obama administration made a $2,952 purchase from the same shop in 2009 for "non-monetary awards for Administrator."

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

EPA spokesman Jahan Wilcox said the pens were similar to purchases made by Pruitt's predecessors "for the purpose of serving as gifts to the Administrator's foreign counterparts and dignitaries upon his meeting with them."
Purchasing records show the EPA under the Obama administration made a $2,952 purchase from the same shop in 2009 for "non-monetary awards for Administrator."

And?

Drain the swamp, reduce government bloat, no...nevermind....

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

They're still crap, egads. He should have gotten a bunch of Pilot Metros and had them customized. Silver for $120? Pull the other one.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It's probably true that a foreign VIP would not be impressed with my 79¢ pen. Have to go with Jhhnn on this one.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

You realize Pruitt's purchase carried out over 8 years like Obama comes out to $9,000

Oh and knowing Trump's record for truthiness we need to see a copy of those purchase records under Obama. You taking their word??

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
You're just trolling, right? Cross sterling pen-

https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Classic-Sterling-Ballpoint-H3002/dp/B000F0QMBG

Add $30 for a customized logo. It's bling for the troops & an utterly insignificant amount of money not worthy of discussion.

If that's what he got then whoever wrote the article got it wrong. A ballpoint is not a fountain pen.

BTW, I'm not upset so much as I think it's funny, again assuming that "fountain pen" was accurate. FPs are used outside the US more frequently so they would likely know crappy when they saw it. A Cross Sterling? I'd love one for my collection.

Last edited:

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Whatever happened to giving a box of chocolates or a small glass plaque as a gift? Seems like an egregious waste of tax dollars when US citizens are starving, have underfunded health insurance, etc etc

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

True or not, I'd say this is arguably the least concerning thing about Pruitt's tenure. I'm much more concerned about his suppression of climate science and his long history of colluding with the fossil fuel industry.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Geez, all I've got is a Parker 51 Special and an absolute black granite base pen holder with a mounted barometer.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm more concerned about his long term bromance with a coal baron who wants to make it possible for their companies to let coal ash pits leech heavy metals into rivers unimpeded by trivial things like responsibility or the law.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I'm more concerned about his long term bromance with a coal baron who wants to make it possible for their companies to let coal ash pits leech heavy metals into rivers unimpeded by trivial things like responsibility or the law.

Yeah but there's nothing that's slightly funny about that.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I'll stick with my Sailor 1911 14k fine nib.

Needs more silver plating. Maybe a few cubic zirconia bits.

My fave (well I have a lot of favorites depending on what I want to do and on what paper) is my Pilot 743 Med. Flex. Another would be my Century #3776 with an ultra fine nib when I want a really fine line. Then there's the ... well you get it.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

They are supposed to be cutting the fat and cleaning up these government agencies that spend too much money. Instead they are continuing to rape us.

So, lets hear the excuse on why they are at least as corrupt as the last administration? I already know the excuse. After wasting and squirreling away over a million dollars in taxpayer money last year, they assumed nobody would notice this.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
You can find them much cheaper at pen island dot com.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

It's ok. If you squint your eyes all the West Virginians who die from drinking poisoned water almost look brown or black.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Needs more silver plating. Maybe a few cubic zirconia bits.

My fave (well I have a lot of favorites depending on what I want to do and on what paper) is my Pilot 743 Med. Flex. Another would be my Century #3776 with an ultra fine nib when I want a really fine line. Then there's the ... well you get it.
I just bought a bunch of gel pens to try to practice with but as usual the idea of being able to write nicely is of greater appeal than practice is. But I now have pens and paper to look at. I love having tools. I am planning to get a calligraphy set I won’t use. I also bought watercolors brushes and paper for my closet floor in case I’m seized with the urge to be Emil Nolde. I also just added #13 aluminum knitting needles to compare to the 13 bamboo I have been using. I set out to figure out which of the four knitting styles I like best and will never use. I am also learning all about how I could make slime but won’t as well as acrylic pour painting, oh and I intend to learn how to make watercolor paper and where to buy raw organic cotton. And then there’s the the two Martin ukuleles I don’t know how to play but downloaded an app to tune.