Professional sports team relocations where the team name makes sense in both cities

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Professional sports team relocations sometimes lead to absurd team names for the receiving city. For example the Minneapolis Lakers relocated to Los Angeles in 1960, creating the Los Angeles Lakers - a strange irony given Los Angeles' arid climate. The Vancouver Grizzlies relocated to Memphis in 2001, creating the Memphis Grizzles. There are no Grizzly bears in Memphis. Other egregious relocation names include the Utah Jazz (formerly New Orleans Jazz. Hard to imagine Mormons rocking out to jazz music.), St. Louis Rams (formerly Los Angeles, and now again Los Angeles).

I can think of one instance where a relocation made sense in terms of team name. The San Diego Rockets relocated from San Diego to Houston, becoming the Houston Rockets in 1971. The "Rockets" name was originally after the Atlas Missile, which was being developed in San Diego. The "Rockets" name makes sense in Houston as well, since Houston is home to NASA's Johnson Space Center. I always assumed the Rockets were originally from Houston since the name fit so well.

Can anyone else think of a sports team relocation where there was no name change, but the team name still made sense after moving? I'm also open to suggestions of egregious names that make no sense for where the team is located now.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Chicago Bears wants to move to a racetrack in Arlington Heights. Not sure what's gonna happen to Soldier Field after their lease expires 2026.

Arlington Heights was considered as an option for a new home for the team when they were looking to move from Wrigley Field in 1970. The Bears had shared Wrigley Field with the Cubs going back to 1921

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/8...tional-racecourse-chicago-bears-redevelopment.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Not sure about no name change after relocating. Most of them rename.

--------------------------------
Yes, Dodgers makes no sense. Dodgers being the name of people who dodged trolleys in New York City. Apparently the Dodgers were also nicknamed the Bridegrooms before Dodgers became the official name. Crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brainonska511

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Too lazy to look up if they've relocated but my favorite NBA team name of all time used to be the Washington Bullets.

Talk about appropriate naming! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The most appropriate name for a professional team that was taken without cause. The Washington Bullets.

Reactions: Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
San Francisco Packers
Seattle Jets
Salt Lake Saints

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The most appropriate name for a professional team that was taken without cause. The Washington Bullets.

Never actually BEEN to downtown DC I take it? ;)

(things get mighty sketchy like 2 blocks from the Capitol)

EDIT: Sorry misunderstood.... thought you were questioning the name!

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Never actually BEEN to downtown DC I take it? ;)

(things get mighty sketchy like 2 blocks from the Capitol)

EDIT: Sorry misunderstood.... thought you were questioning the name!
I actually edited before posting my previous post because I tend to be politically correct on forums.

Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Can't think of a sports team with this name, but The Cougars would work anywhere they relocate to.

(...Jaguars or Panthers are technically the same thing; but also very much not the same thing)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I guess if the Washington Football Team moved the * Football Team would still work. Till they rename at least. Are they planning to rename themselves?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I guess if the Washington Football Team moved the * Football Team would still work. Till they rename at least. Are they planning to rename themselves?
The Spokane Washington Football Team! Seattle Seahawks rival.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
The name of the Boston - to Milwaukee - to Atlanta Braves made about as much (or as little) sense in all three cities.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The Vancouver Grizzlies relocated to Memphis in 2001, creating the Memphis Grizzles. There are no Grizzly bears in Memphis.

There's actually a history with the name "Grizzlies" in Memphis dating back to the 70s. They had a football team named that and they tried to get an NFL team, but it didn't happen. The name is part of Memphis sports history.

Grizzlies have prowled Memphis before | Why the Grizzlies mascot isn't completely ridiculous - Grizzly Bear Blues

Reactions: pete6032

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I suppose a team name such as "the bombers" would work pretty well in Oklahoma, or Boston, although it would be in very poor taste. :p

"The Boston Bombers are under pressure tonight, with only 1 goal lead and 5 minutes left on the timer!"

• Haha
Reactions: JEDI

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The Oakland Athletics fits in any city, and will still fit after they move to Las Vegas.

Can't think of a sports team with this name, but The Cougars would work anywhere they relocate to.

(...Jaguars or Panthers are technically the same thing; but also very much not the same thing)
Jaguars are not in the same genus as cougars/panthers/etc.