Prosecute Sen Tom Cotton and 46 other Republicans -Petition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Yeah, I remember you and books like Naomi Wolf's "Fascist America in 10 easy steps" talking about how "Dissent equals treason." Time to put that into action now that the proper person is in charge, eh?

I'm sorry, I don't know the proper way to interact with fucking morons. You'll have to get a translator if you'd like me to have a discussion with you.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I haven't read up enough to see whether or not what the Republicans did was actionable under the law, but it is definitely disgraceful and disgusting. There is no doubt about that IMO.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
They absolutely, positively, without a doubt 100% violated the Logan Act and should be prosecuted. They quite possibly committed treason, and it should be considered. Since it was authored by Cotton, it would probably be best if just he was prosecuted and made an example of. The others should be censured at a minimum.

MjAxMy01YmQ5MjhlN2RhZDY4Njk5.png

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
And what negotiation was done with respect to Iran? :confused:

All they did was to write a note alerting Iran to the way our government operates.

Do they not have diplomats or access to Wikipedia?
Seems like pretty basic information I'm pretty sure they are well informed of.

I'm also pretty sure Congressional Republicans would be some of the last people on earth I would go to for factual, reasoned information

That said, what they did was outrageous, counterproductive and ultimately undermines the credibility of the United States.
But illegal? Probably not?
Against all common sense? Certainly.

Nice job alerting the Iranians, as well as our allies, we're a bunch of dysfunctional idiots who can be barely trusted to be able to keep the lights on, let alone broker done international peace treaty that may well stave off the next Middle Eastern war

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That said, what they did was outrageous, counterproductive and ultimately undermines the credibility of the United States.
But illegal? Probably not?
Against all common sense? Certainly.

Nice job alerting the Iranians, as well as our allies, we're a bunch of dysfunctional idiots who can be barely trusted to be able to keep the lights on, key alone broker done international peace treaty that may well stave off the next Middle Eastern war

was it outrageous? shrug not really. just politics as usual. far less of a worry then those in politics allowing the government to shut down (not i say both. its sickening).

counterproductive? sure in the hell was

undermines the credibility? lol are you kidding? like we have had some from the last 20 years.

If they didnt' know politicians were dysfunctional idiots they need help.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
For some reason Republicans have a penchant for doing highly questionable negotiations with Iran. :colbert:

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
§ 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments.Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both

That is the actual wording of the Act. It could quite possibly be argued that they are attempting to influence.

I'm not sure how any reasonable person can look at the situation and come to the conclusion that the senators did not violate the act.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I'm not sure how any reasonable person can look at the situation and come to the conclusion that the senators did not violate the act.

Sure, charge them with the Alien and Sedition Act while you're at it. They date from the same time period after all. Not to mention just as unconstitutional.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Sure, charge them with the Alien and Sedition Act while you're at it. They date from the same time period after all. Not to mention just as unconstitutional.

You mean the acts that were repealed or allowed to expire 200 years ago (aside from the Alien Enemies Act)? :confused:

I didn't say anything about charging/punishing them. Only stated that they are clearly in violation of the act. And like it or not, this act is law.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Nice job alerting the Iranians, as well as our allies, we're a bunch of dysfunctional idiots who can be barely trusted to be able to keep the lights on, let alone broker done international peace treaty that may well stave off the next Middle Eastern war

I think that's been abundantly clear for some time. If the whole "Red Line" thing didn't convince them, nothing will.

I think the Iranians are using this situation to troll us. They're fueling the schism between the President and Congress to make us (as if we needed any help) look stupid and dysfunctional. Probably use it to get some easy concessions from Obama, too. They'll prod him, he's too proud etc, and he'll throw free stuff just to piss off the repubs.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
You mean the acts that were repealed or allowed to expire 200 years ago (aside from the Alien Enemies Act)? :confused:

I didn't say anything about charging/punishing them. Only stated that they are clearly in violation of the act. And like it or not, this act is law.

Nothing is clear. It hasn't really been used, so not much litigation to provide clarity.

Heck, it's not even clear of the Logan Act passes constitutional muster.

Fern

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Logan Act is from 1799, and I daresay you'd have to work hard to find anything in the act which would not be considered a violation of the First Amendment today. Just for the heck of it let's look at the last time it was seriously considered, against Democrat George McGovern.

Just for the hell of it, if people like Jhhnn keep this up I might write a letter to the Iranians myself urging them to tell Obama to eat a bag of dicks and not sign any agreement he offers. Let's see if they feel free to prosecute me under the Logan Act and fully embrace the orwellian police state where people who engage in badthink against Big Brother are turned into unpersons.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I think that's been abundantly clear for some time. If the whole "Red Line" thing didn't convince them, nothing will.

I think the Iranians are using this situation to troll us. They're fueling the schism between the President and Congress to make us (as if we needed any help) look stupid and dysfunctional. Probably use it to get some easy concessions from Obama, too. They'll prod him, he's too proud etc, and he'll throw free stuff just to piss off the repubs.

Fern

Red line was Syria. Congress really didn't exactly try to back him on that either. Not that it mattered, now we all want troops in Syria anyways.

Otherwise your argument if that it's Iran's fault we're humiliating ourselves.... Absurd as that is, it's still not much of a defense considering the GOP fell for it.

Lastly, thanks stupid Obama! We knew you didn't love America. Not like the repubs do for sure.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Are there other examples of members of the Senate sending letters to a foreign government trying to persuade them to not negotiate with the sitting US President?

The only one I can think of was Confederate Senators doing so back in 1860-1861.