Process used on intel z270 chipset

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
Are they still using the 22nm process the used on the z170 chipset or did they move it to the 14nm+ node? Seems intel has a habit of making their chipsets on the previous larger node. What is there reason for this? Is it due to using up all the capacity on processors or is it just to give them a larger margin when selling the chipsets to mobo manufacturers? Z270 would be more compelling with a 14nm+ chipset as it would lower the total system wattage and give off less heat as it basically has almost identical functions as the z170 chipset so the lower process would translate into less power and heat since it relly isn't doing anything more than z170.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is it due to using up all the capacity on processors or is it just to give them a larger margin when selling the chipsets to mobo manufacturers?

Yes, and yes. Better margins, more efficient use of overall fab capacity.

As far as power consumption, the difference is largely negligible. It's not quite the same situation that older Atom platforms were in, with a system chipset taking as much power as the main CPU.

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
Yes, and yes. Better margins, more efficient use of overall fab capacity.

As far as power consumption, the difference is largely negligible. It's not quite the same situation that older Atom platforms were in, with a system chipset taking as much power as the main CPU.

That's a shame tho every watt counts every tenth of a degree counts. Kaby lake offered such little improvements they could of at least bumped the chipset up to offer a little something more for upgraders. Heck they had to artificially limit optane to kaby lake to try to make it seem like something resembling an upgrade. And even next generation coffee lake brings nothing to the table except 2 extra cores on the same process and architecture. Such stagnation will allow Zen + to start outperforming intel if regular zen is almost there and intel continues their stagnation. I wish i worked at intel the last decade, they basically have gotten to sip coffee and eat donuts and get paid.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's a shame tho every watt counts every tenth of a degree counts.
On a Desktop PC? Really? You think so? I mean, the additional chips that motherboards add, probably take more power than the updated process tech for the system chipset would save. To say nothing, of adding a 120-250W GPU onto the rig. You think saving half of a watt on the system chipset matters there?

Edit: How much would that negligible improvement be worth for you, the consumer? Would you pay $5 more for a motherboard? $10 more? $20 more? To save a watt or two?

Again, doesn't really make any sense in this context. Maybe mobile, in a laptop, might make sense. And maybe Intel already has a line making chipsets for laptops and other mobile devices on the newest process. But even then, I doubt it.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
It just isn't economically feasible to manufacture every damn IC that a typical motherboard uses on the most advanced node, and it's going to stay that way whether you like it or not. You'd get a few watts of power savings at best.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Manufacturing the chipset on latest process may come into use for Intel U and Y processors (not sure if the chipsets are already?), but on desktop motherboards, as long as chipset does not comprise a sizable portion of power consumption, I don't see the chipset's process being important.

I currently use Intel Core i7-2600 (32 nm) on Q65 chipset (65 nm).