Professor McConaughey University of Texas.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No, he's not a professor. He's an instructor. Even being a new PhD doesn't get you actual professorship. You have to start as assistant professor.

That title is basically saying that Wooderson has tenure at UT Austin, which obviously isn't true, lol.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
No, he's not a professor. He's an instructor. Even being a new PhD doesn't get you actual professorship. You have to start as assistant professor.

That title is basically saying that Wooderson has tenure at UT Austin, which obviously isn't true, lol.

umm it says he was a visiting instructor for several years and then the university hired him as a professor.

In recognition of his professional pedigree and personal investment in student success, Matthew McConaughey has been appointed a #TEXASMoodyprofessor of practice. @McConaughey will continue to teach the #UTScriptoScreen class in @UTRTF. pic.twitter.com/9goKkc6U0A
— TEXAS Moody (@UTexasMoody) August 28, 2019

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
umm it says he was a visiting instructor for several years and then the university hired him as a professor.

the article said that. the article is incorrect. His actual title would be "lecturer." Unless he has a PhD in film studies, he can't actually be a professor.

I know it's quibbling, but that's just how it works. :D

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
the article said that. the article is incorrect. His actual title would be "lecturer." Unless he has a PhD in film studies, he can't actually be a professor.

I know it's quibbling, but that's just how it works. :D

good grief

PROFESSOR OF PRACTICE.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Can't they just give him an honorary PhD to get around that?

I'm not sure it works that way. These positions are tied to salary, which is based on credentials. Anyone can call such a person "a professor," as I'm sure the students would, but HR can't recognize it that way. Same way plenty of lecturing, or even research faculty (PhDs) aren't actually professors, but assistant professors.

The titles have a specific meaning. Professors have tenure. I don't mean to quibble, because I think this is kinda cool.

Nov 20, 2009
Can't they just give him an honorary PhD to get around that?
No. Just having a PhD doesn't get you automatic professorship. Many years will pass going from Assistant, to Associate to Professor. Not only has my wife gone through all of that madness, but she's also on a tenure and promotion committee. Having a PhD means a lot less today than say 50 years ago. Part of this is because whenever you have a job opening these days requiring a PhD you will ultimate get thousands of qualified applicants for the one job.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No. Just having a PhD doesn't get you automatic professorship. Many years will pass going from Assistant, to Associate to Professor. Not only has my wife gone through all of that madness, but she's also on a tenure and promotion committee. Having a PhD means a lot less today than say 50 years ago. Part of this is because whenever you have a job opening these days requiring a PhD you will ultimate get thousands of qualified applicants for the one job.
That's one reason I walked out on my PhD after three years. It was taking up to seven years from masters to PhD, then three to five year post-doc, then assistant => associate =>tenure if you could get a job. People were in their late thirties before landing assistant prof jobs. "Screw it", said I. Academia had become a scam.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

He is Matthew Freaking McConaughey, though. They'll probably make an exception for him because he's famous.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yep. Academics are stupidly complicated. I've had assistant/associate professorships at medical schools and it gets insane. Assistant, associate, full professors. Prefixed vs suffixed. Research vs educational vs clinical tracks. It's nuts. I think a lot of it is nonsense quite frankly.