Programming languages worth learning for an eventually self-employed?

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
I'd like to know what languages one would suggest learning for those who wish to earn a job with a decent company (3.0 out 5 or higher on Glassdoor.com), directly based on how hard you work or contribute.

My IQ is quite unimpressive, i.e. less than 110, so definitely something on the lower end difficulty would be appreciated.

Looking on craigslist, it seems these jobs require a comp sci B.S. degree. I only have a an A.A. Information Systems from a reputable community college. I've taken and passed C++ with a B+. SAT was <%60.

I'm considering studying MySQL and make my way from there.

In the book "Millionaire Next Door", alot of self-made millionaire, work or eventually work for themselves (self-employed). Of course becoming a millionaire is not my primary goal, but simply becoming financially independent individual not slaving away on a paycheck to paycheck living, and living below my means (e.g. avoiding car debts).

I remember reading a Forbes article saying that successful programmers dedicate their free time practicing and messing around with codes and such. I'm willing to do this, instead of playing video games and such.

Part of the reason I'm transitioning to programming is that my AA Information Systems degree/Cisco CCNA certificate is a relative dead end (unless I do an unpaid internship for 6-12 months), though I don't regret it, since it contains valuable information, and the degree opens doors to transition to a different line of work (shows discipline imo).

I studied roughly half of Discrete Math from the following book, and I literally lost interest half way through it. I was hoping to back to another community college to get my A.A. or A.S. in Comp Sci. Discrete Mathematics with Applications: http://www.amazon.com/Discrete-Mathe...h+Applications

Due to the present college bubble, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_education_bubble, I'm convinced the price for a 4 year college class ($1200 here in Maryland), will collapse within the next 10 years. So going there now, is a huge no-no.

I'm also fairly concerned about obtaining a security clearance.

Web design also seems fairly interesting.

Automation programming seems tempting after view the video, Humans Need not Apply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Last edited:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
My IQ is quite unimpressive, i.e. less than 110, so definitely something on the lower end difficulty would be appreciated.

LOL. First of all, IQ is not some absolute gauge for determining the level of difficulty you can handle. They say kids shouldn't be told their IQs, and I think someone did you a disservice :).

Second, some programming languages have more or less approachable syntax, based on various characteristics, but they all ultimately do the same thing. And so, if your IQ is not high enough to handle one of them, I'm afraid you're too dumb for all of them. Sorry ;).

Seriously, you're plenty smart enough. That doesn't mean you'll make a good programmer, but if you don't it probably won't be because you're stupid.

You don't say whether you work on linux or windows. Python will work on both of them, and there are plenty of jobs around. Also java, which gets you prepared for both back-end server development as well as potentially android apps.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
The right programming language to learn is whatever programming language is best for the job.

E.g., don't plan to to work with hardware-related stuff unless you have a firm grasp of C, but that firm grasp of C is useless if you do web-related stuff.

Learn to program in many languages--don't ever limit yourself to just a few. There are many projects that employ multiple languages, depending on what is suitable for what component.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Due to the present college bubble, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_education_bubble, I'm convinced the price for a 4 year college class ($1200 here in Maryland), will collapse within the next 10 years. So going there now, is a huge no-no.

That's an interesting take. If you really want a degree, can you afford to take that chance? My bet would be that the cost is more likely to double or triple in the next 10 years. Plus, you'll be ten years older and competing for jobs at the same level as 21 year old graduates when you get out.

To tell the truth, though, I don't know how people justify the cost of college and the huge debt load these days. If I were just graduating high school today, I'd go into a trade.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Java is pretty popular right now. A lot of the backend for the internet is written in Java and a lot of colleges teach Java, so what you have is a lot of entry level Java positions.

The reality of the situation is that once you learn the fundamentals of programming, you can pickup any language you need pretty quickly. I use a mix of 10 or so languages at my current job. The unfortunate twist is that a lot of interviewers ask about minute details of whatever language they're using as a way to gauge programming experience, which is a dumb method IMO.

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
iOS development pays pretty well (iPhone/iPad) from job postings. indeed has a different take http://www.indeed.com/salary
Java will open you up to a lot of positions and it pays good. Seems iOS is generally more though but Java seems to be higher then web dev (generally).

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
k3n are you any good at logic-based puzzles? That's more important to becoming a decent programmer than your IQ or math skills.

Though for robotics you'd need the math and physics. So web server programming might be a better choice for you :)

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I say go with C#, typically .net technologies are easy to get started with.Just one thing though, mastering a language takes time so don't lose patience :biggrin:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I would say C# and java, .net, angular. There are plenty of free tutorials out there. Especially on udemy..a site where you can sign up for free courses.

In school my major taught us quite a bit of c# and .net but my job only used java so I learned that on my own and through training courses at work.

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
Thanks for the additional inputs.

What are your thoughts on PHP? It's always caught my attention, due to the fact I was obsessed with creating/setting up forums back in 2003-2005, with phpBB and Invision Power Board (now Invision Power Services).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

What are your thoughts on PHP? It's always caught my attention, due to the fact I was obsessed with creating/setting up forums back in 2003-2005, with phpBB and Invision Power Board (now Invision Power Services).

I would learn it for basic use. It's very useful and handy for web projects. The syntax can be tricky but easy to understand. I built a simple web page system using php and mysql for my android developers so they can upload their roms and such.

Phpacademy is a great resource. I would say learn c# and java thoroughly and php on your own in small steps. But don't list it on your resume if you are not proficient with it. I can write a web page with php but I may not be able to answer questions on it in an interview since I use it sparingly on my own time..mostly for fun.

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
I indeed do see alot of job offers on java literally require 0-2 years of experience. But it seems they require a 4 year college degree. Is there a reputable certification (like OCA for MySQL), that shows one is proficient in Java and C#.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I indeed do see alot of job offers on java literally require 0-2 years of experience. But it seems they require a 4 year college degree. Is there a reputable certification (like OCA for MySQL), that shows one is proficient in Java and C#.

Check this out. I was unaware there were certificates.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/we...e?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JSE7PROG

My buddy who is proficient with css and php used to build small sites for local restaurants and other friends. He is really good with design in css and was able to show off these projects to employers. He did get a job with a company but I don't know if he is doing development anymore.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006

PHP is pretty much usable only for server-side development of websites. You can try to shoehorn it into other roles, but it's pretty much a one-trick pony.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you want to do.

That should be your question. Pick what you want to do first and worry about the language second.

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
If someone may to a "how-to" guide to get MySQL Workbench 6.1 to recognize my commands, that would be great. This is as far as I've gotten.

pc494UI.jpg

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
If someone may to a "how-to" guide to get MySQL Workbench 6.1 to recognize my commands, that would be great. This is as far as I've gotten.

My advice for this and all future inquiries is to think like an engineer, and provide a concise statement of your setup, what you are doing, and how the system is responding. The total volume of Internet forum posts worldwide would probably drop by 30% if people did this, instead of basically saying "It doesn't work. Can anyone help?"

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

pc494UI.jpg

Do you have a webpage that has to run a query and return results or do you just want to use mysql to run a query on a database you created? What languages are you using?

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
I've installed XAMPP. If one may link to a recommended an active forum, targeted to those trying to self-learn MySQL, it would be truly appreciated.

For those interested:

running the command: >shell mysql --version

Returns an, "unrecognized command" message. One of the book I picked up dealt with WorkBench 5.x, which has a totally different GUI/navigation than WorkBench 6.2 :(

VgsjEd5.jpg

Last edited:

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
Is MySQL running at all? It depends how you configured XAMPP but in my case I have it configured so that I have to start MySQL manually through the XAMPP control panel.

maybe see also

https://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42567

I initially got error code 1049. Someone at a different forum suggesting changing hostname from 127.0.0.1 to localhost, and leave default schema blank. I did "Test Connection" and got a success.

X3tf9jK.jpg

Unfortunately, Tools -> Start Shell for MySQL Utilities; the command: mysql --version, isn't accessible.

eBssZ2f.jpg

MySQL server seems to be running sucessfully in WorkBench: http://i.imgur.com/m2P5aO9.jpg

Last edited: