Programming a Gameboy Advance

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
Hi Chaps,

For my final year project in University I am considering writing an Inventory tracking system which runs on a Gameboy Advance :)confused:!). I am considering purchasing this kit to assist with connecting the PC and GBA together (creating my own electronics is not one of my strong points!).

I know its a long shot but does anyone have any previous experience in this area??

Cheers,

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
There is a story going round about a bloke who is trying to get a webserver running from a gba, why not give him an e-mail ? site here

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
Cheers for the link! I might just drop that guy an email, it looks like his project is much more hefty than mine :Q

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Wouldn't you be a lot better off building something like this on the Palm platform? Just entering data on a GBA, which only has 2 buttons, would be a pain.

YNos

Jan 7, 2002
Hey, ive had an idea about doing something similar to this, but have a version of qnx, or linux on the cart.....the problem i have been running into is finding out how the #ell to get a keyboard<and{maybe}a mouse to interface somehow...... it would be nice to be able to have some sort of network connectivity<this could be a GRRREAT remote admin tool.
Craig "Y Nos"

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Those devices are incredible :) I have 2 types for N64 and the previous model of that for GB Color. Try GBADEV.ORG for tons of info...

YNos: There is a Bluetooth add-on coming (I suggested it to Nintendo before it was even released to avoid the cell-phone adapter being Japanese-only and having to have so many cables for multiplayer, but they didn't ever implement it themselves)! That could make a good interface for accessories don't you think?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The GBA can "boot" to its link port so that certain games can have single-cart multiplayer modes.

There is a device available at www.lik-sang.com which allows you to create small programs for the GBA and transfer them over a special PC cable which interfaces through the link port. This would be FAR cheaper than a GBA Flash Linker and also more appropriate for your project. The Flash Linker is usually used to play copied commercial GBA games downloaded over the Internet. It is also used to dump cartridge ROM data to a PC.

www.lik-sang.com

[edit]
The AGB Xchanger Pro is a repackaged GBA Flash Linker.
This happens a lot with shady hardware vendors from Hong Kong. For instance, my "Dr. V64 Jr 512" is labeled as a "E64 Jr. 512".
The AGB Xchanger uses the same packaging as the original GBXchanger from Bung Enterprises. Bung was shut down by Nintendo, but their products are appearing under different names/manufacturers.
[/edit]

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Here is a direct link to the product I described. Another advantage of using this is that it can stay connected to the PC. If you write special interface software, it can update the inventory database in real-time.

psj.dev

May 14, 2021
The GBA can "boot" to its link port so that certain games can have single-cart multiplayer modes.

There is a device available at www.lik-sang.com which allows you to create small programs for the GBA and transfer them over a special PC cable which interfaces through the link port. This would be FAR cheaper than a GBA Flash Linker and also more appropriate for your project. The Flash Linker is usually used to play copied commercial GBA games downloaded over the Internet. It is also used to dump cartridge ROM data to a PC.

www.lik-sang.com

[edit]
The AGB Xchanger Pro is a repackaged GBA Flash Linker.
This happens a lot with shady hardware vendors from Hong Kong. For instance, my "Dr. V64 Jr 512" is labeled as a "E64 Jr. 512".
The AGB Xchanger uses the same packaging as the original GBXchanger from Bung Enterprises. Bung was shut down by Nintendo, but their products are appearing under different names/manufacturers.
[/edit]

A long shot in the dark on a near two decade old post, but I've been hunting for an E64 Jr 512/Dr V64 Jr 512 for a long time for a research endeavor. Do you still have the E64/V64Jr?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
A long shot in the dark on a near two decade old post, but I've been hunting for an E64 Jr 512/Dr V64 Jr 512 for a long time for a research endeavor. Do you still have the E64/V64Jr?
Sure do. :)
Sc4KF7ll.jpg

nHs4DQkl.jpg

I recently tried it with a PS1Digital-modified Playstation and a Bung Multi Xchanger so I could use the Playstation like a CD drive for the N64. :) I didn't have the Bung Multi Xchanger back in the day though I did have the de-branded GB Xchanger and re-branded Doctor GB Card 64M ("Mr. Flash 64M") which are all interoperable as part of the Multi Game Doctor Series 3. Last month I bought another properly-branded GB Xchanger with a Doctor GB Card 16M so my MGD3 collection is actually still growing. As the original owner of this unit and someone who was already active in the scene with earlier hardware (original Doctor V64) I can probably help with your research. Just gotta dig myself out of the hole this natural disaster put me in (direct hit from an EF-4 tornado) and I'll be happy to help. :)

Reactions: NTMBK and psj.dev