Progress reported in Iraq weapons hunt

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
U.S. personnel searching in Iraq for unconventional weapons and their components are making rapid progress and the world could expect surprises soon, the CIA's chief weapons inspector told CNN.

My suspicions are that we'll find [things] in the chemical and biological areas. In fact, I think there may be some surprises coming rather quickly in that area," chief CIA weapons inspector David Kay told CNN over a secure teleconference between Baghdad and CIA headquarters in McLean, Virginia.

Kay, who led three United Nations arms inspection missions in Iraq in 1991-92, declined to be more specific on what "surprises" might turn up.

U.S. officials said they were examining two large containers found in Iraq full of documents related to banned weapons.

Officials said some documents instruct scientists how to conceal evidence of the weapons program from international inspectors.

So far, few have come forward. Until now, Iraqi scientists have told CNN they were unsure of the U.S. policy, wondering if they would be welcomed or treated as war criminals, or left vulnerable to reprisals by remnants of Saddam Hussein's regime.

For example, one scientist told CNN he did not have anything to do with weapons programs and said he wasn't afraid. But as CNN Producer Maria Fleet left his home, his daughter secretly passed along a note.

"He is afraid of telling the truth because of the dangerous situation Saddam put us in. Please help us and make sure of our safety and if you could make it possible to leave Iraq forever," said the note, written in English.

Obeidi had already begun cooperating with the CIA when U.S. Army troops raided his home June 3, breaking through the front door.

"I was eating breakfast with my wife and I heard some very loud noise outside, and the noise started to grow and even more. And then we were really scared. We thought somebody was going to come to kill us," Obeidi told CNN.

Just two days earlier, he said he had begun cooperating with the CIA, describing to them the centrifuge program and turning over the plans and parts he had hidden under his rose bushes.

Obeidi said he was promised protection by the CIA, but as armed soldiers roamed his home, he felt endangered. His handlers seemed to be reneging, he said.

Fortunately for Obeidi, he was able to reach the only American he really knew, David Albright, a former U.N. weapons inspector whom he had met -- and lied to -- many times during U.N. inspections in the 1990s.

Obeidi, who met with CNN Wednesday at a location the network promised not to disclose, said he hoped lessons could be learned from his attempt to cooperate. Other Iraqi scientists were closely watching his fate, he said.

"I think that the soft touch is the best approach. This is the approach that has really helped me to voluntarily cooperate," he said.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Boettcher: Iraqis possibly 3 years from bomb

Well, in Obeidi's view, he believes it will be broader because he says other scientists are watching what happens to him. He says others are willing to come forward, but they want to see how the U.S. is going to treat him. Is he going to be tried as a war criminal, which it appears he won't be. Is he going to be held in custody?

BOETTCHER: No, it's not dual use. He says precisely that this was to make a gas centrifuge to enrich uranium. It would have taken several dozen of them to enrich enough uranium in a period that would have taken about a year or so once they had that gas centrifuge built.

He believes that would have taken maybe another two years or so. So a total program of two to three and a half years. And he believes it was kept solely for the purpose of reconstituting the program once Saddam thought it was safe.

the infamous 3 year "imminent" nuclear threat....

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
possibly
might
may
coulda
woulda
bla
blaaaafuckingblaaaaaah
BLAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

another *YAWNER* to pacify those bush lemmings

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
and the nuclear materials they were told to hide and lie about are not evidence of Saddam's blatant violations and complete inability to give up his quest for WMD, which was the whole point of the UN being there and what was required for compliance?

If those had been declared and never destroyed, would that constitute maintaining WMD in direct opposition to UN requirements? Only missing point here is he never admitted having them in the first place, he still did just that.

your the only one talking about Bush in here, of course.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
So far, few have come forward. Until now, Iraqi scientists have told CNN they were unsure of the U.S. policy, wondering if they would be welcomed or treated as war criminals, or left vulnerable to reprisals by remnants of Saddam Hussein's regime.

For example, one scientist told CNN he did not have anything to do with weapons programs and said he wasn't afraid. But as CNN Producer Maria Fleet left his home, his daughter secretly passed along a note.

"He is afraid of telling the truth because of the dangerous situation Saddam put us in. Please help us and make sure of our safety and if you could make it possible to leave Iraq forever," said the note, written in English.

let me guess, he's afraid of Bush, it's all Bush's fault, he is the Debble....

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
<<the infamous 3 year "imminent" nuclear threat....>>
:)

I was just wondering. Have all the other claims made by Iraqi 'scientists' panned out?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
not sure, but I have some problems with the way they are handling this. Granted as long as Saddam and the two cuddly rugrats are still running around people will be afraid to come forward, but we could do alot more to alleviate that. I am hoping this high profile incident will start a flood.

We need to make it clear we will not attempt to punish any of the scientists who produce evidence of their work, no war crimes, nothing. We also need to make it clear that their safety, including their families, will be guranteed immediately and forever. If they wish to move here, great, welcome to America, but I would offer them whatever it took for
legitimate information like this.

Why are these people still sitting there afraid to speak to us? That's our fault and something we have had control over. We will see if this leads to more stepping forward, or at the very least the US making it publicly known what I stated above. God forbid they help themselves out a little.....

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
things can be moved....

we will see in a couple of days whether there is more big info coming or if that was all fluff.

Contrary to PhillyTim's belief, I didn't post this for the Bush crowd. I did post it to make it very public for everyone here to see what they say, and then be able to watch for themselves what they do or produce.

this could very easily turn into a perfect example of what they claim the admin did before the war and are still doing today, in which case I doubt he will think it's Blah blah blah..

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Assuming the Chem WMD existed, My hope is we find them or find who has the stuff... I'd breath easier knowing it was somewhere definite. Then, I vote we go after it... But... if on the other hand, it did not exist as we said I'd appreciate knowing this as well so I can breath easier... I don't want to be some idiot terrorists collateral target.. or worry about nothing... real stuff is bad enough.

This is really not becoming like Vietnam... its more like '73 and '74 Nixon.... What was it he said...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
If we find 10 H-bombs we didn't know he had, that would not change the fact that Bush went to war not knowing he had them. He might have said he knew, but that is not the same. I expected them to find some. The fact that nothing of note (sufficient to justify a war) has been found surprised me. If they do dig something up, I will still be unimpressed. Shoot a shady character and dig long enough around his house and I am sure you will find something, eventually.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
many reports things were moved in the 6 months leading up the war, it's not like it was a suprise attack...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A few days into the war we knew that the WMD joke was an excuse for war. If the threat had been immediate and real our casualties would have been huge.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
they will find something, he has to have some old stuff left over from the 80's that they forgot about, hide a few barrels somewhere and lost track of it.
when they find this they will have the WMD. sorry folks I don't think we will find the the massive warehouse full of new high tech WMD that Bush claimed he had proof that they had them.

if all else fails the cia will plant or fake it before the election if need be.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Well we know he had WMD at some point .... he used them... We poisoned our troops in '91 with the blowing up of some depot or bunkers then... the ones with our markings on them as well..

Plausable Denial... Bush's friend will secure the voters on the right in '04 and Congress in the interim... The Left is pretty much set... It is the Left along with Independents and minor parties that need to rally around a central theme... Oust Bush and the Neo-Con Empire Builders..

I think.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Why is everyone so quick to ask 'Where did Saddam Hide Everything that he didn't account for' ?
while refusing to look at all the material the we destroyed without inventorying, recording, and
reporting when we blew up those huge stores we found near the end of Gulf-1.
Swartzkopf led that action, and hundreds of our troops were exposed to the resulting
oxidized and scattered particulate. Can you say 'Syndrome'

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm sure they'll find plans for plans for plans to build them though. We just need more time for the inspections. We're no longer out of time.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I'm sure they'll find plans for plans for plans to build them though. We just need more time for the inspections. We're no longer out of time.
Or at least they'll find drafting supplies and a scientific calculator that could be used to prepare the plans to plan to build them. They probably have proof that Iraq ordered drawing tables from Niger whose only use is designing nuclear weapons.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
it would be funny how much of a joke this all has turned into, if it wasn't for the terrible tradgedy forced upon the Iraqi people and our 200+ dead American soldiers

bush will have hell to pay for this one

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I bet you're right, Bowfinger. Them drawing tables from Niger whose only use is designing nuclear weapons are some of the most deadly in the world. I want to assure you of that even though I know it's a lie.