Problems with my 4850

goldcrow

Nov 1, 2008
I recently purchased a Palit 4850 sonic with stock clocks of 685/1000. Temps are pretty low at 40ºC at idle and around 55ºC at the most in 3d games. The problem is there are some artifacting issues especially when I'm playing COD4. I really don't know if you call them artifacting cos when i tried ATItool to scan for artifacts, tons of yellow stuff started appearing but no errors were detected. I could try uploading a picture but im kinda a noob at this. Can anyone help me figure this out?

My powersupply is an FSP 500w 80+ efficiency and the rest of my system:
Q6600 stock, P5Q
1tb greenpower hd
2x2gb teamelite ram
one optical drive
4 case fans.

Thanks for the help guys.

goldcrow

Nov 1, 2008
I have the latest 8.10. The fan speed is at 60% atm. BTW, I was experiencing before some atikmdag.sys errors in vista and now im on xp, there arent BSODs anymore but artifacting is still here.

Nov 26, 2005
If you don't want to wait for a replacement but are going to go through the return process, get another one, send the one you have now back, and a month later when the replacement comes in, sell it on eBay or here. But it sounds like the card has some problems.

damngoodman

Nov 8, 2008
everyone is getting problem in 4850 sonic , 8.10 drivers are fixing for some of them may be u should wait for 8.11???

goldcrow

Nov 1, 2008
Should I rule out other components as the source of the problem then? I do believe power isn't lacking to cause artifacts right? I've been hearing memory issues with some 4850s esp. Palit's so should I just go for RMA?

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
You should definitely RMA, you aren't doing anything out of the ordinary and the card doesn't work. This is pretty much the reason for a warranty.

If you start trying to "fix" the problem yourself, you may end up doing something that voids the warranty.

IMO mfrs are putting on aftermarket cooling solutions and not paying enough attention to the VRMs on these cards. The VRMs get HOT, and are actually cooled very well by the stock ATi coolers as the fan sits right on top of the VRMs.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: goldcrow

...i tried ATItool to scan for artifacts, tons of yellow stuff started appearing but no errors were detected. I could try uploading a picture but im kinda a noob at this. Can anyone help me figure this out?
That sounds like a bad card so RMA it.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Just out of curiosity what is the temp on the vrms? Can you you read it with GPU-Z? Ty

And yes RMA it.

goldcrow

Nov 1, 2008
Oh sorry I wasn't able to check that anymore. Sent it out already, everyone ive talked to thinks its the vram. Had some memory dumping on the blue screen a while back.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Originally posted by: GaiaHunter

Hmm. Than what is that memio field? (not trying to be cocky, just a question)

If you read through that thread, he is saying that there are three temperature sensors in the GPU. They are located in different portions of the die, but they are all on the GPU.

Read the comments by W1zzard in that thread. He is the author of GPUz.

there are 3 sensors on the die (silicon), they are positioned in different strategic location, like shader core or memory controller. i dont know the exact locations and also don't know which number corresponds to which location. i do know for sure that all three are on the die, so inside of the gpu.

He has since learned which each corresponds to and they are now labeled in newer versions of GPUz, like memio, which is presumably the local temperature at the memory controller part of the GPU.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Originally posted by: Concillian
Originally posted by: GaiaHunter

Hmm. Than what is that memio field? (not trying to be cocky, just a question)

If you read through that thread, he is saying that there are three temperature sensors in the GPU. They are located in different portions of the die, but they are all on the GPU.

Read the comments by W1zzard in that thread. He is the author of GPUz.

there are 3 sensors on the die (silicon), they are positioned in different strategic location, like shader core or memory controller. i dont know the exact locations and also don't know which number corresponds to which location. i do know for sure that all three are on the die, so inside of the gpu.

He has since learned which each corresponds to and they are now labeled in newer versions of GPUz, like memio, which is presumably the local temperature at the memory controller part of the GPU.

I didn't read through the thread :) I was just looking at my GPU-Z :p