Problems with EVGA Geforce GTS 450

rtravessini

Jul 30, 2012
Hi guys

I am having some problems with an EVGA Geforce 450 SC installed in this computer:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @2.53Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-C/1600
RAM: 2GB DDR2

The video card is working a lot below its real potential.
I got a 6.0 score in WEI and 2299 in 3d mark 11
Games like borderlands are unplayable.

Here i have an image from gpu-z
2z5r95z.png

nvidia inspector
2yy9vde.png

Some graphs obtained with nvidia inspector, the 4 times the gpu was with 100% usage was in the 4 3d mark tests.
x5d25c.png

I think the problem is related with the motherboard being PCI Express 1.1. I only need a confirmation to buy a new one.

Obs.: 1.This video card was working properly in another computer.
2. Sorry my english... not my native language

Last edited:

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Welcome to the forums! :)

First, I doubt seriously that you're being restricted by the PCIe 1.1 bandwidth. Your card is in an x16 1.1 slot which is equal in bandwidth to an x8 PCIe 2.0 slot - which has been proven many, many times not to restrict much more powerful cards even when running multiple cards.

Try this: take a game that the video card stumbles in (Borderlands, since you mentioned it), turn down the detail to minimal (and/or reduce the resolution) and see if the fps improves to a playable rate. If it does, your card just isn't up to running with high detail. If it doesn't improve though it's more likely that your processor is holding you back. You're on a fairly basic G31 motherboard, not sure what overclocking options you have but might be worth seeing if you can push your chip to like 3GHz or higher. That would almost certainly help at least a bit.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Your 3DMark score is pretty decent for your setup, actually.

I'd say it's both the CPU and GPU that's pretty outdated, actually, thought the GPU is just an entry-level card to begin with.

rtravessini

Jul 30, 2012
First, thanks for the replies..

I tried to put borderlands in the minimal details possible and even like that the game is not running ok. The thing I found really strange here is that this same computer with a Geforce 9600 GT runs borderlands with a decent fps in the max settings available. I expected that should be the opposite, the 450 having at least a 30% gain over the 9600. This is happening in almost all games, the GTS 450 is only better when DirectX11 is required.

I think the problem is not with the video card because I had it installed in another computer with an i5 750 and I could run battlefield 3(1920x1080 Medium Settings) with more than 40 fps.

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
It might be needing more clock cycles than your cpu has to give compared to the older card.

Don't really know for sure, but I do know GF100/110 Fermi is a cpu hog.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I had a situation recently where Skyrim performance on a GTS 250 tanked after a few weeks, to the point it was unplayable at any resolution. No amount of tweaks to the in-game settings would help. I wound up doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia drivers, reset the game settings, and performance was restored.

rtravessini

Jul 30, 2012
I had a situation recently where Skyrim performance on a GTS 250 tanked after a few weeks, to the point it was unplayable at any resolution. No amount of tweaks to the in-game settings would help. I wound up doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia drivers, reset the game settings, and performance was restored.

Thanks but I already formatted the computer without any improvement.

I think that the problem probably is related with what BallaTheFeared told.
I'm gonna buy an i5 3450, should solve.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Thanks but I already formatted the computer without any improvement.

I think that the problem probably is related with what BallaTheFeared told.
I'm gonna buy an i5 3450, should solve.
So nice of you to say thanx to the first comment that solved you problem UPGRADE YOU RAM TO 4gb as well it will be a big bottle neck as well. Your welcome.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I would suggest trying to overclock your current cpu first, just to see if there's an improvement. The fact you turned down to minimal details and it still runs crappy tells me it's probably your cpu. But you might as well confirm with an overclock before spending the money on a 3450.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I would suggest trying to overclock your current cpu first, just to see if there's an improvement. The fact you turned down to minimal details and it still runs crappy tells me it's probably your cpu. But you might as well confirm with an overclock before spending the money on a 3450.
if he put Borderlands on lowest settings possible and still had problems then its NOT his cpu. the settings in that game that impact the cpu, such as dynamic shadows would need a decent cpu but with those off even a Pentium 4 can run that game okay. an E7200 @2.53Ghz would not be an issue at all in Borderlands with lowest settings and should never drop below 60 fps.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
if he put Borderlands on lowest settings possible and still had problems then its NOT his cpu. the settings in that game that impact the cpu, such as dynamic shadows would need a decent cpu but with those off even a Pentium 4 can run that game okay.
Highly unlikely that a P4 chip would run any modern 3D game smoothly however it is very likely that a C2D at 2.5Ghz is an extreme bottleneck.

Some people say I am a troll but really I just like being the Devil's Advocate to ensure a balanced and factual community.

Aug 11, 2008
if he put Borderlands on lowest settings possible and still had problems then its NOT his cpu. the settings in that game that impact the cpu, such as dynamic shadows would need a decent cpu but with those off even a Pentium 4 can run that game okay. an E7200 @2.53Ghz would not be an issue at all in Borderlands with lowest settings and should never drop below 60 fps.

Yes, something does not seem right. I played Borderlands and all the expansions on a comp with an E4500 and a 9800 GT. I was playing at 1440 x 900 with no problems. I think the settings were even at high. The OPs CPU is definitely stronger than mine, so it should be sufficient.

OP, I assume you checked all temperatures to make sure nothing was overheating and throttling?