Progressive snapshot discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Has anyone used this?

I take public trans to work and drive about 20 miles per week. Wondering if my super low driving amount would be encapsulated in a discount.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
In your case, it's probably a good idea.

I had them in my car and my wife's. It's a huge pain in the ass. I used to brake early, then kinda coast to the end, then stop at the end, but that deceleration at the end caused the system's alarm to go off. So I had to drive faster with more constant deceleration when approaching a light. Pain in the ass.

I was also driving in Providence at the time, and drivers there are the scariest I've seen. I frequently had to perform emergency maneuvers to avoid cars that suddenly pull out or stop in the middle of the road to let someone out.

Anyways, we didn't get much discount, and had to drive with extreme care, and still had those annoying-ass beeps.

But in your case, 20 miles/week it's probably a good idea to get it.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Join Date: Feb 2005 Posts: 2,332 Default In your case, it's probably a good idea. I had them in my car and my wife's. It's a huge pain in the ass. I used to brake early, then kinda coast to the end, then stop at the end, but that deceleration at the end caused the system's alarm to go off. So I had to drive faster with more constant deceleration when approaching a light. Pain in the ass. I was also driving in Providence at the time, and drivers there are the scariest I've seen. I frequently had to perform emergency maneuvers to avoid cars that suddenly pull out or stop in the middle of the road to let someone out. Anyways, we didn't get much discount, and had to drive with extreme care, and still had those annoying-ass beeps. But in your case, 20 miles/week it's probably a good idea to get it.

and is this company even to be trusted?

sounds like they are tightning control over the consumers.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I ordered mine and changed my mind. At the end of the day they have more information to use against you. They might give you a discount this term, but end up charging you more over the coming terms.

wabbitslayer

Dec 2, 2012
At the end of the day they have more information to use against you.

It's about gotten to the point where the gov't and corporations know an insane amount of info about our personal lives and comings and goings...and this is just one more tool used to collect it. In ten years, they'll be sending out anal probes for us to insert to get our "discounts".

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The risk of them getting bad info on you vs the small possible reward of a premium discount seems like a bad tradeoff. Seems like volunteering to have a speed camera installed in your car and asking the government to send you tickets every time you speed.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
If you drive like old people, it's probably a good idea.

If you've ever been involved in "spirited driving" - you know, any kind of fast corners, zipping around the old people, fast acceleration and/or fast braking, etc etc etc... run like hell from such a device.

That's also the exact advice I got from my insurance agent's assistant. Even if you are a very good driver, if you enjoy driving at all, you likely will only see inflated premiums. The monitoring systems don't do anything except alert during large g-force transitions.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I used to have one; after it broke, though, I didn't bother getting a replacement.

seemed like a pain in the ass for the small discount I was getting. I have a short commute, but it's tons of stop signs, red lights, and kids darting out into the street in-between cars on their rush to school.

JManInPhoenix

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2013
USAA offered me to install one of those thingies for a 5% discount on my car insurance. I deleted that email pretty quickly.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I am convinced the amount of miles you drive is pretty arbitrary to how much they want to charge you. I have had long commutes and commutes less that 2 miles. My premiums always were about the same.

Honestly, the largest discount I saw was moving from Alabama to Chicago. Seriously... My premium cut in half. Just from updating my address.

Status
Not open for further replies.