Prrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! OUTLOOK

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: amdwolfman
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
BTW, amdwolfman is the guy that wanted to know about directtv w/o prescriptions

If you knew what I was talking about you wouldn't have to take time to copy and paste something that HAS SWEET FVCK ALL to do with the origin of this post
13867 posts huh, Sure know how you got them ;)

Please curb the foul language. Thank you :)

Just take what I said into consideration is all. >lingo has been curbed<
Happy New Year

:)

Ok, now, have you called your ISP/network admins or checked the site? If you cannot telnet to the port, things are probably broken and if they dont know, they should find out ASAP ;)

amdwolfman

Dec 25, 2001
From what I know when I set it up was like this outgoing mail it was (shawmail.ca),as was incoming mail (shawmail.ca)
I cannot,,, No matter what I do to telnet,it says it is not recognized as an internal,or external command, operable program or batchfile

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
It's trying to connect to Shawmail, or shaw mail

From what I know when I set it up was like this outgoing mail it was (shawmail.ca),as was incoming mail (shawmail.ca)
I cannot,,, No matter what I do to telnet,it says it is not recognized as an internal,or external command, operable program or batchfile

looks like the server is down then

C:\>telnet shawmail.ca 110
Connecting To shawmail.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 110:
Connect failed

I cant ping it either..

Pinging shawmail.ca [207.23.43.9] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 142.231.24.14: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 207.23.43.9:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

and there is doesn't appear to be an MX record.
Searching for MX record for shawmail.ca at f.root-servers.net: Got referral to RELAY.CDNNET.ca. [took 113 ms]
Searching for MX record for shawmail.ca at RELAY.CDNNET.ca.: Got referral to ns2.canreg.com. [took 125 ms]
Searching for MX record for shawmail.ca at ns2.canreg.com.: Reports no-mail-services-for-this-domain.shawmail.ca. [took 265 ms]

might wanna give them a call.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
please open e-mail account settings and give us the full POP3 and SMTP addresses for the server.
That way, we can see if anyone can connect to the server.

You can access e-mail account settings by going to <Tools><E-Mail Accounts><View or Change><Next>. Then click on the appropriate account and click change. Don't actually change anything, just write down the server settings please.

Andrew

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
It's trying to connect to Shawmail, or shaw mail

I'm assuming you are referring to this Shaw ISP in Canada.

Which one is your e-mail server?

To find this, go to Outlook. Select the "Tools" menu, then "E-mail accounts". May need to select "Edit/Change" but I think that option exists only in XP not 2k. In the window with "Name" and "Type", select your e-mail and then the "Change" button. Somewhere there (sorry my mail here is Exchange and I don't remember the POP3 settings), there should be an entry for POP3 server and SMTP server. Give us those two entries and we should be able to help you.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
According to their FAQ

Type shawmail in both the Incoming(POP3) and Outgoing(SMTP)mail server fields

sounds like they're using a proxy... their proxy might be having problems.

open up INTERNET EXPLORER... goto TOOLS --> INTERNET OPTIONS --> CONNECTIONS --> LAN SETTINGS
what's checked?

amdwolfman

Dec 25, 2001
To find this, go to Outlook. Select the "Tools" menu, then "E-mail accounts". May need to select "Edit/Change" but I think that option exists only in XP not 2k. In the window with "Name" and "Type", select your e-mail and then the "Change" button. Somewhere there (sorry my mail here is Exchange and I don't remember the POP3 settings), there should be an entry for POP3 server and SMTP server. Give us those two entries and we should be able to help you.

it's blank,only because i cleared it all.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

WELL PUT IT BACK IN!! :D

but put in shawmail, as their faq recommends, and nothing else.

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: guyver01

WELL PUT IT BACK IN!! :D

but put in shawmail, as their faq recommends, and nothing else.

Again, assuming thats the right ISP. Here is their webpage on getting your e-mail setup. And here is their page regarding webmail (e-mail thru a webpage).

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
their proxy must be down..

have you called them yet??

not much other diagnostics we can do from here.

amdwolfman

Dec 25, 2001
I just tried to retrieve my mail.
This si what it said
The connection to the server has failed.
Account;"shawmail", Protocol;POP3, Port:110 Secure (SSL); NO, Socket error: 11001,error number; 0x800CCC0D

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I just tried to retrieve my mail.
This si what it said
Account;"shawmail", Protocol;POP3, Port:110 Secure (SSL); NO, Socket error: 11001,error number; 0x800CCC0D

which brings us full circle.

That is exactly what it is saying

call 'em.

not much else we can do.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>I managed to find

The <B>SMTP server</B> in British Columbia is <B>shawmail.vc.shawcable.net</B></FONT>
<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>The <B>SMTP server </B>in Alberta and Saskatchewan is <B>shawmail.cg.shawcable.net</B></FONT>
<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>The <B>SMTP server</B> in Manitoba and Ontario is shawmail.wp.shawcable.net

They all resolve to the same IP, and I don't get a response from it. That could be from their firewall or proxy, though.

Give them a call.</FONT>

amdwolfman

Dec 25, 2001
Thx guyver01 and evrybody.
If someone has time to answer one or two,maybe 10-15 questions, pm pls

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: shrinertech
<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>I managed to find

The <B>SMTP server</B> in British Columbia is <B>shawmail.vc.shawcable.net</B></FONT> <FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>The <B>SMTP server </B>in Alberta and Saskatchewan is <B>shawmail.cg.shawcable.net</B></FONT> <FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>The <B>SMTP server</B> in Manitoba and Ontario is<STRONG> shawmail.wp.shawcable.net

</strong>They all resolve to the same IP, and I don't get a response from it. That could be from their firewall or proxy, though.

Give them a call.</FONT>

Yeah, it all seems to point to shawmail.cg.shawcable.net. I'd try to connect, but my work computer is behind a nasty firewall which doesn't let me. I'm sure others can try though.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I have tried it from more than one location. I can't connect to their servers.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
useless posts=post counts

Useful posts = post count. You really can't make a post of any kind without your post count going up. It is the way the software is designed.