Professor orders $5,000 Dell XPS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
He's a CS professor, but still, that's a lot of money on a rig that he probably won't utilize. Why do I care? Because everyone here is b1tching about how there's not enough money to spend, and people spend $5000 on a desktop and $100 on a mouse like it's nothing. If he wants to play games in his free time, he should buy the stuff himself, I mean he's a freakin' college professor.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: f4phantom2500
I keyed in a purchase requisition document that shows that a professor here bought a Dell XPS 710 with a QX6700, 4GB RAM, 2 8800GTX's, 2 160GB 10,000 rpm drives in a RAID 0 array (I guess those Raptor drives made for Dell or whatever?) and a 20" Widescreen monitor. My question is why would a professor need this kind of rig? Obviously it's not for just tooling around, and I don't think it's for some sort of lab thing since I mean, come on, being a professor I think he'd have access to all the computing power he'd need, besides why would he need dual 8800GTX's? If I didn't know any better I'd say he was just trying to get a super gaming rig on the school's dime. Can anyone think of a good application for such a computer for a professor?

Your job is to be a key monkey not to ask questions. :p

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
/thread for not offering to built it for him and save him some money and make some yourself

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I keyed in a purchase requisition document that shows that a professor here bought a Dell XPS 710 with a QX6700, 4GB RAM, 2 8800GTX's, 2 160GB 10,000 rpm drives in a RAID 0 array (I guess those Raptor drives made for Dell or whatever?) and a 20" Widescreen monitor. My question is why would a professor need this kind of rig? Obviously it's not for just tooling around, and I don't think it's for some sort of lab thing since I mean, come on, being a professor I think he'd have access to all the computing power he'd need, besides why would he need dual 8800GTX's? If I didn't know any better I'd say he was just trying to get a super gaming rig on the school's dime. Can anyone think of a good application for such a computer for a professor?

Let me answer this for you as I am the type to buy the $4k comp through a university. Sometimes we receive a grant that specifies a certain amount of money earmarked for electronic equipment/computer equipment. Most Universities fiscal year ends on June 30th and we have to spend the money by that time. Well then it turns into a "O ******!!!!!!!!!" so we purchase $4k computers to spend the money.

In example I just received notice yesterday that I got a $15k grant where 11k is on electronic equipment. I have to spend that money by June 30th. O ******!!!!!

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Pegun
/thread for not offering to built it for him and save him some money and make some yourself

Too much bureaucracy for that to happen; plus he's CS, so probably 95% of his students could do it anyway.

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Tobolo

Let me answer this for you as I am the type to buy the $4k comp through a university. Sometimes we receive a grant that specifies a certain amount of money earmarked for electronic equipment/computer equipment. Most Universities fiscal year ends on June 30th and we have to spend the money by that time. Well then it turns into a "O ******!!!!!!!!!" so we purchase $4k computers to spend the money.

In example I just received notice yesterday that I got a $15k grant where 11k is on electronic equipment. I have to spend that money by June 30th. O ******!!!!!

Did I tell you that you're my favorite AT'er, and I don't live that far from you ;) ;) ;)

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006

Our Fiscal Year starts in September, and this form was filled out last month, so it wasn't near the end of the fiscal year. I think it may have been a similar situation, just with a different deadline.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

Did I tell you that you're my favorite AT'er, and I don't live that far from you ;) ;) ;)

I didn't mention it cause I didnt want to go to much into it. But majority of the amount is going to be going to purchase certain items that go for about $300 and have a 4 letter name. I shouldn't say so I wont but you can guess. So think about how many I'm buying.