Problems with Far Cry 4

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I have an odd problem with Far Cry 4. I cannot control vehicles. Usually I play using a joystick for movement and firing and a track ball for looking and aiming. For the first fourteen hours this worked great. Now it does not. Control of my character still works fine. First, I lost the ability to move forward and backward in the gyrocopter. Now I have lost the ability to move ground vehicles left or right. I cannot steer with the joystick, or with the WASD keys. Movement with my character still works fine with either. Gyrocopter left and right works with both, forward and backward works with neither. Cars/trucks/four wheelers still work forward and backward with both, left and right with neither. Shutting down and restarting the game fixed the problem once, for a few minutes; now it does nothing. Rebinding vehicle controls to the arrow keys did nothing.

Any ideas?

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
If you have a wired controller plugged in your PC, unplug the controller from your PC (don't plug it back in) and then try driving using the keyboard and mouse only.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Actually solved it. I had bought a Sony PlayStation 3 Navigator controller to try. It was plugged in at the same time. For a couple weeks everything worked fine. Then the gyrocopter forward - reverse controls stopped working. Another week goes by and then the land vehicle left - right steering stopped working. Even with the joystick removed, the keyboard didn't work - but the Navigator was plugged in the whole time. Unplugged the Navigator controller and everything works fine again.

Before Windows 10, things either conflicted or they did not. But with Windows 10, I have several times seen configurations that work for weeks or months before starting to cause problems. My OS-fu is sadly too weak to understand how that can happen, but I've seen it several times now.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So, are you gonna shoot Min, or let him live?
Haven't gotten near that far, but my current plan is to terminate with extreme prejudice. I just hope it's not a quick time event.

I'm also proud to see that Ubisoft learned their lesson and didn't make the best villain an underling this time.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Gave it up. Reached the part where I had to choose one of the Golden Path leaders. My character says he now knows what he has to do but I didn't have a clue, so I did some research on line. Seems I've basically murdered a third of the nation and my choices are third world drug cartel hell hole under existing drug lord, third world drug cartel hell hole under new drug lord, and third world drug free hell hole with child marriage. WTF Ubisoft? Why no option that actually makes things better?

I want to kill them all and put Badra in charge.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
After you beat the game you can track them down and kill the fuckers.

But you cant put Bhadra in charge.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
After you beat the game you can track them down and kill the fuckers.

But you cant put Bhadra in charge.
But even if I kill them, aren't I leaving the nation they set up?

Sadly, it's looking like the most moral thing I could have done in the game is nothing,
just wait for Padan Min to come back and take me to scatter my mother's ashes. Now I just feel bad for virtually killing all those virtual Royal Army soldiers when it turns out that my virtual options are no better than their virtual king. Sorry, red shirted dudes, my bad.

Feb 4, 2009
Actually solved it. I had bought a Sony PlayStation 3 Navigator controller to try. It was plugged in at the same time. For a couple weeks everything worked fine. Then the gyrocopter forward - reverse controls stopped working. Another week goes by and then the land vehicle left - right steering stopped working. Even with the joystick removed, the keyboard didn't work - but the Navigator was plugged in the whole time. Unplugged the Navigator controller and everything works fine again.

Before Windows 10, things either conflicted or they did not. But with Windows 10, I have several times seen configurations that work for weeks or months before starting to cause problems. My OS-fu is sadly too weak to understand how that can happen, but I've seen it several times now.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I feal you pain been in similar frustrating spots like that too.
Why not an Xbox controller, they work out of the box for windows.