Professional courtesy in job offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2001
11,391
3
0
Alright, here's the situation:

- I've been working at a position as a temp-to-permanent position with two other people, with a 90-day temp status.
- The job in itself is alright, but the boss is somewhat absent-minded, it's a small company so everyone wears many hats here.
- It's been 3 weeks past the 90-day period, and well, one of us is hired at that point, but the rest of us are not.
- The boss has been scheduling us to be on the late shift, practically unsupervised (there are others, but one floor above), and telling us that there's nothing to worry about.
- Oddly enough, our temp agency liaison gives us a call and tells us that we've both been given an offer as an official employee with benefits, and so on starting next week (finally! yay!)

- Well, the thing is, my neighbor who is mid-management at a different company, tells me that her company is hiring, and I have experience in that field; she offers to take my resume and give it to the HR place, and let them know that I have experience.

- Here's the question: What would be the general courtesy if I were to interview with the other position, was given an offer, and decide to take their offer instead? Should I take the initial offer, say mum about interviewing about the other position, and just up and leave if they were to give me a offer? What would you do in a situation like this?
 

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
1,155
45
91
In this economy... TAKE THE JOB. Then go ahead and interview for the other and compare the benefits etc and take the best job. I would give two weeks notice if you do decide to take the second job. Worst thing that happens is that you will never be hired back by that company again. However if they really like you they may counter offer the other company.
 
Last edited:

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
10,453
22
81
In this economy... TAKE THE JOB. Then go ahead and interview for the other and compare the benefits etc and take the best job. I would give two weeks notice if you do decide to take the second job. Worst thing is that happens that you will never be hired back by that company again. However if they really like you they may counter offer the other company.

pretty much this
 

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
10,277
125
106
In this economy... TAKE THE JOB.
It depends on what industry you work in. If you are doing anything with software development, there are quite a few jobs available.

Then go ahead and interview for the other and compare the benefits etc and take the best job. I would give two weeks notice if you do decide to take the second job. Worst thing that happens is that you will never be hired back by that company again. However if they really like you they may counter offer the other company.
But I do agree with this. Interview with both, If you get a better offer from one but not the other and you want to work with the other, let them know "Hey, I want to work for you, but I've got another offer that pays better."
 

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
7,492
0
0
People always should be looking for better employment. Don't worry about your current employer, he likely wouldn't hesitate to replace you.

Look out for yourself.
 

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
7,361
1
71
People always should be looking for better employment. Don't worry about your current employer, he likely wouldn't hesitate to replace you.

Look out for yourself.

This. Make sure they have the budget for your position as well just to be safe.
 

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
62,826
11,235
136
In this economy... TAKE THE JOB. Then go ahead and interview for the other and compare the benefits etc and take the best job. I would give two weeks notice if you do decide to take the second job. Worst thing that happens is that you will never be hired back by that company again. However if they really like you they may counter offer the other company.

Since the company hasn't officially notified him of a job offer nor actually hired him, he's still technically a temp worker...in which case, I'd give the resume to the friend for consideration at the other company...and interview if they ask...the OP's not obligated to take the other job if it doesn't meet his standards, (working conditions, wages/benefits, hours, etc.) but IMO, it's definitely a case of bird in hand>bird in bush...and a full-time job with benefits MIGHT be better than a temp-to-hire job that's already gone way past the "expiration date" for the temp hire.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.