Professional Gaming

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I think we all dreamed about competing for top dollar in tournaments or getting endorsement deals.

I haven't really heard about this niche of the market except for the guy Fatal1ty (I only know because I have the x-fi card with his name on it).

How much money do the top 20% of players get per year?

Do you have to be part of a clan or can you go solo?

Any good websites with more info?

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I don't think any pro gamer gets a fixed income. Either they make money exclusively from winnings at big name sponsored tourneys, or in the case of Fatal1ty they get endorsements, or sometimes they sign a contract like Final Boss with MLG.

I'd say typically they make the same as any starting college grad, only without the security of an actual career. Nobody is paying these guys because they have skills, they get paid a little bit of money to draw a crowd, by somebody who makes even more money off that crowd. That's the guy you wanna be.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
LOL...

Why do you say that?

Is that the captial of competitive gaming?

starcraft is practically a national sport in SK

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One of the guys on the server I used to play on gets paid $30k a year just to PVP in WoW and go to the tournaments and stuff. Not too shabby, but I still make quite a bit more having an "actual job."

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Aikouka
One of the guys on the server I used to play on gets paid $30k a year just to PVP in WoW and go to the tournaments and stuff. Not too shabby, but I still make quite a bit more having an "actual job."

proof? i find that extremely hard to believe

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think we all dreamed about competing for top dollar in tournaments or getting endorsement deals.

I haven't really heard about this niche of the market except for the guy Fatal1ty (I only know because I have the x-fi card with his name on it).

How much money do the top 20% of players get per year?

Do you have to be part of a clan or can you go solo?

Any good websites with more info?

Major League Gaming

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
You mean like to compete in Mario 3 championships with the Power Glove?

I think it all depends on how many competitions you do and how many times you win. Kind of like being a professional poker player. If you don't play you don't get any money.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
proof? i find that extremely hard to believe

I don't know the rules of the contract, but the guy goes to the competitions and such. I can't remember if he was offered the contract or he actually got it. I know there was some big hooplah about his partner refusing to compete or something (I guess he didn't want to sign) so the Warlock (surprised?) had to fight 1v2. If you go and watch the old WoW tournaments, you'll see them play... I think he lost in the final round of WoW 2v2 (the one where you could win money + laptop).

I can't remember his name as I don't really play much on that server anymore (except for my undead rogue). Starts with a 'D' though if I remember correctly.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I won second place in a Street Fighter 2 tournament once. I got a little trophy and 6 months of free credits at the arcade (winner got a full year). I guess that doesn't really count though.

KT

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I won second place in a Street Fighter 2 tournament once. I got a little trophy and 6 months of free credits at the arcade (winner got a full year). I guess that doesn't really count though.

KT

That's still impressive.

That game was so popular with so many great players. How old were you when you won?

Heller

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2006
I've won 6 local and 3 major cs and css Lans.

most won from a lan was a ~$400 video card and $25k divided into 5 + room and board so i walked away with ~$4300

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

That's still impressive.

That game was so popular with so many great players. How old were you when you won?

It was the Summer before Grade 12, so 17.5. I was easily the best white guy there, though there was not much competition since there were only about 3 white guys total, everyone else was Asian. Final match was a best of three, I won the first game as Zangief against Guile, then he beat me twice as Chun Li (I was Zangief once, then Ryu); it was very close. Good memories. :)

KT

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
I would have loved to have done this when I was younger, but now I'm older and bitter...mostly because of stuff like this that I'm too old and bitter to do now.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I won a TFC (Team Fortress Classic) tournament YEARS AND YEARS AGO at a LAN party here in Florida with my 5v5 team at the time. We each got Battlefield 1942 (brand spanking new at the time), shirts, stickers, Bawls, a Plantronics Audio .90 headset (brand new and AMAZING at the time), a Logitech MX500 mouse, some type of nice mouse pad, and other dumb little promo items.

We also won a TF2 competition here at a smaller LAN and I got a Gigabyte case and some other promo items. I'm using the case right now and I love it! HERE is a pic of my TF2 team from the LAN party, myself, and my old case... You will see why I love my new case so much.

As for pro gaming - I'll stick to my engineering degree. :)

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
I won $10 off a guy in an arcade playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I can't make a living off that though.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I automatically resent anyone who can do this. I can't. Remember that Justin Wills tard? That's why I dislike pro gamers. People are getting paid to act like that kid.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I remember back in the day. Me and a clan used to play in CS tourney's in downtown LA. Won a couple bucks too. Good Ol' Days...............

Heller

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
I automatically resent anyone who can do this. I can't. Remember that Justin Wills tard? That's why I dislike pro gamers. People are getting paid to act like that kid.

Link to said Justin Wills?

Never herd of the guy..

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Obviously endorsements will pay out much more than actual competition but to get those endorsements you must compete and constantly win or at the very least finish in the top ranks. Professional sports is also like this. Sure get paid a few million dollars a year for performance (footbal, baseball, basketball, golf, etc.,) but endorsements can triple that easily. The real money is in endorsements. Look at Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan as examples. They make far more selling a brand than actual competitional prizes and/or salaries.

Personally, I couldnt game for a living. To me gaming is a hobby and an enjoyment. If I had to do it for a living it'd be too much like work and no longer fun. But thats just me. Kudos to those that can make a living at it though. :)

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
LOL...

Why do you say that?

Is that the captial of competitive gaming?

Professional gamers over there are as popular as professional athletes are here.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Chosonman
I won $10 off a guy in an arcade playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I can't make a living off that though.

Oh the memories!
I used to play against people in the arcade at Killer Instinct. I had a friend who worked there and I would play this while he cleaned up after closing from 10pm to midnight and sometimes after. I got really good with the unlimited credits and bet other kids $1 if they beat me, and vice versa. I was probably 16 1/2 - 17 years old then.