Proposed PVR build

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Putting together a build to replace comcast PVR, play media from separate WHS box, rip blu rays, etc. No gaming. Might add a 2nd HD (1TB) as local storage. WHS box has 7TB currently.

CPU: Intel i3-3225
Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V LE
RAM: GSKILL 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Tuner : Ceton InfiniTV PCIE
Hard Drives: 120GB Samsung 840 SSD
DVD Drive: LiteOn IHBS112-04
Video Card: N/A, Intel 4000 from the CPU
PSU: Corsair CX430M
Case: Silverstone SST-GD08B

Thoughts?

Sep 12, 2004
:thumbsup:

Solid higher-end HTPC build. You could cut some corners but based on the components you have selected I get the impression you don't want to do that. The only criticism I can bring is that, based on your existing part selections, your secondary local drive should be in the 2 - 4 TB range.

pkscout

Aug 30, 2012
I would verify that the Ceton and WMC will record directly to your WHS server. I've not tried that and vaguely remember seeing some posts on other boards where recording to a network share caused some problems. A local 2 - 4 TB drive would probably avoid that.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I would verify that the Ceton and WMC will record directly to your WHS server. I've not tried that and vaguely remember seeing some posts on other boards where recording to a network share caused some problems. A local 2 - 4 TB drive would probably avoid that.

Good catch. Looked into that and it's not just a Ceton thing, but a WMC thing. It's doable with some hacking, but I'm just going to add a bigger local storage drive and then archive it off to the WHS. The reason I said I might do 1TB is because I have a WD Black laying around collecting dust. I'll probably skip that and go 3TB. Seagate Barracuda .14 or WD Red?

pkscout

Aug 30, 2012
Seagate Barracuda .14 or WD Red?

Six of one or half dozen of the other. For most usage the two drives will IMHO be basically the same. It'll come down to with which brand you feel more comfortable and price.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006

My HTPC/PVR computer has just a 128GB SSD. The recordings get moved to the server automatically once they're completed.

Because of OCD and/or anal retentiveness, I like all my media in one place, on my server. Plus my server is already on all the time so the media is always available to stream to various machines. My HTPC sleeps when I'm not using it to watch or record stuff. Don't want to have to wake it up every time I want to watch something recorded and stored on it.

I set up something like this to do it:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1228796/windows-7-media-center-recording-live-tv-to-nas#post_18187596

Sep 12, 2004
My HTPC/PVR computer has just a 128GB SSD. The recordings get moved to the server automatically once they're completed.

Because of OCD and/or anal retentiveness, I like all my media in one place, on my server. Plus my server is already on all the time so the media is always available to stream to various machines. My HTPC sleeps when I'm not using it to watch or record stuff. Don't want to have to wake it up every time I want to watch something recorded and stored on it.

I set up something like this to do it:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1228796/windows-7-media-center-recording-live-tv-to-nas#post_18187596
Are you using a Ceton or other cablecard tuner? If so, how are copy once programs affected?

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Are you using a Ceton or other cablecard tuner? If so, how are copy once programs affected?

I use the HDHomerun Prime. It's a cablecard tuner, but not the Ceton.

I'm lucky in that I don't have any channels that set copy once flags. Being able to watch the shows I record anywhere, in the house or while I travel, is a key feature for me. I'd likely get... creative if I ran into copy once flag issues. :whiste:

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Putting together a build to replace comcast PVR, play media from separate WHS box, rip blu rays, etc. No gaming. Might add a 2nd HD (1TB) as local storage. WHS box has 7TB currently.

CPU: Intel i3-3225
Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V LE
RAM: GSKILL 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Tuner : Ceton InfiniTV PCIE
Hard Drives: 120GB Samsung 840 SSD
DVD Drive: LiteOn IHBS112-04
Video Card: N/A, Intel 4000 from the CPU
PSU: Corsair CX430M
Case: Silverstone SST-GD08B

Thoughts?

Looks like a very solid build to me.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Looks pretty good. Only thing I can say is I'd build on a AMD trinity cpu instead of the i3. Not that the i3 isn't a great cpu, but when you're recording 4 streams and trying to watch more online a dual core can get a little laggy. I wish I had a quad in my WMC htpc dvr. Its on the upgrade list. However I have a e8400 cpu, so it probably slower. I figure for a htpc I'd rather have multi-thread performance than single thread.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

I've heard that people managed to record to a media server with ceton and WMC and it works with copy once flags. You'd have to check over on AVS forums though.