Problems with noise with res at or above 800X600 - Problem Solved

TemurKhan

Mar 6, 2001
I apologise if this is not the correct forum.

I am getting a high pitched whine from my crt when my system changes graphics res. I changed from a Gforce3 to a radeon 8500 and even tried an old Kyro that I had. I have tried 3 different crts and they all do it.

Suggestions, ideas, go away?

Thank you
The problem was found....

By accident, I needed to move some equipment and I moved the plug for the crt to a different spot on the ups. The sound disappeared. I checked and played with it and found that there were 2 receptacles on the ups that produced the problem. I have replaced the ups and the problem went away.

Thank you for the responses

Shaftatplanetquake

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
You mean it did it on 3 different monitors using 3 different video cards?

You tested out 9 configurations, and they all did it?

What resolution is considered "high"?

TemurKhan

Mar 6, 2001
The whine appears at 800 x 600. It happens each time the screen view changes in gaming it starts when the game appears and does not stop.

I tried each of the cards with each of the crt's. A total of 9 items. The noise stops as soon as I power the crt off.

CRT's: Veiwsonic svga
HP svga
and an off brand LEO svga

This is being run by a HP Pavillion 540n w/ P4-1.6 512 meg of memory, and everything turned off that can be turned off and the system still run.
The problem occurs at 800X600 when there is text mixed into the screen. If only a graphic no whine until the view changes or text appears.

TemurKhan

Mar 6, 2001
By accident, I needed to move some equipment and I moved the plug for the crt to a different spot on the ups. The sound disappeared. I checked and played with it and found that there were 2 receptacles on the ups that produced the problem. I have replaced the ups and the problem went away.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Graphics Cards 16

ASK THE COMMUNITY