Professors suck a$$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
I asked two professors and a supervisor at work MONTHS before the deadlines. They sent it to a school where the deadline was in december and I just have to ask them to send it to other schools since they have everything written up already.

Can't say I have too much sympathy for you.

while it's true that he should have asked earlier, the fact is that the professor said he would be able to write the letters....

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
just playing devils advocate here...

what if he had a family emergency or something came up?

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: spacejamz
just playing devils advocate here...

what if he had a family emergency or something came up?

That I can completely understand. If that were the case, I just hope he'd contact the schools on my behalf and let them know that I was not at fault and he was late in submitting the reference as he had to attend a family emergency. I'm sure they would understand.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I know you are just venting and it is a crappy situation, but I hope you realize it is largely your doing. It's your life being affected and to cut it so close and on top of that expect the professor to work over holiday and/or during one of the busiest times of the year on your behalf is short-sighted. In an ideal world he would do it, but not every professor is perfect and you chose the worst possible situation to place faith in your professor. Maybe your university is different but at least 25% of my professors when I was in college would have flaked out on this. I would want the letter to be in a month in advance so that I had time to find a backup prof in case the dude/dudette flaked out.