Professor suspended for allegedly forcing students to sign pledge to vote for Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2012
This is just wrong, How dare that professor violate liberty, those students shouldn't have to vote for obama if they dont want to. I have no tolerance for people like her

FIRE her immediately and let it be known that this nonsense wont be tolerated

Imagine if this was a republican that did this, the media would be all over it and there would be outrage over this but because its obama there is nothing

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
This is just wrong, How dare that professor violate liberty, those students shouldn't have to vote for obama if they dont want to. I have no tolerance for people like her

FIRE her immediately and let it be known that this nonsense wont be tolerated

So you're for Big Government interfering with personal lives? Because you're for it interfering with her freedom of speech.
These are liberal controls, ya' know. Conservatives would deregulate and let the free market give consumers the choice between colleges where they're asked to sign pledges or where they aren't.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
holy crap, what a complete idiot. Fired for sure...but convicted for violating this title? what would such a conviction mean?

:hmm:

Apr 27, 2012
So you're for Big Government interfering with personal lives? Because you're for it interfering with her freedom of speech.

FORCING people to pledge support to obama, thats a violation of there liberty, The fact that you dont understand this sums up the left wingers pretty well:D

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I posted the evidence I used. Their own material says they are owned by the people of the county.
If you have something that says different, post it.

http://www.brevardcc.edu/discover-bcc/administration/index.cfm

Brevard Community College is directed by a five-member Board of Trustees appointed by the Governor. The current chair is Alan H. Landman, a Melbourne attorney.

It is a part of the Florida College system, which is part of the Florida State Department of Education.

http://www.fldoe.org/cc/

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
FORCING people to pledge support to obama, thats a violation of there liberty,

Forced how?
Do you know what the word means?

The fact that you dont understand this sums up the left wingers pretty well:D

Taking a conservatard site's byline at first sight when the actual description of the act does not necessarily imply such a thing sums up the right wingers pretty well.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And inexcusable. Nothing more or less than this. She is unfit for her position.

I agree if the story is accurate. If there were a discussion and she suggested that people vote for Obama, then I don't see a reason for outrage. If she used her position to coerce people that's another. I'll wait a bit. Heaven knows this week has been full of uncertain news, and I'm a bit reluctant to reach for the whip.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Totally wrong if it happened as stated.

LOL at the fact that it was brought to their attention by the parents of a student as opposed to a student themselves.

Apr 27, 2012
I agree if the story is accurate. If there were a discussion and she suggested that people vote for Obama, then I don't see a reason for outrage. If she used her position to coerce people that's another. I'll wait a bit. Heaven knows this week has been full of uncertain news, and I'm a bit reluctant to reach for the whip.

Even if she suggested people vote for obama its still wrong because of her position. I wouldn't be surprised if she used her position since many professors are liberal and biased.

This professor must be fired for this attack on Freedom:(

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Joining a system does not necessarily make one owned by it. You need more than that.

Maybe you are clueless when the board is appointed by the governor, they are employees of the state. Being owned by the people in the county does NOT make them owned by the county it self and employees of the county.

The fact that they are controlled by the state, and are part of the state system makes them employees of the state.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Maybe you are clueless when the board is appointed by the governor, they are employees of the state. Being owned by the people in the county does NOT make them owned by the county it self and employees of the county.

The fact that they are controlled by the state, and are part of the state system makes them employees of the state.

As I said, prove it. All you're doing is posting unsupported assertions. And you didn't even get down to the faculty. The board is a separate entity.

Last edited:

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Totally wrong if it happened as stated.

LOL at the fact that it was brought to their attention by the parents of a student as opposed to a student themselves.

Many students live with a Liberal bias daily in schools. Why should BCC students think it would change if they complained? Other than getting them an F?

Sorry I experienced this in many classes where some profs would even belittle the thought of voting for a person with a "R" next to their name that no one would even consider speaking up with an opinion that differed from theirs due to fear of a grade reduction or just being singled out as a "non informed person."

Sorry I did not see anyone else go there so I did.

This Lady is an obvious loon who thought she was untouchable. It's to bad her students did not stand up to the bully.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
As I said, prove it. All you're doing is posting unsupported assertions. And you didn't even get down to the faculty. The board is a separate entity.

You are the one who made unsupported assertions no were did it say they are controlled by the county or employees of the county.

The college is governed by the board it is NOT a separate entity like you are claiming. Faculty hiring and firing are done by the board and executive staff that serve at pleasure of the board. The are by extension state employee. The county has absolutely no say in the staffing.

FACT: You posted a bunch of bullshit and refuse to admit you were wrong when called out on it.

Last edited:

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Many students live with a Liberal bias daily in schools. Why should BCC students think it would change if they complained? Other than getting them an F?

Sorry I experienced this in many classes where some profs would even belittle the thought of voting for a person with a "R" next to their name that no one would even consider speaking up with an opinion that differed from theirs due to fear of a grade reduction or just being singled out as a "non informed person."

Sorry I did not see anyone else go there so I did.

This Lady is an obvious loon who thought she was untouchable. It's to bad her students did not stand up to the bully.

I can see that, but there's anonymous ways of doing things which are better than having your mommy call for you.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
You are the one who made unsupported assertions no were did it say they are controlled by the county or employees of the county.

The evidence I linked says the school is owned by the people of the county. It does not say it is owned by the state. The collective bargaining of the faculty is not with the state. The board of trustees does not stand in trust of the people of the state.

The assertion is yours that the faculty are employees of the state. You have provided NOTHING that says this.

The college is governed by the board it is NOT a separate entity like you are claiming. Faculty hiring and firing are done by the board and executive staff that serve at pleasure of the board. The are by extension state employee.

The board is not the faculty. They are separate entities. The faculty has a union that bargains with the board -- they are not the board.
Even if the people of the county have a bargain with the state for them to hire and manage their board, this would not make the faculty employees of the state.

FACT: You posted a bunch of bullshit and refuse to admit you were wrong when called out on it.

It is you posting the unsupported assertions.
I said prove that they are state employees. Now do it or shut up.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
The evidence I linked says the school is owned by the people of the county. It does not say it is owned by the state. The collective bargaining of the faculty is not with the state. The board of trustees does not stand in trust of the people of the state.

The assertion is yours that the faculty are employees of the state. You have provided NOTHING that says this.

The board is not the faculty. They are separate entities. The faculty has a union that bargains with the board -- they are not the board.
Even if the people of the county have a bargain with the state for them to hire and manage their board, this would not make the faculty employees of the state.

It is you posting the unsupported assertions.
I said prove that they are state employees. Now do it or shut up.

You are the one who keeps posting bullshit without any evidence, I provide countless evidence the school is controled by the state. You just post some bullshit instead.

Provide evidence they are county employee like you keep claiming, or shut up.

You clearly are either trolling or are really dumb and have no clue how the entities actually work and opperate.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Ahhhh, Rich, so often the calm voice of reason! Turns she didn't force any student to sign anything:

That's what happened to Assistant Professor Sharon Sweet of Brevard Community College in Melbourne after a student reported that she handed out bookmarks advertising the website gottavote.org, an online product of Obama For America, the president’s re-election campaign organization.

The bookmarks asked students to “pledge that I will vote for President Obama and Democrats up and down the ticket.”

Still, what she did do crosses the line of propriety. However, if all she did was hand out these partisan bookmarks without any addtional proseletyzing or campaigning by her, then I think her sanction should fall short of being fired.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
What did this professor teach? English or some course that is related to politics?

If it was the former how did the election even get brought up during the course?

Trying to force people to promise to vote a particular way is stupid. Especially since they can just say they'll vote one way to get someone off of their back and vote how they really want to.

*If* she did that and actually broke laws she should be fired.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
What did this professor teach? English or some course that is related to politics?

If it was the former how did the election even get brought up during the course?

Trying to force people to promise to vote a particular way is stupid.
Especially since they can just say they'll vote one way to get someone off of their back and vote how they really want to.

*If* she did that and actually broke laws she should be fired.

RTFT. She's a math teacher. At the very least, you could have informed yourself just two posts up. She didn't force anyone to promise to vote at all.

Here, I'll repost what did happen:

That's what happened to Assistant Professor Sharon Sweet of Brevard Community College in Melbourne after a student reported that she handed out bookmarks advertising the website gottavote.org, an online product of Obama For America, the president’s re-election campaign organization.

The bookmarks asked students to “pledge that I will vote for President Obama and Democrats up and down the ticket.”

No "coercion." She just handed out partisan bookmarks. As I said above, this did step over the line of propriety, but it wasn't the hysterical lie that the "press" first propagated.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
RTFT. She's a math teacher. At the very least, you could have informed yourself just two posts up. She didn't force anyone to promise to vote at all.

That information wasn't in the original posters link. And that is what I was replying to actually.