Proximity Card BS

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
So at work, we have a nice parking garage. The gates open automatically as long as we have the garage access card on our dash or attached to our windshield. All was well for the last 5 months.

Then I moved. My new apartment has a nice parking garage. The gates open automatically as long as I have the garage access sticker stuck to my windshield.

After adding the apartment garage access sticker to my windshield, getting into or out of the garage at work has been a huge hassle. No matter where I put the work garage proximity card, the reads will try to read my apartment sticker instead. Sometimes I can even see "invalid fac(facility) code" on the display. After trying to drive through 4-5 times, I can usually get the reader to finally read my garage card, and the gates open. This is fine when nobody else is around, but when cars are lined up behind me and don't understand why I am shifting into reverse, it just isn't an option.

This seems like a problem that can't be super rare. There must be other people who park in more than one garage. But I can't find anything on google, other than basic information about how proximity access cards work. It may just be that I have to rip the apartment access sticker off my windshield and manually move it around my car as needed, but this would be an annoyance. Blah.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Can you shield one when you want to read the other? Maybe a piece of metal and a magnet on the inside of the window. then when you want to shield the other just slide the magnet over.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Does it work off of RFID? If so you could get one of those RFID blocking bags they make for wallets and passports.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Get the RFID number for the apt sticker and ask the people at work to add it to the authorized list.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I'm just going to rip the sticker for my apartment off the windshield and stick it to some paper, and hold up the correct card for whereever I am trying to go. I think that should work, hassle or not.

Get the RFID number for the apt sticker and ask the people at work to add it to the authorized list.

That would be nice. They won't add cards with a different facility code.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
keep home RFID tag in RFID blocking wallet after leaving home, put back on dash after leaving work, seems pretty simple to me.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I have that problem - RFID to enter work, and RFID to enter the school to teach. No really easy answer. If I have both in my wallet neither door will open when I scan it.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
keep home RFID tag in RFID blocking wallet after leaving home, put back on dash after leaving work, seems pretty simple to me.

The main issue being the apartment "card" is really just a sticker. If it's not stuck to the windshield, it doesn't work.

I'll just peel it off and put it on my cup holder when I am going into the work garage, but I have a feeling the adhesive will eventually dry out or fail and it's going to be more of a hassle.

Blah.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
You could just peel it off then put in on an old gift card keep it in one piece. Heck, could even put on a suction cup so it stays on your windshield when you want.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Parking garage? Wow talk about a 1st world problem lol. I have to brush a foot of snow off my car some mornings just to get out. Don't have to deal with any pesky gates though so there's that. :p

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Parking garage? Wow talk about a 1st world problem lol. I have to brush a foot of snow off my car some mornings just to get out. Don't have to deal with any pesky gates though so there's that. :p

It's a mixed bag. I'd love to have a single family home instead of a tiny apartment, but costs being what they are in the city it's the best option for the time.

I'd happily trade my garage parking space for a driveway and backyard. Maybe in 2 years.

You could just peel it off then put in on an old gift card keep it in one piece. Heck, could even put on a suction cup so it stays on your windshield when you want.

Yeah, I may stick it to another card and see how it works. It's just, out of the hundreds of people living in this apartment, hasn't this problem come up before? Proximity cards are dumb anyway, there should just be an android app that opens the gates via bluetooth or something.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Here's your solution:

Put the apartment proximity sticker on the rear window and the work proximity card on the front window. Drive into apartment garage in reverse. LOL!