Project supercritical

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Although it doesn't neatly fit into any category that the AT community has, I thought that people would at least find this project interesting, and I'm sure that some will have some valuable if indirect experience to contribute. Warning: this will be a text wall, but I promise I'll add pictures, links, and better formatting as time goes along!

So, essentially, my goal is to build a supercritical CO2 chamber. The home use of such a thing is typically for extracting THC, but that's not anything I have any interest in. It, of course, could be used to extract lots of things (and is done commercially in a number of applications). However, my intent is to use it as a reaction chamber, and I don't particularly care about the liquid or solid precipitants left over. I actually want to build this in order to treat wood, eventually if successful building a much larger chamber to treat wood for use in pool cues.

What is supercritical CO2, if you don't already know? Well, we are aware of the 3 phases of matter (solid, liquid, gas), however, there really is a fourth called supercritical fluid. For any matter that is hot enough and at a high enough pressure that both the liquid and gas phases exist, as you increase that temperature and pressure the density of the gas phase will go up. As you increase the temperature, however, the density of the liquid phase goes down. At some point for all matter, there will be a "critical point" wherein the pressure and temperature will result in a density of the gas phase equaling the density of the liquid phase, so the two phases become indistinguishable. It's a really wild effect. If you watch a video of it happening, you start with a distinct line between liquid and gas, and then it starts to get hazy as you approach the critical point. If you agitate the vessel, you'll get swirly clouds. As you increase beyond the critical point, there will no longer be any capacity for a distinct liquid or solid phase to exist, and at that point the chamber looks crystal clear. A supercritical fluid has properties of both phases. Being gas like it can easily permeate any material it is small enough to fit through, and being liquid like it readily forms solutions, with solubility increasing with pressure (and generally temperature as long as you are far enough past the critical temperature). What's great is that, because there are no distinct phases, there is no surface tension, so you aren't bound by capillary action. This means that anything which is small enough to make it through the pore structure of the wood to access the carbohydrate backbone will be able to reach those sites so long as it can be brought into solution with the CO2. It seems to be super-soluble, but for high polarity molecules, you can use a co-solvent such as ethanol or methanol.

For wood treatment, there are two basic applications of supercritical CO2
1. Drying of wood. There is research in drying waterlogged artifact wood and in drying green Eucalyptus wood as a potential commercial application. If it can be used to speed up drying, particularly of exotic species, without having a tendency of inducing anything more than surface checking, then this would be really useful. From what I've researched, it seems to do better than kiln drying although not as good as the fancy methods used for preservation of archaeologic species. I'm not sure, but intend to find out, if it is a reasonable way to avoid years of air drying exotic wood.
2. Esterification of wood. This is really interesting stuff. There is a good deal of research here and some commercial applications, generally using acetic anhydride to add an acetyl ester to the free hydroxyl groups of the carbohydrate backbones comprising the cell wall structure of the wood (typically lignin > cellulose >> hemicellulose). I found one paper that did this using acetic anhydride and supercritical CO2, but as far as I can tell almost all of these treatments of wood are done under normal atmosphere. There are a lot of possible organic esterifying agents out there, but I think I want to use phthalic anhydride and experiment with tung oil either separately or in addition. The great thing about phthalic anhydride is it's much easier to obtain, cheap, and is a solid at normal room temperature and pressure. It is reasonably benign, though I'd still want to use skin protection and ventilation + respiration.

Specs:
Operating pressure: ~1100-2000 PSI
Operating temperature: ~room temp - 130 C
Chamber volume (final design): 3 in diameter x 30in+

Basic Design:
Ultimately, the final chamber will probably be made from 3" schedule 80 316 SS pipe, and I'll try to get anything I can professionally welded. Obviously, at a minimum, I'll need a threaded opening with the full 3" diameter to access the wood. Flanges could also be used, but near as I can figure they tend to be inferior, and I don't want to have to worry about any seals being degraded by the CO2.

Now, I plan to use regular pipe fittings to create a control module that I ought to be able to re-use for the final design. On the inlet side, I'll have a ball valve connected to a liquid CO2 tank (typically pressurized to 5000 PSI), that will fit to a cross with a bimetal thermometer (will use a thermowell to protect the thermometer). I'll hook up another cross that will have a pressure gauge, a safety valve, and a needle valve for output (generally I'd just be depressurizing the chamber...If I needed to capture the contents, I'd want the valve to be draining to gravity).

As far as safety valve goes, I think I use a spring-control valve to essentially ensure the operating pressure doesn't exceed my maximum (e.g. 2000 PSI). I might want to be redundant and add an additional pop valve just in case the pressure builds up too rapidly for the control valve to vent or that the control valve fails. I guess it never hurts to have more layers of safety, although that would require additional fittings so I'm not committed to it. Since it is a closed chamber, the only way for the pressure to rise is by heating the fluid, so I'm not too personally concerned about runaway pressure. My planned method of heating really wouldn't enable much exceeding the max operating temperature even in the event of some kind of catastrophic failure. One relevant consideration though is that the CO2 precipitates on the relief valve and causes it to freeze, so I might be mindful of insulating/heating it.

For prototyping, Pretty easy to find a 2" schedule 80 316 SS nipple up to 12" in length. Apparently you can get a fitting made with a sapphire window to cap one end. It isn't necessary in theory, but in case something is going wrong, it may be valuable to visualize things, and it might be able to allow me to visualize how readily certain chemicals would go into solution with the supercritical CO2. It's an expense, but probably worth it. On the other end, I can get some reducing bushings to attach to the control module.

Heating.... I bought a programmable temperature controller so I can program exactly how the temperature is regulated. It should be very important to slowly increase the temperature/pressure and to slowly decrease the temperature (and therefore pressure) as to avoid damaging the wood. Since it is a closed chamber, as long as I have enough CO2 in there and minimal leaks, increasing the pressure is just a matter of increasing the temperature. I should easily be able to reach operating temperatures and pressures from my research, but I need a means of reasonably evenly heating the chamber. My plan is to submerse the vessel in water. I might use DI water to be extra safe with corrosion, but I think so long as I properly dry the chamber after use, that really isn't a concern, especially in using 316 SS which is probably overkill. I bought a cheap heating element and a cheap aquarium pump. I hooked them up at home and made a sous-vide (technically misnomer) egg to test the setup works in principle. It worked well, but I didn't bother to find tune the program, so the temperature control was very sub-optimal. I think it will work.

Many of you will have noticed a serious problem with my proposed method of heating. My operating temperature is up to 130C, and water at sea level boils at 100C... That means that, essentially, I'll have to build a pressure cooker to get the temperature up to 130C. I don't think that will be a problem, really. I could build a container out of an acrylic cylinder and drill holes for the control module and cords for the temp sensor, water pump, and heating element and seal them. The pressure will be much less than that of the CO2 chamber, so I think that's pretty doable. The acrylic would let me see through to the window of the reaction chamber. One advantage of doing this in water for the heating is I can turn off the water pump and tell easily if their are any leaks for anything that is in the water. Anyway, I'll probably start experimenting at temperatures sub 100C, so if this idea doesn't pan out I am not wedded to designing the whole thing around it.

One thing I'm not sure about is circulating the CO2 in the chamber. I don't know how important that would be, but I would imagine it is needed to make a difference. The most obvious way is agitating the whole chamber. Something like a paint can mixer makes sense, although at scale I don't know about agitating a 3ft tall paint can :). I am also leery of adding any kind of movement to something depending on threaded components to seal in pressure. The worst case would probably be just leaking, but I'm sure there's a better way. It seems that electric fans wouldn't really be designed to operate at 130C and 2000 PSI :). And I don't imagine it would be a good idea to subject a battery to that kind of environment. I thought about something like a magnetic stir bar. 316 SS is only slightly affected by magnetic fields, but there would be a lot of distance for that field to cover to work the stir bar, so I am just unsure if that is viable. Curious if others have any thoughts here.

I plan to supply the CO2 via liquid CO2 canister. I think that's just the most straightforward. Some folks have done this with dry ice, which is definitely doable, I don't need to skimp on the budget here. Plus I can clean out the chamber with some acetone to get rid of any water then pull a vacuum on it before adding in some CO2. I don't think it would be absolutely necessary to remove moisture in the air and especially the oxygen, but it really can't hurt. Since the temperature across time is only going to go in one direction until the slow return to atmospheric conditions, I don't need to worry about adding any more CO2 into the chamber at any point. If anything, some will need to vent through the pressure control valve to keep the pressure from going to high.

For the reaction, I'm imagining that just adding some powdered phthalic anhydride into the canister with the wood is all I need to do. I could try to calculate how much would be needed to get the desired amount of esterification, but the desired amount is also as much as possible. It will still be something in the neighborhood of 20% based on what I've researched, but that has to do with the accessibility of the free hydroxyl groups in the wood. Well, if they are not accessible to the CO2 solution, they aren't going to be readily accessible to water, either, so the effect of only a 20% esterification on dimensional stability, etc., is still really profound. So I think I'll just dump what seems to be reasonable as an excess amount into the chamber and see what happens. My mind pictures that any unreacted excess will simply precipitate out as solid once the CO2 is vented. Whatever is on the surface of the wood could be washed off pretty easily, and any unreacted phthalic anhydride retained in the wood itself would still eventually react. There doesn't need to be heat or a catalyst, but raising the temperature definitely accelerates things. If not, I'm not really afraid of unreacted phthalic anhydride. I would take precautions before working with any exotic species anyway as many have sensitizing compounds, and in particular I value my lungs. A byproduct of phthalic acid if produced in some quantity also doesn't sound scary and is solid at normal atmospheric conditions, so it would probably also mostly precipitate out. What I don't know is what reactions might occur between things in the wood other than the lignin/cellulose/hemicellulose. Most of the papers involve a variety of washings of some form of sawdust or wood pulp explicitly to standardize things and look at the chemistry of the effects on those carbohydrates. There is some data (and commercial process) on treating unmodified wood samples of some species, but not a lot, and exotic hardwoods of interest have oils and pigments and such that I'm not really sure what will happen. The CO2 itself will also bring much of that into solution, so it will be interesting to see what effects that has. I don't think a huge amount would end up extracted changing the wood markedly, but who knows. The data on color and UV resistance is generally positive, but lab conditions are who knows what. Still, I am not generally afraid of whatever gets extracted or whatever reacts with the phthalic anhydride. There won't be a lot produced. Anything volatile will get vented into atmosphere, and I'll do this under vacuum hood or outdoors with my own respiratory protection. Otherwise, they don't seem to be highly reactive in a normal environment, and things will probably be pretty high molecular weight. One consideration is that phthalates have been implicated in chronic health concerns especially hormone levels. They are a ubiquitous plasticizer, especially with vinyl plastics, and studies have shown that we all have a high environmental exposure to them. So me producing a little more might not be exactly good, but it'd be a drop in the bucket. But I also don't think there's anything to worry about in reality. The things produced would be high molecular weight, and it seems the worrisome phthalates are those with 6 or fewer carbons. But I wouldn't pretend to be any sort of chemist, so maybe someone else has relevant expertise here.

Hopefully this post provides at least a little curiosity for someone out there. Would love to know your thoughts!

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I do a fair amount with supercritical CO2 in pumping applications, so I'm interested in how this goes. First comment is around the material grades - I'm assuming you are using 316 to prevent adverse reactions with the anhydride? CO2 on its own is not particularly weird, so a plain carbon steel or 4140/410 would probably be fine and cheaper (and stronger). I would seriously think about not doing threaded fittings. You will have leaks and using some type of pipe dope or similar each time will just become messy. I would seriously think about flanging the end and using a good high quality fiber type gasket and blind flanging to keep it sealed. Recognize that what you're talking about here is a serious pressure vessel and really should be built to code, because it will become a bomb at pressure.

I would see if you can spend the money to get some sort of pump and use a circulating pump to do what you're talking about for agitating. It shouldn't be that hard to do (just have to insulate the lines and make sure the soft parts in the pump won't explosively decompress from absorbing the CO2). You could also probably put a strainer/filter in line to remove junk that comes up in the process you describe.

Remember CO2 autorefrigerates, so when venting it will become cryogenic - you'll have to make sure you use low temperature steels and soft parts to prevent from issues.

As far as heating, you might want to look at a simple embedded bulb heater. You can get very precise control and then don't have to worry about a water bath or anything. Worst case, you can get a bigger pipe to put around your smaller one, and then insert the heater into that (it will heat the air around the whole tube). I've used a company called ASB for this in the past.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This says schedule 80 316 SS is good for 1844psi I imagine end caps to be weaker than that.

It's more complicated than that. Best is to look at the individual pressure ratings for the pipe that is sold. Different fittings will have different ratings. Different published standards will have different standard ratings, but that doesn't mean that's what the pipe itself will hold. So your chart is specific to ASTM TP316L. I guess I should have been more specific in specs, but I'm only going to buy parts that I know are rated for > 2000 PSI.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I do a fair amount with supercritical CO2 in pumping applications, so I'm interested in how this goes. First comment is around the material grades - I'm assuming you are using 316 to prevent adverse reactions with the anhydride? CO2 on its own is not particularly weird, so a plain carbon steel or 4140/410 would probably be fine and cheaper (and stronger). I would seriously think about not doing threaded fittings. You will have leaks and using some type of pipe dope or similar each time will just become messy. I would seriously think about flanging the end and using a good high quality fiber type gasket and blind flanging to keep it sealed. Recognize that what you're talking about here is a serious pressure vessel and really should be built to code, because it will become a bomb at pressure.

I would see if you can spend the money to get some sort of pump and use a circulating pump to do what you're talking about for agitating. It shouldn't be that hard to do (just have to insulate the lines and make sure the soft parts in the pump won't explosively decompress from absorbing the CO2). You could also probably put a strainer/filter in line to remove junk that comes up in the process you describe.

Remember CO2 autorefrigerates, so when venting it will become cryogenic - you'll have to make sure you use low temperature steels and soft parts to prevent from issues.

As far as heating, you might want to look at a simple embedded bulb heater. You can get very precise control and then don't have to worry about a water bath or anything. Worst case, you can get a bigger pipe to put around your smaller one, and then insert the heater into that (it will heat the air around the whole tube). I've used a company called ASB for this in the past.

This is a very helpful post, thanks. The basic guide I'm looking at is a reference for making aerogels which would be very similar in design. It cautioned against carbon steel, for example, but I'm not exactly sure why. I'm not sure 304 SS would be a problem, either, but more or less I was figuring that I would want to be certain to exceed my design needs, and especially if dealing with some unknowns, more corrosion resistance could never be a bad thing.

Yes threading is not ideal. But it has been done successfully by many people at least at my prototype scale using some seriously thick teflon tape. Obviously I would need to find a reputable welder if going that route. I don't know about flanged fittings. They seem to be rated for lower pressures in general, but I think if the bolts are properly torqued tight and the gasket is appropriate, it certainly would be a lot more reliable. Makes sense for the main chamber opening, and everything else could be welded. Partly it's just involving more research, more parts, etc.

I definitely do not plan on getting any component that doesn't exceed the specification. The thinking about leaks on a threaded component is that, ok, there might be a slow leak, and it might be a pain in the ass to work to ensure a good seal and I might slowly vent off some CO2, but -- such a leak would not be a bomb or a rocket. That would require a rupture. I've never done anything like this though, so if you or anyone else has reasons why this thinking isn't right I'd love to hear it.

I'll look into your suggestions for circulation and heating. They sound much better than anything I was imagining!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
qualifications: I am certified to work on and operate oilfield equipment up to 10000 psi, which means max ratings of equipment at 15,000 as we only operate at 80% of max pressure of our equipment. stuff open to the pressure of the inside of the earth, so if you have a failure, its more "blowout/burn down a rig" than "oh a leak"

I think you are underestimating the difficulty of the 2nd pressure vessel. with all the inputs and outputs. I also think you are wrong on threads / flange for the end. threads do not seal anything, there is a spiral leakage path. anything threaded will need pipe dope or an o ring seal. a flange will be easier to seal time after time with a couple concentric o rings, you could also machine an end cap that threads on, but uses a double o ring with a backup ring to seal on the inside surface of the pipe. this will require machining the pipe and end cap to a close tolerance. also, pipe thread that large is usually not rated. you need something like an acme thread.

I think you could find a concentration of car antifreeze that would increase the boil point over your desired temp. it could actually be a safety mechanism to keep you from over heating if it starts to boil, as it will be much worse, at that point, at transferring heat to the pressure vessel. i,m not sure how a supercritical fluid affects heat transfer, I would imagine its somewhere between the gas and liquid phase rate. its going to take a bit of time to heat up the objects in the pressure vessel is my point. a 90ish % solution i think would work.

edit: good call on the bulb heater.

agitation, what about something like a magnetic stirrer, through the pipe wall? not sure if thats possible, but with a non-magnetic stainless, i would thing it would work. did not see your suggestion for that already. i would really avoid putting anything other than what you really need in the vessel, as weird things happen to alot of materials, and you could end up with a real bomb if some decomposition of any petroleum based anything happens in the vessel, and then you compress/decompress it quickly.

we have this phenomenon that , if we equalize the pressure of the system too quickly it will compress the gas in the system with sufficient energy to combust any hydrocarbons in it, and in our business, there are always hydrocarbons in the system. equipment is built for it, but it really melts the O-rings and can sever our steel cable that is running in and out of the wellbore and then we have to get that equipment MPI and pressure tested before its used again.

The only fittings I would use for anything above a couple hundred psi are the stainless tubes, valves and fittings made by http://www.autoclave.com/ They also have some proprietary connections that are rated and safe. I am sure they are other manufactures, but these are the only ones we used and I never had a failure. nothing at ace or home depot is actually rated. FYI. it may say it is, or have a max operating pressure, but it has never been tested and can not be trusted when working with gas in a pressure vessel. even less trusted with thermal cycles like you are wanting to do. I have used big box stuff for hydraulic systems, but never for anything with gas in it. We did use 1/2 npt for ease on connections on small stuff, but with high pressure pipe dope and all the stainless/rated parts.

don't compare this to a hydraulic system. gas under pressure holds a huge amount of potential energy. when a 2000 psi gas failure happens, its a disaster. when a 2000 psi hydraulic failure happens, its just a little squirt/leak of fluid because it is incompressible vs gas. unless it injects it into your hand, that's a terrible time.

you could ignore me, and you would probably be fine. but you could also kill yourself with a failure.

2000 psi in a 4 inch vessel is exerting more than 25000 lbs of force against the end cap. my company had an incident where a person died a few years ago after a slug of ice was shot out the end of a 2 in pipe that had trapped pressure in it due to freezing up. he was something like 100 yards away.

the normal stuff we run is 5.125 ID at 10k psi is over 200,000 lbs of force pushing it up from the flange connection on the wellhead. perspective.

4 in 316 sch. 80 is rated for a max of about 1500 psi . .
even sch. 160 ( .5 wall) is only 2600 psi at 200f

so you may want to reconsider that material, and decide on a safety factor.

it does sound like you want to do it right, and i encourage that.

I am super interested in your project. I would love to help in any way i can. i just wanted to get the safety concern out of the way first. do you have a copy of marks standard handbook? sounds like you would enjoy it. Everything a mechanical engineer needs to know or look up in one book.

if you could get some old equipment from the oilfield, it would be amazing.

a section of lubricator and 2 endcaps would really get you started, and it has well engineered seals and connections. the end caps can be had with 1/2 npt connections.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exterous

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
qualifications: I am certified to work on and operate oilfield equipment up to 10000 psi, which means max ratings of equipment at 15,000 as we only operate at 80% of max pressure of our equipment. stuff open to the pressure of the inside of the earth, so if you have a failure, its more "blowout/burn down a rig" than "oh a leak"

I think you are underestimating the difficulty of the 2nd pressure vessel. with all the inputs and outputs. I also think you are wrong on threads / flange for the end. threads do not seal anything, there is a spiral leakage path. anything threaded will need pipe dope or an o ring seal. a flange will be easier to seal time after time with a couple concentric o rings, you could also machine an end cap that threads on, but uses a double o ring with a backup ring to seal on the inside surface of the pipe. this will require machining the pipe and end cap to a close tolerance. also, pipe thread that large is usually not rated. you need something like an acme thread.

I think you could find a concentration of car antifreeze that would increase the boil point over your desired temp. it could actually be a safety mechanism to keep you from over heating if it starts to boil, as it will be much worse, at that point, at transferring heat to the pressure vessel. i,m not sure how a supercritical fluid affects heat transfer, I would imagine its somewhere between the gas and liquid phase rate. its going to take a bit of time to heat up the objects in the pressure vessel is my point. a 90ish % solution i think would work.

edit: good call on the bulb heater.

agitation, what about something like a magnetic stirrer, through the pipe wall? not sure if thats possible, but with a non-magnetic stainless, i would thing it would work.

The only fittings I would use for anything above a couple hundred psi are the stainless tubes, valves and fittings made by http://www.autoclave.com/ They also have some proprietary connections that are rated and safe. I am sure they are other manufactures, but these are the only ones we used and I never had a failure. nothing at ace or home depot is actually rated. FYI. it may say it is, or have a max operating pressure, but it has never been tested and can not be trusted when working with gas in a pressure vessel. even less trusted with thermal cycles like you are wanting to do. I have used big box stuff for hydraulic systems, but never for anything with gas in it. We did use 1/2 npt for ease on connections on small stuff, but with high pressure pipe dope and all the stainless/rated parts.

don't compare this to a hydraulic system. gas under pressure holds a huge amount of potential energy. when a 2000 psi gas failure happens, its a disaster. when a 2000 psi hydraulic failure happens, its just a little squirt/leak of fluid because it is incompressible vs gas. unless it injects it into your hand, that's a terrible time.

you could ignore me, and you would probably be fine. but you could also kill yourself with a failure.

2000 psi in a 4 inch vessel is exerting more than 25000 lbs of force against the end cap. my company had an incident where a person died a few years ago after a slug of ice was shot out the end of a 2 in pipe that had trapped pressure in it due to freezing up. he was something like 100 yards away.

the normal stuff we run is 5.125 ID at 10k psi is over 200,000 lbs of force pushing it up from the flange connection on the wellhead. perspective.

4 in 316 sch. 80 is rated for a max of about 1500 psi . .
even sch. 160 ( .5 wall) is only 2600 psi at 200f

so you may want to reconsider that material, and decide on a safety factor.

it does sound like you want to do it right, and i encourage that.

I am super interested in your project. I would love to help in any way i can. i just wanted to get the safety concern out of the way first. do you have a copy of marks standard handbook? sounds like you would enjoy it. Everything a mechanical engineer needs to know or look up in one book.

if you could get some old equipment from the oilfield, it would be amazing.

a section of lubricator and 2 endcaps would really get you started, and it has well engineered seals and connections. the end caps can be had with 1/2 npt connections.

Part of putting this out here is a reality check. Just because I read something is rated a certain way doesn't mean it's a good idea to trust it and put it into application. I think I'll heed your advice here and look a bit more into it. I definitely want to make sure there is zero chance of any kind of catastrophic failure.

I hadn't heard about that handbook. Thinking about it, I do have some friends that were MEs back in the day who might be interested in the project. My life has diverged from my time as an engineer, but I was CompE, so this kind of stuff was never in the curriculum.

I also have probably been too emboldened by watching youtube videos of folks doing things that don't seem particularly safe. One guy built a chamber out of some very thick acrylic that he machined some holes into to make 2 flanges and sealed them around an aluminum tube with some O rings so he could see everything happening. That thing sounded incredibly dangerous.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Way over my head ... which is actually nice for a change !!! :p

Cool post!

*(note that if I'M the "smartest guy in the room" we have a SERIOUS problem!)

;)

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
@deadlyapp
a pump that will pump both gas a liquid at 2000 psi? sounds expensive.
Thankfully what he needs isn't really a pump, more of a circulator, so no pressure / head needs to truly be generated by the pump since it's a static zero system. Yes, the pressure rating of the pump will be tricky, but there are lots of low flow rate metering pumps designed for high pressure chemical injection that would probably work fine. Pumping supercritical co2 is a little tricky, because if it goes more into gas phase, you'll vapor lock the pump, but with a positive displacement style pump, it has a bit more capability.

Agree with the other member talking about fittings and such. We use a lot from swagelok, but Parker also makes some good fittings and technical specs are all available online.

If you're looking for design specs, at the rating you're looking at, you'd need to go to an ANSI 1500# flange. Always remember to note that at increased Temps over 200F, materials weaken and you need to take that into account.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Looking into things a bit, it seems that sCO2 can penetrate steel and be corrosive. Not sure if it's impurities going into solution and oxidizing, but industrial applications use a variety of coatings for steel. That might be hard for me to find, and I don't think trying to do it myself would be a good idea. I'd either disrupt the seal or fail to protect the steel at that point which would probably just be worse. Interestingly, the source I found showed 304 SS with less corrosion than 316, so maybe I can save some money. If I have to upgrade to schedule 160 (or even higher for some fittings), so be it. So... Probably the final design is probably going to be quite different. I might as well just get everything welded and have the chamber opening be flanged.

For the heating, I had the thought of using some other liquid with a higher boiling point than water, but I totally forgot about following up. A glycol solution makes sense, although with heat and air exposure it still can form some corrosive chemicals even mixed with DI water. I don't know if that concern would actually make an appreciable difference. I'll keep it in mind as an option.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Looking into things a bit, it seems that sCO2 can penetrate steel and be corrosive. Not sure if it's impurities going into solution and oxidizing, but industrial applications use a variety of coatings for steel. That might be hard for me to find, and I don't think trying to do it myself would be a good idea. I'd either disrupt the seal or fail to protect the steel at that point which would probably just be worse. Interestingly, the source I found showed 304 SS with less corrosion than 316, so maybe I can save some money. If I have to upgrade to schedule 160 (or even higher for some fittings), so be it. So... Probably the final design is probably going to be quite different. I might as well just get everything welded and have the chamber opening be flanged.

For the heating, I had the thought of using some other liquid with a higher boiling point than water, but I totally forgot about following up. A glycol solution makes sense, although with heat and air exposure it still can form some corrosive chemicals even mixed with DI water. I don't know if that concern would actually make an appreciable difference. I'll keep it in mind as an option.
The biggest issue with CO2 is in the presence of water. In the absence of water, it usually holds up OK.

At least if you go with 316 or 304 they are relatively easy to weld. A 3" 316L sch 160 pipe should be good up to around 2800 psi, so you have a generally good safety margin.

I tried to see if you could get a simple, pre-made pressure vessel that was good for what you needed from somewhere like mcmaster but they don't have anything at the rating you need. Like it's been noted, 2000 psi pressure vessels aren't as simple as a pipe and threaded cap most of the time.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
good point on the CO2. I was on a project where we were injecting CO2 with the frac and my steel line was needing to be cut a lot as it was becoming very brittle from the CO2 water reaction into carbonic acid. The line we use is just extra improved plow steel.

gut check....

look at the hardware / size on this stuff that is rated for 100 to 150 psi and think about what you had planned. . .

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Of note, finding a 1500# flange is not proving too easy. 😁 McMaster Carr has some, one lists the material as black coated steel, and the other the material isn't even listed. Funny. It looks like iron oxide coating as well, though somewhat thicker. I'm not sure that's sufficient protection. I think the only thing I can do is make requests of the industrial supply companies that do this stuff, but God knows the cost if I just want 2 flanges.

Also, any advice on what style flange to use? Seems that they have them with different kinds of setups for welding. I'm basically assuming a socket weld would be best.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
good point on the CO2. I was on a project where we were injecting CO2 with the frac and my steel line was needing to be cut a lot as it was becoming very brittle from the CO2 water reaction into carbonic acid. The line we use is just extra improved plow steel.

gut check....

look at the hardware / size on this stuff that is rated for 100 to 150 psi and think about what you had planned. . .

To be fair, hoop stress significantly increases with larger diameter. A small diameter like 3" is much easier to seal than something that is 48"+

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Of note, finding a 1500# flange is not proving too easy. 😁 McMaster Carr has some, one lists the material as black coated steel, and the other the material isn't even listed. Funny. It looks like iron oxide coating as well, though somewhat thicker. I'm not sure that's sufficient protection. I think the only thing I can do is make requests of the industrial supply companies that do this stuff, but God knows the cost if I just want 2 flanges.

Also, any advice on what style flange to use? Seems that they have them with different kinds of setups for welding. I'm basically assuming a socket weld would be best.

A SW flange is probably the easiest. You could also go butt-weld. Before you do any actual CO2 pressurization, make sure you test the entire assembly by putting water in it and then pressurizing it with plain air up to 1.5X the working pressure. The water won't pressurize so if you get a leak it won't be destructive. You can read up on hydrotesting to learn more about it.

I'd look at MRC (mcjunkin redman). They can probably get you the flange pretty easily. I think one the size you're looking at will probably cost you about $50-75.

Reactions: herm0016

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
To be fair, hoop stress significantly increases with larger diameter. A small diameter like 3" is much easier to seal than something that is 48"+

there are some things in there with similar sizes, 1 to 5 gal volumes.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
A SW flange is probably the easiest. You could also go butt-weld. Before you do any actual CO2 pressurization, make sure you test the entire assembly by putting water in it and then pressurizing it with plain air up to 1.5X the working pressure. The water won't pressurize so if you get a leak it won't be destructive. You can read up on hydrotesting to learn more about it.

I'd look at MRC (mcjunkin redman). They can probably get you the flange pretty easily. I think one the size you're looking at will probably cost you about $50-75.

Thanks. That sounds super cheap. I'll send an inquiry when I have a clearer picture of what I need.

What kind of compressor would I need to pressurize to 3000 PSI? The good thing about the CO2 is that the tank is ~500PSI and bringing that to >30C will easily get the needed pressure to go supercritical.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Thanks. That sounds super cheap. I'll send an inquiry when I have a clearer picture of what I need.

What kind of compressor would I need to pressurize to 3000 PSI? The good thing about the CO2 is that the tank is ~500PSI and bringing that to >30C will easily get the needed pressure to go supercritical.
You can rent them from sunbelt and probably other industrial rental supply places.