"Profits have been privatized, losses socialized"

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Interesting that he said this was all due to lack of regulation in markets over the last couple years.

Also said that FDIC has $50 billion, but used $8 billion on IndyMac and will have to use half of their total reserves to bail out WAMU depositors.

Cramer last year projected "subprime" losses at up to $500 billion, $1 trillion sounds reasonable now, and Nouriel Rabini says when all other junk loans such as credit cards, etc. are taken into account, losses could add up to $2 trillion dollars.

Great job, Bush!!! :roll:

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Because GWB made everyone loan out $$$ that they didnt have to people who couldnt pay it back?

I blame the banks themselves, and maybe if anything the govt for not breaking the banks into smaller entities not "too big to fail".

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Is this really a problem of loaning just to "subprime" borrowers only, or, plain and simple, just overextending credit to used to be prime, alt-A, and true subprime borrowers?

I mean, are you really arguing that Ed McMahon was a "subprime" borrower?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
CNBC Asia webstream just announced that the government will take an 80% stake in AIG in return for a $85 billion bridge loan (in addition shotgun $to 70 billion shotgun private consortium the government rustled up over the weekend).

I trust Ben Bernanke, view Hank Paulson as a perfect for the Bush Administration (this is not a compliment), but really have to wonder that, given the capital reserves of the US government allows them to be a patient long term investor, will they end up making money on this deal over the long term?

Too Big to Fail?: talking head clip on CNBC Asia said market could be down 1000 points tomorrow, if AIG had been allowed to declare bankruptcy.