Processor Replacement (Core 2 Duo or AMD A4)

dharmil007

Dec 27, 2014
Hi,

My System Config as follows :

AMD Phenom X6 1055T 2.8GHz
MSI 760GM P33 MotherBoard
1TB HDD WDC
6GB Kingston RAM
Antec 450W SMPS

I want to replace my processor &/or MotherBoard, as processor is faulty and not working
My Budget is strictly INR 3000. Not more then that.

As I have researched I have 2 options in Front of me :

1st Option :
Amd A4 5300 or 4000 = 3000 or 2800

2nd Option :
Intel Core 2 Duo + some Mobo ~ 4000
I will get 1500 for my Mobo.
Hence, total cost = 2500.

This system will be only used for WEb Browsing and Movies. No Gaming or any advanced softwares.

Please suggest which one to go from these or any other option if available.

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Hi,

My System Config as follows :

AMD Phenom X6 1055T 2.8GHz
MSI 760GM P33 MotherBoard
1TB HDD WDC
6GB Kingston RAM
Antec 450W SMPS

I want to replace my processor &/or MotherBoard.
My Budget is strictly INR 3000. Not more then that.

As I have researched I have 2 options in Front of me :

1st Option :
Amd A4 5300 or 4000 = 3000 or 2800

2nd Option :
Intel Core 2 Duo + some Mobo ~ 4000
I will get 1500 for my Mobo.
Hence, total cost = 2500.

This system will be only used for WEb Browsing and Movies. No Gaming or any advanced softwares.

Why you are selling this?
Remember something:
Either choice is a MASSIVE nerf. Unless the Mobo or the Processor are faulty or you want a low powered set, it will be a very bad idea.

dharmil007

Dec 27, 2014
Why you are selling this?
Remember something:
Either choice is a MASSIVE nerf. Unless the Mobo or the Processor are faulty or you want a low powered set, it will be a very bad idea.

I am not selling anything.
The processor is faulty and is not working.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
You mentioned mobo cost in the Core 2 Duo option, but not in the A4 5300 option. You do know both A4 5300 and A4 4000 require a different motherboard (socket) than the one you already have, right?

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I am not selling anything.
The processor is faulty and is not working.
Ouch, I am sorry for your loss... Ok, considering that the A4 is NOT compatible to that board, you better must go to the better option: Aka the Core 2 Duo.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Either will handle your usage easily.

The Intel means picking a board with IGP since you seem to be using it with your current build.

The AMD APU will leverage your DDR3 better. I just think it is the better pick.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
if you are sure the CPU is bad and the rest is good, buy some cheap Athlon II.

Aug 11, 2008
What are you using the PC for? Since you have a six core processor, are you doing some multithreaded work? If so I would avoid the A4. It is only a "dual core" and has pitiful cpu performance. A core 2 might be better, but depends on the cpu you select.

I agree with SPBHM. Best choice is to replace the cpu that you have.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Just grab a Gigabyte GA-78LMT v5 or 6 board and toss that CPU in there. Your processor is probably fine unless you had a power supply blow up or something.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
OP would be WAY better off buying a used Phenom X6 instead of any of the anemic alternatives suggested.

EDIT: Or, yeah, we need to determine which part is bad. I took the OP at his word that it was the CPU, this MUST mean a known good CPU was tested in the board, and it booted, right?

dharmil007

Dec 27, 2014
You mentioned mobo cost in the Core 2 Duo option, but not in the A4 5300

option. You do know both A4 5300 and A4 4000 require a different motherboard (socket) than the one you

already have, right?

Ahhh, I did not know that. my mobo is incompatible with A4
Thanks for the info.
Now A4 cancelled.
How well does Sempron/Athlon compare with Core 2 Duo ?
I am getting a Sempron/Athlon at around same price (without warranty)
and it is compatible with my board. (I am more inclined towards Sempron, because it is very cheap)
Also, the usage has reduced tremendously, as now its Just web browsing and occasional movies.

if you are sure the CPU is bad and the rest is good, buy some cheap Athlon II.

yea now I am planning to buy either a Sempron or Athlon. (more inclined towards Sempron, because its cheaper)

What are you using the PC for? Since you have a six core processor,

are you doing some multithreaded work? If so I would avoid the A4. It is only a "dual core" and has pitiful cpu

performance. A core 2 might be better, but depends on the cpu you select.

I agree with SPBHM. Best choice is to replace the cpu that you have.

Bought it back in 2011, when I used to do a lot of gaming and multi-threaded work.
But now I dont use it anymore and family members use it.
They only use it for web browsing and occasional movies.

How do you know your processor isn't working? It's usually the

motherboard that dies first.

Yes. I thought the same. Over the Years the CPU has eaten around 8 motherboards.
I have replaced 8 motherboards between 2011 and present.
Its still working, but the problem is that, sometimes it gets really hot around 95C, due to which the capacitors get fried and mobo needs to be replaced.
Everytime I replace a Mobo, it works for a month or so and then again RMA.
This time I thought I will replace the Processor for good.

dharmil007

Dec 27, 2014
Both are massive downgrades I think.
yes. I know.
But usage has also downgraded since then.
Now its only for web and ocassional movies.

OP would be WAY better off buying a used Phenom X6 instead of any of the anemic alternatives suggested.

Thought the same.
But its costly and dont wanna spend that much.

Just grab a Gigabyte GA-78LMT v5 or 6 board and toss that CPU in there. Your processor is probably fine unless you had a power supply blow up or something.

EDIT: Or, yeah, we need to determine which part is bad. I took the OP at his word that it was the CPU, this MUST mean a known good CPU was tested in the board, and it booted, right?

Yes. I thought the same. Over the Years the CPU has eaten around 8 motherboards.
Its still working, but the problem is that, sometimes it gets really hot around 95C, due to which the capacitors get fried and mobo needs to be replaced.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

That doesn't sound right. Sounds like the vcore was set wrong, or you didn't have proper cooling. Were you overclocking?

Always get motherboards with "solid caps". Other, cheaper, motherboards just don't last.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
If it's still working but motherboards can't use it safely due to power usage, why not disable some cores (ex:2) and/or lower operating frequency a bit (ex:10-20% and maybe disable turbo)?

You can effectively cut CPU power usage by half and still have a better CPU than any alternatives you have presented. You should also make sure the operating voltage of the CPU is set at default values.

PS : I doubt your CPU is faulty, my best guess is a combination of factors lead to motherboard failure. These factors may include high room temperature, low system ventilation, wrong voltage settings for the CPU, maybe power delivery problems. However, the beautiful part of lowering CPU max power usage by a massive amount is that you likely take care off all of these problems at once.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If it were a 1055T, that comes in both 125W and 95W versions. If he were using a 125W AMD CPU, in the cheapest available AMD AM2+/AM3/AM3+ mobos (likely 95W max), then no wonder he was blowing boards.

Edit: I just looked up your current board, it's a 95W board. Check your CPU ID code (might have to remove CPU cooler, clean off heatsink paste with isopropyl alcohol, and then re-apply heatsink paste before re-attaching heatsink. I'm not sure how to determine wattage otherwise, unless you have the original box for the CPU, in which case the wattage should be stated on the box.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X6 1055T - HDT55TFBK6DGR (HDT55TFBGRBOX).html
There are two different versions of Phenom II X6 1055T processor - HDT55TWFK6DGR with 95 Watt Thermal Design Power (TDP), and this HDT55TFBK6DGR with 125 Watt TDP. In addition to different TDP, this microprocessor also has lower maximum operating temperature and slightly higher range of operating core voltages than the 95 Watt version of 1055T. All other features of 95 Watt and 125 Watt versions of this model are alike - 2.8 GHz core frequency, 3 MB level 2 cache, 6 MB level 3 cache, compatibility with DDR3 memory, and, new for X6 family, Turbo Core feature, that boosts core frequency of active when half or more cores are idle.

Now... if he does have the 95W version, then something else is wrong. Either, poor case cooling, high ambients, or power-delivery issues.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2008
A CPU dying is EXTREMELY rare. Motherboards have an incredibly higher failure rate. I will never believe it's the CPU because of this.

Mar 10, 2006
A CPU dying is EXTREMELY rare. Motherboards have an incredibly higher failure rate. I will never believe it's the CPU because of this.

This. I have only once had a CPU die and it was because I abused the crap out of it vis-a-vis overclocking/overvolting.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I am thinking user error.. No way is that cpu dying.. Its either your mobo is crapping out or doesnt fully support your cpu or your not cooling it. something is a miss here. maybe save up and buy a new mobo cause that cpu is awesome and those others would be a huge crap shoot and would not be an upgrade but a down grade.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
This Thuban has outlived two motherboards. Still lives, alive and kicking :cool:

You were doing something really wrong. I could get my Thuban to 95C but only when I ran it passively without a fan. There is just no way at stock clocks/HSF/vCore, you could have such a high temp. Only a combination of things such as a bad mount, poor cooling/thermal contact, high ambient and high Vcore could lead to such a big T(c). Of course, having to run it this hot would effect your motherboard components in a bad way, not surprised you kept changing them like socks. Heh.

If you don't overclock, you can easily undervolt it to improve operating temps without sacrificing performance. It's still a very capable processor today, especially in mixed loads. But If you want to upgrade, I suggest a Skylake-based platform instead. The two options you have in mind, I would avoid like a plague.

He should get a board that supports 125W CPUs
One decent board here. Or this. Plenty of choice. AM3 is still well supported.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Pretty sure Larry solved the OP's problem. OP should get a board that supports 125W CPUs, or undervolt/underclock his existing setup. Of course we are waiting for verification, a good photo of the CPU heat spreader would be perfect.

Last edited: