Proper grammar check. flxnimprtmscl, c'mon in!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Then again, a lot of what people find to "sound right" ends up being very incorrect grammatically. There are some pretty strange grammar rules in the english language. Major in it and you still won't know all of em.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
I was clearly referring to an unjust act. It's correct and you're a tool.

Thanks for playing, we have some lovely departing prizes for you backstage.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
I was clearly referring to an unjust act. It's correct and you're a tool.

Thanks for playing, we have some lovely departing prizes for you backstage.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Wow, you actually made a whole thread just about me. Not quite sure that I know what to say. I'm flattered that my words are so important to you I guess. You should really try not to take the things you read on the internet so seriously though. It's not healthy.

Oh, and just for the fun of it:

dis·prove ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ds-prv)
tr.v. dis·proved, dis·prov·ing, dis·proves
To prove to be false, invalid, or in error; refute.

wrong ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rông, rng)
n.

An unjust or injurious act.
Something contrary to ethics or morality.
An invasion or a violation of another's legal rights.
Law. A tort. See Synonyms at injustice.
The condition of being in error or at fault: in the wrong.

Now, I'm no english major and I could be incorrect but when you said "disprove a wrong" I don't think you were refering to an unjust act, an invasion, or a law. So, according to good old websters the only choice left is "the condition of being in error" which seems to fit the context of the scentence a bit better. When you combine that with the defenition of disprove which is "to prove to be false, invalid, or in error you get.... tada. A double negative. Sorry for ruining all your hard work.
Oh, and what's a "scentence?" A sentence that doesn't smell right?

You must have the King James version of the dictionary.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Oh, and I would say that technically the sentence does not make good "english sense."

A wrong, as a noun, is a falsehood. To disprove a falsehood isn't really all that possible. You can prove a falsehood, you can disprove a truth, but a falsehood is something that is inherently false, and thus not able to be disproved.

And as someone mentioned above, I don't believe that you're talking about wrong in the sense of it being an unjust act. After all, you can't really disprove an act, either.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MachFive
As a sidenote, I might as well have flunked "school" english.

I cannot tell an adjective from a noun from a verb, nor do I have the slightest comprehension of what a dangling participle is.

However, I know real world english, and can point out flawed grammar easily.

Don't ask how. I have no f*cking clue.

cuz you speak it? :p

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Whisper
Oh, and I would say that technically the sentence does not make good "english sense."

A wrong, as a noun, is a falsehood. To disprove a falsehood isn't really all that possible. You can prove a falsehood, you can disprove a truth, but a falsehood is something that is inherently false, and thus not able to be disproved.

And as someone mentioned above, I don't believe that you're talking about wrong in the sense of it being an unjust act. After all, you can't really disprove an act, either.

Thank you. Perfect explination.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000

Or explanation, as most would say. Good thing you've mastered the art of writing scentences. :beer::D

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Or explanation, as most would say. Good thing you've mastered the art of writing scentences. :beer::D

Yet you can spell sentences.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium

Yet you can spell sentences.
Don't you hate when someone comes into a conversation half way through it and thinks they know what's being discussed, when in reality they're clueless?

That's you, Millenium. Now go back, read, and understand.