• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Proposal to bring back the old SETI@Home spirit

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
10,436
1
0
I've not been interested in the BOINC version of the Seti@Home project, but I signed the petition(#81) as I do agree with the sentiment. :)
 

SirUlli

Senior member
Jan 13, 2003
828
0
0

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
10,436
1
0
Hopefully you're both the older and the wiser of the two of us, 'cuz if not, we're both in a world of hurt. :Q :p

 

SirUlli

Senior member
Jan 13, 2003
828
0
0
Originally posted by: networkman
Hopefully you're both the older and the wiser of the two of us, 'cuz if not, we're both in a world of hurt. :Q :p
for Info

i know your Great work here at Anandtech,

and your postings are always Welcome

i have learned a lot in the last years, and your postings are always wonderfull, this was only for Info, i know that you, one of the people here who are staying at Elite i think

Greetings from Germany
Sir Ulli
 

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
8,305
0
76
148 signed in :p


Networkman you are one of the many that inspired me to join after reading for months the great posts you have added here.

"It has always been more than the stats for me"

 

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
16,565
6
71
Originally posted by: networkman
I've not been interested in the BOINC version of the Seti@Home project, but I signed the petition(#81) as I do agree with the sentiment. :)
Same here. :)
 

The Borg

Senior member
Apr 9, 2006
494
0
0
Signed - # 229

Thanks for letting us know.

I fully agree with the proposal. I could actually add a few things more like the fact that there seems to be no urgency from the Berkeley side to get things going quickly. The stats take a long time to update, especially over weekend.

But anyway, it is good and I hope something comes of it.
 

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
1,250
0
0
We are now at this time 248 signed up. We need more like 100,000 to have any chance of impact. I think we need to further the effort buy advertising more.

A while back there was a post that questioned the science behind SETI . in that post here
I made a post as to why we search.

I quote myself "We as a human species for Eons, have looked to the stars. We have configured constelations to represent mythical beasts and Gods to try to explain what we do not know or understand. It's through this evolutionary search for understanding that we now know Earth revolves around the Sun....not the otherway around."

We must or should all agree that the science is important......and what kept us all together was the behind the lines kind of stuff.......Seti queue.....seti spy.....all the other aps that made this project fun.


This is what we are looking to bring back....the science goes on....but the fun ....just stopped.

 

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
8,305
0
76
Originally posted by: Soggysocks
We are now at this time 248 signed up. We need more like 100,000 to have any chance of impact. I think we need to further the effort buy advertising more.

A while back there was a post that questioned the science behind SETI . in that post here
I made a post as to why we search.

I quote myself "We as a human species for Eons, have looked to the stars. We have configured constelations to represent mythical beasts and Gods to try to explain what we do not know or understand. It's through this evolutionary search for understanding that we now know Earth revolves around the Sun....not the otherway around."

We must or should all agree that the science is important......and what kept us all together was the behind the lines kind of stuff.......Seti queue.....seti spy.....all the other aps that made this project fun.


This is what we are looking to bring back....the science goes on....but the fun ....just stopped.
Well said!

I miss Greg's and Geoff's stats, It added a personal touch to the team and the projects.

TAS was a lot of fun, like monthly races, reaching new goals, making new friends, enriching the experience. I think they spoiled me to "instant results" lol

I love the ideas and science of Rosetta@Home, and I love being a part of The Rebel Alliance, but I want some salsa with my chips too lol

Maybe its because I haven't visited the rosetta site and learned anything new lately?


 

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
6,790
23
81
Agreed, I had a chat with George (OhioDude) a while ago about the funless project seti had become compared to what it was! Man I remeber the days with TA babes the hottub like it was yesterday! I miss the fun and excitement the project brought to the forums and to all of us. I don't know if it will ever be the same, but I hope it will be!
 

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
23,738
292
126
Yea a lot of the old spirit has gone ,though it's also partly down to the team going off in many different projects after S@H1 finished.

Btw Greg's weekly production stats has been replaced ,I started them end of May but unfortunatley I was thwarted shortly afterwards by the stats source site going down (& still is) ,in the meantime RD has kindly taken over using another site :) (which btw requires a lot of manipulation!)

Ulli
Thanks for that :)
Though it should read 'we the undersigned (& most likely many other SETI old timers too)....' ;)

Was about to sign it ,but I can't atm as part of SETIs site is down
 

SirUlli

Senior member
Jan 13, 2003
828
0
0
push

if someone have misses this

i think we made the 500 Club of these..

regards from Germany
Sir Ulli
 

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
10,578
0
71
Originally posted by: SirUlli
Originally posted by: networkman
I've not been interested in the BOINC version of the Seti@Home project, but I signed the petition(#81) as I do agree with the sentiment. :)
thanks, i think the old Spirit is very good, oh what i see

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_user.php?userid=3301

and

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_user.php?userid=6759

it looks like i am a fews Days older...

regards from Germany
Sir Ulli
I signed, up to 360. Like networkman, I've moved on to other projects, but I do remember how great Seti was.

By the way, I've got you both beat ;)
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_user.php?userid=108161
 

GimpyOne

Senior member
Aug 25, 2004
302
1
0
I signed and it is up to 387.

I'm not running Seti@home now, and the reasons are for all those being discussed here.

I really do miss the HotTubs and Asslaminations!(oh yea, the science too!)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Madpierre Distributed Computing 7

ASK THE COMMUNITY