Project MKULTRA

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I was on Wikipedia reading about the show "24" and of course ended up on sodium pentothal and then Project MKULTRA.

Anyway, I read most of the text for the article on Project MKULTRA and was sort of amazed at how crazy the whole thing was. Hooking up a patient with an IV of barbiturate in one arm and an IV of amphetamine in the other in order to see if it worked as a truth serum? I'm no doctor but I can tell you that's a good way to kill someone (which it ended up doing).

Not quite sure of what the point of this post was... I'm just sort of amazed at the whole thing. This whole thing was to figure out mind control techniques for use in the Cold War?

Ah, people. :beer: :confused: :beer:

Link to Project MKULTRA

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I actually read about this after you posted it, I hadn't heard of it before.

It was pretty interesting that stuff went on, and it kind of makes you wonder what kind of stuff is going on now that we don't know about.
Its also pretty disturbing that they didn't tell anyone and that one lab was in canada.

Too bad they say the guy destroyed too many documents to actually get any of the results.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah I'm sure we don't even know a tenth of what went on since the guy burned those documents.

I wonder what it was like to live during say the 50s... was everyone really that paranoid and scared of communism? In the article it mentioned the CIA wanted to be able to control foreign leaders with mind control and would try to drug Castro. The whole thing just seems sort of crazy to me.