problems with Switch and Swivel connector

jdoren1990

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not gonna go into to much detail here but I am gonna try to explain the problem the best I can. My TV's are having issues with a connector and switch. I am getting Sound issues, artifacts, and noise.

Let me start off by saying both TV's work fine whenever you have HDMI cables from both ports going directly into a device (Ex. TV ------ PlayStation)

First, lets start with the issue of the swivel adapter. This issue happens on both TV's. I have my Roku mounted on the wall behind the TV to avoid making a bend in the HDMI cable. I used a swivel adapter I bought from Home Depot. I had the adapter plugged directly into the HDMI port on the back of the TV to make a 90 degree angle so I can eliminate the bend in the wire. However, when this adapter is plugged directly into the TV it causes a lot of artifacts and noise and the picture goes on and off. This seems pretty self explanatory that the TV's do not like that adapter. My question is why?

Now onto the Switch and I will try my best to make this as least confusing as I can.

On the S60, the switch worked fine the first night I had it, however the next day when I would turn on my PS3, which is plugged into the switch, I would get no signal. I took the HDMI cable going from the output on the switch to the TV and plugged it into the back of the PS3 to make sure the HDMI wire was ok and it worked fine. To test the switch, I brought it to the TV in our living room, plugged it in and it worked fine.

On The Samsung, the switch works fine. However, (and this is where it gets confusing) I have the Roku plugged into HDMI 1 and the switch in HDMI 2. If I'm watching the Roku and my PS3 is on, which is plugged into the switch, it works fine. I can switch back and forth between HDMI 1 and 2 with no problems, but if I turn off the PS3 and the switch is still powered on while watching the Roku, which is not even plugged into the switch, my sound starts chopping in and out. When I turn the power on the switch off, it stops and the sound on the Roku is fine. If i unplug the Roku from HDMI 1 and plug it into the switch, it works fine. WTF!!!

With that said...

HDMI1-----Switch(ON)------PS3(ON)
HDMI2-----------------------Roku

=FINE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
HDMI1-----Switch(ON)------PS3(OFF)
HDMI2-----------------------Roku

=CHOPPY SOUND
HDMI1--Switch(on)--PS3(ON or OFF)--Roku(ON or OFF)
HDMI2----(No cable in jack)--------

=FINE

Here is the link to the switch I am using:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8463&seq=1&format=2

And the swivel adapter:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-HDMI-Cable-Swivel-Adapter-MC8204A0122001/203705913#

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
HDMI 2 on panasonic plasmas in the ARC audio out. Check if you have the audio out over HDMI enabled. It may be having compatibility issues with the roku. If I were to bet on anything though, it would be the monoprice switch causing the issues. I had that switch and its kinda a piece of junk.