Problems with Diablo 2.

Lazzor

Sep 22, 2011
Hello everyone. With the release of Diablo 3 coming soon, I got a bit nostalgic, and decided to pop in Diablo 2. The game runs smoothly at first, but occasionally the color will go out, and the only way to fix it is by leaving my game and joining again. I bought my computer from a company called Ironside Computers, and it's running SLI GTX 570's. The computer runs every other game smoothly, but with Diablo 2 it seems to have that issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? Does SLI have anything to do with this? Thanks in advance.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
you will have to troubleshoot this yourself. disable SLI before starting the game. it will FLY on a single 570 anyways.

try that and call us (post) in the morning (later)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
you will have to troubleshoot this yourself. disable SLI before starting the game. it will FLY on a single 570 anyways.

try that and call us (post) in the morning (later)

it will never be as fast as a voodoo! glide FTW! ;)

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
It sounds like the common problem of Windows 7 Explorer screwing with the colour palette in old 8-bit colour games. I thought Diablo II had an official fix for this problem though, you can try updating to the latest version. If not, the generic fix of killing Explorer with Task Manager while playing the game will work. Leave Task Manager running so you can restart Explorer with File -> New Task (Run...) -> explorer.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'd look at SLI like Borealis mentioned. I'm goofing around with D2 as well thanks to the D3 excitment and running Win7 and a 580. What you describe hasn't happened to me yet.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Maybe look for a glide wrapper for windows 7? Links are blocked here at work, but there might be some info in here for you:

nvm, I can't even get the link right now, google glide wrapper, there is a whole thread on diablo.incgamers.com that may have info about the glide wrapper and a place to dl.

Last edited:

Lazzor

Sep 22, 2011
Thanks everyone for the help. I gave a call to Ironside, the company who built my computer, and they helped me resolve the problem. Apparently you have to run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 2, and click on everything that says disable on that compatibility page. Now it's running great. Thanks everyone for trying to help me out, I really appreciate it.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I've been playing it on my Netbook lately (Atom 1.6ghz) and it runs smoothly in everything except some rooms with 20+ monsters...

Level 19 so far :)

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Thanks everyone for the help. I gave a call to Ironside, the company who built my computer, and they helped me resolve the problem. Apparently you have to run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 2, and click on everything that says disable on that compatibility page. Now it's running great. Thanks everyone for trying to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Never heard of Ironside, but it looks like they have good tech support :thumbsup:

My biggest problem with Diablo 2 is that it's not Diablo 3.

Funny, many people complain it's the other way around :biggrin:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
For some reason I've had the discs for this kicking around since 2000, when it came out. I played it when and kept taking the discs when I would move. I just put it in this morning, 11 years later. I can't believe I would do that (i never play old games), but I have to say it's still got some of that magic. I am at 640X480 unfortunately.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
My biggest problem with Diablo 2 is that it's not Diablo 3.

yeah, since D3 isn't officially out yet and they keep on making changes to it, not sure how you can compare the two. As with others, in anticipation of D3, I have spent some time in D2. Recently finally took out the Triad to beat the game on Normal. Even with significantly dated graphics, i still say it is as addicting as ever.

if and when D3 comes out, I hope it is half the game D2 is. if it is, it will be friggin awesome.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Never heard of Ironside, but it looks like they have good tech support :thumbsup:

The exact thing I was thinking. A PC builder knowing how to get an old game to work on their system, and steering you to the fix right away is pretty remarkable.

Most I've had to deal with in past had a hard time coming up with answers for their own hardware (drivers/etc).

Jovec

Feb 24, 2008
I am at 640X480 unfortunately.

Game can run at 800x600 via the options. You can also launch the game in a window and the most recent patch implements GDI scaling, so you can maximize said window.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The exact thing I was thinking. A PC builder knowing how to get an old game to work on their system, and steering you to the fix right away is pretty remarkable.

Most I've had to deal with in past had a hard time coming up with answers for their own hardware (drivers/etc).

so it looks like their marketing has worked...

someone who doesn't know that they shouldn't call the computer manufacturer about a software issue with a 10 year old game doesn't need dual GTX 570s

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
If you don't want to go through the no-cd patch, moving files etc. You can download the game from battle.net with your CD keys. Then you don't have to worry about the phyical media.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Game can run at 800x600 via the options. You can also launch the game in a window and the most recent patch implements GDI scaling, so you can maximize said window.
I think only with lord destruction, though, which I never played...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah the expansion was awesome. Even if you dont like the new region, it adds a crapload of stuff to the base game.