Question Programming languages and Jobs

Quantum Robin

Jan 3, 2019
I want to learn how to program in programming languages that has reasons to find a job, I do not want to learn how to program in programming languages that has weak market or that has no reason to find a job.

Are there reasons to learn how to program in which programming languages to find a job?

Are there no reasons to learn how to program in which programming languages to find a job?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
There is no definite answer, it all depends what you do for your job.

You definitely have to learn Javascript PHP/html/css if you do web development.
If you do database/data processing, you need SQL.
You learn C#/VB.NET if doing Windows desktop app.

And maybe even more. Reality is that you probably have to learn all of the above, since many projects require you know all of them.

Programming is a tough job. Think well before jumping in.

Reactions: Quantum Robin

Quantum Robin

Jan 3, 2019
Of course, some languages are are more important depending on the industry you’re interested in.

There is no definite answer, it all depends what you do for your job.

I want to know which are the programming languages that has reasons to find a job of all industries (all programming industries maybe are web, mobile, games, desktop, operating systems development, hardware development) to I choose a industry.

Wich are all programming industries?

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Your English is hard to understand. What do you mean all programming industries?

Do you mean you want to know what computer language can be applied/used in all kinds of industries?

If that's what you are asking, the answer is simply no.

Quantum Robin

Jan 3, 2019
Your English is hard to understand. What do you mean all programming industries?

No, I mean all industries.

Maybe all industries are web, mobile, games, desktop, operating systems development and hardware development.

Which are all industries?

Do you mean you want to know what computer language can be applied/used in all kinds of industries?

No, I mean I want to know what are all computer languages can be applied/used in each type of industrie.

What are all computer languages can be applied/used in each type of industrie?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
web: mostly Javascript, html, css for front end (client side), Java & PHP for back end (server side).
mobile: Android: Java/Javascript. Apple iOS, no idea.
games: no idea
Windows desktop: C#, VB.NET, Linux desktop: C++, Apple OS X desktop: no idea.

Python is very popular now too, you can start with this language.

This is just a generic answer, no one can prevent you from choosing different languages.

Watch some one hour tutorials on Youtube that teach you a specific language.

I'm afraid you will give up in less than 1 hour.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Narrow down what specific area you are wanting to get into and then ask us. You're pretty much listing every possible software out there which means nearly almost every possible language out there.

Also, once you know how to program and are an expert at your craft, you become language agnostic. Sure it will take some time to ramp up in a new technology, but a good company will know this and understand this. Sometimes they need people to come in and hit the ground running, some times they have enough of a buffer where you can come in and gradually ramp up on new tech.

It took me about 7 years into my career to realize this and get to this point. I probably would have learned that quicker had I not stuck around my first job for over 5 years though.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Web, mobile and games.
Most of that has been answered above.

For gaming, learn Unity or C++. Unity is written in C# I believe. But you can also write games in php or javascript too, if you want to wrap it in a web wrapper. My friend has a game on steam that is all written in web technology but you would never know.

If you plan on doing online gaming, you will also want to learn backend web technology, as well as learn about how to call web api's from whatever technology you are using. You will probably also want to learn database stuff if that is the case.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Web, mobile and games.
Actually, I still recommend you learn Python first since it's probably the simplest among all modern languages.

If you can't handle Python, forget about others.

Start with what variables mean and how they work. Some people can't even comprehend these basic concepts.

If after watching / reading Python tutorials and you think it's too easy, you can switch to other programming languages.

Your time will no be wasted. Remember, there is no programmer in the world who know only one language.

In programmers' world, you have to adapt to survive.

EDX is a good source for learning computer languages. I believe most courses are free.

https://www.edx.org/learn/computer-programming

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
For OSX/IOS you would probably use Objective-C or Swift. Game programming, as purbeast points out, is really a mixed bag.
Depends what you are doing on iOS though. At this point, if I started a new iOS app, it would probably be in React Native so that I could deploy to Android with minimal work, and then if I wanted to do anything OS specific, I'd just make bridge calls.

Objective-C is so odd I hate the syntax, but it has the advantage over Swift in that you don't have to upgrade your versions of code when new versions of Swift come out. I ran into a major headache going from Swift 2 to Swift 3 that took me at least a week to get everything working. And then if you have Pods and stuff too you may run into issues with those and their version of Swift too.

EDIT:

Speaking of game programming being a mixed bag, the game I wrote on iOS was in Objective-C using Cocos2D as the game SDK. And then I used this thing called apportable to port it to Android and I had a bunch of bridge calls to do native stuff, since things like hooking to Facebook and ads were at the native OS level. That was a fun learning experience.

But I bring that up just because as you stated, gaming languages can be anything really.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
What languages does your college or university offer or model their computer science degree around? That's probably going to be the best introduction to programming and building the fundamental knowledge of logic and math. From the tone of your posts, it doesn't sound like this comes natural to you and you lack the general context to just jump into programming as a career.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
This is a silly question because frequently the language is associated with the type of job. Without a deeper description of what you are looking for one cannot give you an answer that meets your personal objective. If your objective is 'to get a job' and you don't mind what type of job and don't require any additional training (i.e, a low level grunt job) then you could learn javascript or even cobol and find a job. Just because more companies use a particular language than another language you can't presume that learning that language will increase your chances of getting a job. Btw many companies use sql so perhaps you should learn sql along with oracle and get a job at a pharmacy or 7-11.
-
Personally I wouldn't learn a language at this point. I'd start by learning the fundamentals which (from the way you phrase your question) you seem to lack.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
There are a bunch of avenues you can take. It is up to you.

I'll say this, the more popular a language, the easier it is going to be to get a job. However, often it makes it harder to make a higher salary. Niche languages often command higher salaries (at the expense of having less jobs available).

That doesn't mean you can't make a lot of money doing java/javascript programming. Rather, the majority of jobs for those languages won't be high salary.

More important than language, though, is which industry and company you go to work for.

For example, you can make a ton of money working for the likes of google, amazon, or some finance company.

On the flip side, making a webpage for a local church or school isn't going to net you any sort of salary.