property value question

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
What is the property value (assesed value, or whatever) of all the land in the United States?

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Only serious reply: All the land, or all the land and property?

Are you including the buildings in the entire country, or are you just talking about empty land?

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: redly1
everything

I believe it's somewhere around $30 trillion.

I do know the entire net worth of the entire country, including all the real estate, stocks, cash, everything, is about $50 trillion, and I was told about $12 trillion is stock and 50 - 75% of the total ($50 trillion) is real estate, so around $30 trillion would be right.

But that does not include government owned land, and the government owns some of the most expensive land and real estate in the country, but likely if that were sold to the public it would flood the market and lower prices nationwide.

wedi42

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
i highly doubt anyone has figured this number out.
you best bet to figure out this number would be to try and find some averages.
eg: farm land = $1000/acre, downtown $1mil/acre etc.
then estimate how much of each catagory there is in the US.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: johngute
i highly doubt anyone has figured this number out.
you best bet to figure out this number would be to try and find some averages.
eg: farm land = $1000/acre, downtown $1mil/acre etc.
then estimate how much of each catagory there is in the US.

Farmland usually goes for between $300 - $600 an acre, atleast here in the midwest. The newspaper often publishes average per/acre prices for farmland for each county in the state.

One acre of downtown land in a big city would go for much more than $1m. I know of a neighborhood in my city (which isn't that big, less than one million people) where $1 million an acre is normal, and this is just a neighborhood.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: redly1
What is the property value (assesed value, or whatever) of all the land in the United States?

Are you thinking of selling off Oregon to pay the national debt down?

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
GDP*history of US.

I believe that would be way to much cause it would assume all nondurable goods keep the same value forever. Most cars built in the 30's are not around anymore, and those that are already have their appreciation factored in.