Question Problems with Win10 1909 "Secure Desktop" (UAC) - losing HDMI sync, resulting in black screen until re-plug or input switch on display.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just put together a rig with a RexGears 2 (white) micro-ATX cube case, and I used:
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen R5 1600
2x16GB GSkill DDR4-3200 @ 2933 XMP Profile 1
EVGA GTX 1650 SC Ultra, with 6--pin PCI-E connected
Thermaltake "Smart Series" 80Plus Gold 600W (Reseller bulk packed) from Newegg (currently $74.99, so not really a "cheap PSU", though I sometimes question ThermalTake's quality.)

I don't quite get it, and the problem seemed to get better, once I de-tuned the front 240mm fan (plugged into mobo header, with 3-pin connector), from "Full on", to "Default", which was around 450RPM, rather than 512RPM.

I thought that the fan might be pulling down the +5V line, that is used by the HDMI port, but then I realized, the fan should be on the +12V.

It's really odd. Installing CPU-Z, and then every time you start it, the screen blacks out for a split-second, and then comes back with the rest of the screen faded to black, with the UAC dialog in the center of the screen, "Allow" / "Cancel". Only, sometimes, when it appears, the screen turns black, and loses signal, and stays black, unless I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the GTX 1650 card, or change inputs on the display, which is an Avera 40" UHD TV with 4 HDMI inputs. I use the same 10' HDMI cable (branded) with all of my systems that I am "working on" at the moment. So the cable gets a bunch of use, and I'm not discounting that possibly, it has bit the big one, but it seems much more to be a PSU, mobo, or video card problem.

Does anyone else with an EVGA GTX 1650 D6 SC Ultra model, have this issue with Win10? I am running the very newest NV drivers, I was going to try rolling back a version or two next time I work on it, or rolling back to 441.41, which was a decent stable driver for me.

Edit: BTW, 'HWMonitor' (From makers of 'CPU-Z') shows my voltages are all OK, just over the threshhold, for +5V, +3.3V, and +12V, along with Vcore, Vsoc, DRAM voltage, etc. All look fine, even after running CPU-Z "stress test" for 10 minutes. So I don't *think* it's the PSU.

OTOH, this PSU took a dive off of a tower of parts I had stacked up, onto a bunch of energy drink cans, and even though it was wrapped in bubble wrap and tyvek, it pierced one of the cans, and there was some dampness on the outside. That sat for a day before using it. Maybe sometime got damaged in the fall, or wet? I'm not sure.

Does anyone know, does NVidia Control Panel have any settings like AMD Adrenaline does for "HDMI Assurance", that's supposed to re-attempt an HDMI / HDCP link, if it gets disconnected? Because that appears to be what's happening here.

None of my other rigs with GTX 1650 cards (all different models than the one in this PC), had this issue either, but I may have used a prior driver when I built those a week or so ago.

No mention of loss of HDMI sync after UAC dialog displayed here:

Amazed to find that AC Origins and AC Odyssey are still freezing. This is now the second driver update I'm having to roll back on account of these issues.

Hmm.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, un-installed everything Nvidia except for the Control Panel, rebooted, funny, had to C-A-D at a black BIOS screen (I AM overclocking slightly), and then log into Win10, installed 441.41, reboot, back into Win10, launch CPU-Z, launch HWMonitor, NO PROBLEMS. Did it again, NO PROBLEMS. Also, no horizontal "noise" lines across the screen, either. I guess I should check if the overclock / XMP is still applied. I did unplug the HDMI and plug it back into the back, when I got the black screen on restart, so maybe that cleared it up too, maybe it wasn't just the driver. Or maybe it was.