Proper temp readings for FX-6300?

0___________0

May 5, 2012
My last AMD system was an Athlon XP 1800+, so I'm not really familar with current AMD CPU's. HWMonitor, Core Temp and AMD Overdrive are all reporting 6 degrees idle, while my BIOS indicates 30 idle. These temps are impossible, how can I get the real readings? Is it just a problem when temps are below a certain threshold? At what point are the temperature readings correct? I played BF3 for an hour and all the cores peaked at 38 degrees, is this accurate? Are those even the core temps, they're all the same, constantly; is it just reporting the CPU temp for each core?

TMPIN0 in HWMonitor is my mainboard, then 1, 2 and 3 are all faulty readings over 250 Celsius.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Yeah, those readings are completely wrong. Are you using the newest version of HWmonitor?

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
i had that same problem with my FX 4100 it kept reading 255c so i just changed programs and viola fixed

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Yeah, those readings are completely wrong. Are you using the newest version of HWmonitor?

Newest version from their site, 1.21. I downloaded the zipped executable and that one is reading TMPIN(x) properly now, 0 is 21, 1 is 34 and 2 is 28. I just don't know which of these is my CPU, if any of them are. HWMonitor still reports "Package" under FX-6300 as a single digit temp when idle.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
I think I've found what I need; core temps are screwed in every program, but I found that CPU temp or TMPIN0 on my board is consistent, idle at 22, which is above my ambient. I also found out that in the BIOS CPU's can't use halt states, so idle in the BIOS should be higher than idle in Windows, which I'm seeing with 22 vs 30. I still don't know what TMPIN1 and 2 are, but they aren't getting high temps so I'm not concerned.

Last edited: