Prototype

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
This thread has gone too far off topic. I'm going to lock it, unlock the newer Prototype thread, and sticky it for a day to make it easy for members to find. PC Gaming Moderator- DAPUNISHER

Comes out this summer, here's some awesome gameplay footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...2Bljq4&feature=related

They've been hyping this on G4 for months, and it looks very impressive. You can do so many things with your character in an open world NYC environment.

Free running
Jump incredibly high and then fly/glide
Air dive like a wrestler off a corner rope
Morph into enemies and steal their powers
hijack vehicles
grow Mr. Fantastic like arms and swing em around
Get spikey like a porcupine with wolverine-like claws or Sandman block fists
pick up and throw cars, tanks and people

It sounded overly ambitious the first time I heard about it but it's looking pretty much like they lived up to what they wanted to accomplish.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
OMG! Didn't know about this, that seriously looked awesome. Specially liked the part in the video where it showed the morphing into a soldier after killing him...nice. :)

Looks like the release date is June'09.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
One of the comments on youtube: "This is just a remake of the incredible hulk ultimate destruction. If you have played ultimate destruction you will know what I mean. A lot of the moves you do are just like the ones in prototype. This is because the same company that made that made ultimate destruction is making this game. "

I think the ability to take over bodies to blend in is pretty cool [reminds me of Messiah]. :)

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
I think the other game I have played which kind of allowed morphing into enemies was Second Sight (2005). I think the power was called 'Projection'.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: coloumb
One of the comments on youtube: "This is just a remake of the incredible hulk ultimate destruction. If you have played ultimate destruction you will know what I mean. A lot of the moves you do are just like the ones in prototype. This is because the same company that made that made ultimate destruction is making this game. "

Yeah, judging by that video it does sort of remind me of the Hulk: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/7453.html never played it, but I remember watching the videos before.

Anyway, Prototype looks pretty cool regardless.

KT

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Hulk:UD is one of the best comic property games ever made IMO. Hopefully, this will do what Incredible Hulk failed miserably at, taking all the strengths of UD, and improving the rest. A better camera, deeper combat system, and of course updated graphics, physics, A.I. etc. would make it a must buy for me.

Incredible Hulk, improved on graphics, and that was about it for positives. Dumbed down every element, the combat system went below moronic, had terrible mini/boss battles (instead of just letting Hulk smash as UD did) and almost completely lacked what I would call, the visceral satisfaction, of Ultimate Destruction.

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
Originally posted by: Sam25
I think the other game I have played which kind of allowed morphing into enemies was Second Sight (2005). I think the power was called 'Projection'.

Don't forget about Kirby from the NES days, lulz.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Well, if someone on here picks this up, please let us know how it is. I'm at that point where I need a new game again... :)

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007
Originally posted by: ultimahwhat
Originally posted by: Sam25

Don't forget about Kirby from the NES days, lulz.

I agree Kirby 64 was the shit.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
IGN gave it an average review, 7.5, and they're known for overscoring games (GTA IV - 10, WTF?)

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
yeah, someone got paid for that crap. either that or they wrote the review after an hour of playing.

this game hasn't looked terribly interesting to me, but i did like assassin's creed. i don't see this game having much of a story, though, hopefully it's not another pointless game like crackdown.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
IGN gave it an average review, 7.5, and they're known for overscoring games (GTA IV - 10, WTF?)

Well Gamespot generally scores low and they also gave gta4 a 10 so...

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Reminds me of Spider-man Web of Shadows a lot. It's probably better though.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

GTA has something like a 9.8 average review score, not from 1-2 or even 4-5 review sites. 50+ all gave it near perfect scores. IGN's 10 might have been a bit high, but it's not far far out of line at all compared to every other review. I haven't seen one that gave it less than a 9, most were damn near perefct. Outside of HL2, I don't remember a game getting suchhigh markings from a ton of different review sites. HL2 deserved the praise. GTA:IV was great too, I dunno about 10/10 good, but I'd give it at least 9.5 without a 2nd thought. Can't say IGN overscores games when the majority of their reviews are low scores, and the ones that are uber high, the games tend to be rated high on every review site.

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
Comments I have read else where say the game is not that great, gets pretty boring and seems like its intended for young A.D.D. kids.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: QueBert

GTA has something like a 9.8 average review score, not from 1-2 or even 4-5 review sites. 50+ all gave it near perfect scores. IGN's 10 might have been a bit high, but it's not far far out of line at all compared to every other review. I haven't seen one that gave it less than a 9, most were damn near perefct. Outside of HL2, I don't remember a game getting suchhigh markings from a ton of different review sites. HL2 deserved the praise. GTA:IV was great too, I dunno about 10/10 good, but I'd give it at least 9.5 without a 2nd thought. Can't say IGN overscores games when the majority of their reviews are low scores, and the ones that are uber high, the games tend to be rated high on every review site.

If I am not mistaken Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the highest rated game of all time including all platforms even to this day (I mean perfect scores, and the number of such scores it received all around the world on the web at the time and especially from various gaming magazines). I think that the aggregated scores of Metacritic and Game Rankings gives OoT a final score of around 9.8 or 9.9 out of 10 (at least the last time I checked).

And I believe that the original Half-Life is the winner of the highest number of video gaming awards to this day (it didn't receive as much perfect scores as OoT, but it got more awards, something like 55 or so over a period of a year after its release), everything a company could win in regards to software/gaming development and design was won, every single one of them (of that time).

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
Well the game SOUNDS great in theory, with the open world and all the things you can do. But a 75 from IGN is disappointing, IMO. I'll wait for the folks out here to offer their opinions.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Sounds like an incredibly fun action game. From the giantbomb review:

"You might glide over a battalion of troops, ground-slam into their midst, grab a dropped rocket launcher, leap a hundred feet into the air, and fire it multiple times at a tank before hitting the ground, then grabbing the burning husk of that tank over your head and flinging it into a group of soldiers. Or you could run straight up the face of a skyscraper, jump kick a helicopter, then remove the pilots from their seats and take control of the chopper to lay waste to a group of mutated monsters before hitting the ground and unleashing your tentacle-like mutant appendages on the survivors in a series of whirling combos. The game doesn't nail any one area of the combat as well as it could have if the developer had focused the game's scope more tightly, but it's hard not to be impressed by the sheer range and audacity of things Mercer can do, and the wild scenarios these powers can create."

Most critics have scored it around 85-90%.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
IGN overscores some console games, but their PC reviews and scores tend to be spot on, in my experience.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I got board with AC...this is holding interest more...the morphing abilities are cool and although the story line is of someone infected with some sort of virus is a bit drab...I like being able to run up the sides of buildings then taking a flying leap off....gives you that stomach sinking feeling. haven't felt that since the PS1 days of Jumping Flash.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I've always found it interesting that anyone who's affected by a virus or otherwise mutated has superpowers instead of just being a deformed regular freak. hehehe

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
so far it seems there are too many interuptable cutscenes during the mid-fight and the cutscenes seem vague with little to no explanation other than Mercer is hurting inside and how he continuously repeats himself of how he wants to kill everyone and the viruses creator. The in game voice-overs make the game feel awkward when the characters cuss with too much focus/emphasis on the words fvck and shit. Movement alone is a bit hard to control when using a 360 controller on a PC when running about in high speeds and performing extremely high jumps there is no sense of movement control whatsoever especially when scaling buildings and when landing Mercer's jumps. IMO the game isn't worth 50 bucks considering there is no multiplayer.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Originally posted by: QueBert

If I am not mistaken Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the highest rated game of all time including all platforms even to this day (I mean perfect scores, and the number of such scores it received all around the world on the web at the time and especially from various gaming magazines). I think that the aggregated scores of Metacritic and Game Rankings gives OoT a final score of around 9.8 or 9.9 out of 10 (at least the last time I checked).

And I believe that the original Half-Life is the winner of the highest number of video gaming awards to this day (it didn't receive as much perfect scores as OoT, but it got more awards, something like 55 or so over a period of a year after its release), everything a company could win in regards to software/gaming development and design was won, every single one of them (of that time).

Yeah but Ocarina of Time and Half Life deserved those kind of scores (especially for the time they were released in), GTA IV deserves a 9 or below, review sites aside, many many users feel the same; it sounds like a conspiracy theory but nothing else makes sense: Rockstar bribed reviewers.

Everyone on the net you'll find fanatical praise for games like OoT and HL, as for GTA IV, you'll find people that say it's great and whatnot but thousand more that say the game was a a disappointment or it was just decent/good.

Anyways, IGN's and 1UP's game really make thing twice about Prototype, is there a demo available for PC or PS3? I think not but might as well be sure.