Problems with C&C Generals "A serious error....., **** UPdate, culprit found, Nvidia drivers suck !!! ***

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Markfw, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Markfw

Markfw CPU Moderator VC&G Moderator Elite Member
    Super Moderator

I have tried everything recommended on the EA website. I have an Antec 430 true power PSU, tried NO OC (XP2700), use Geil PC2700 C2 at 2-3-3-7, stock ATI Radeon 9700 pro, XP2000 OS, all the latest drivers upgrades, Cat 3.6 drivers (tried them all), DX9.0b and upgraded the game to 1.6 (I think, the latest)

Here is the deal, no matter what I try, nothing changes, the game goes back to Windows with a message"A serious error has occured...." or the computer re-boots. I have tried every imaginable comination, and nothing seems to help. After 10-30 minutes usually (sometimes not for 2 hours, or not at all that night) it does this. I don't know what else to try. Anybody else find a magic cure for this game ? All other games are rock solid, and the OS.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Problems Generals error Forum Date
    Video card problems and general upgrades General Hardware Sep 16, 2006
    General computer problem General Hardware Jan 14, 2006
    GENERAL AIW problems! General Hardware Apr 4, 2005
    Big problem...MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE General Hardware Jun 25, 2001
    General Computer Problem (Hardware Related) General Hardware Feb 16, 2001

3. tbates757

tbates757 Golden Member

I had the same problem initially I believe, this may sound obvious but have you tried reinstalling it? That did the trick for me

4. ivwshane

ivwshane Lifer

What do you know?

:p

What was the exact message of the error?

What else do you have in your system and where are your extra cards physically located?

5. DKlein

DKlein Senior member

Although I rarely have that prob, I was on those tech help message boards for almost a month trying to troubleshoot my online play, and what I learned from that was:
    A)Do what you did.
    B)Reinstall
    C)Whine to EA
    D)Throw it away, it doesn't work and EA can't make any decent patches for it (I think they're on V2.6 or something by now)

Oh yes, did you update your sound card drivers? I think that helped mb two or three ppl...

6. Markfw

Super Moderator

1) Yes, I read the help pages and first uninstalled, then defragged the HD, then re-installed, then defragged again. and it was better.
    2) I have updated the sound drivers twice, once from Nvidia, second time from Windows update when it said there was a sound card update (on-board soundstorm)
    3) I have reported it to EA.

What else I have in my system is an ASUS A7N8X Depuxe Mobo, and an adaptec 39160 (I think that is the number) SCSI 3 card in the middle of the PCI slots. I checked the manual, and whatever slot I put it in, is one that doesn't share ANY resources with anything else. Oh, and it shouldn't matter, but I have a Maxtor 6Y080P0 80 gig 8 meg cache HD, and a generic DVD rom. What funny, is I have an ASUS A7V333 with a Radeon 9100 card, same HD, and an XP2400 OC'ed to XP2700 speed, and it works flawlessly on the game ! This is the first Nvidia motherboard I have had, VIA has been good to me. I had bad experiences with Nvidia video cards in my games, and switched to ATI, and been very happy. I even went back to Nvidia two generations later to have the same problems, so no more for me for a while. Now, it looks like I have to give up on their motherboards too! I had to uninstall the hard disk drivers in the 2.41 series drivers. And now it looks like their sound drivers may be my problem ! The sound keeps working almost every time the game crashes, so the comments about sound drivers makes sense to me, thats why I looked all over for better drivers. Nvidia drivers the best ? I don't think so based on my experience. I have even waited for over 6 months, and still no fixes.

Nvidia just sucks (at least in my experience)......

Edit: dang typos....

7. Markfw

Super Moderator

Bump for any good Generals gamers

8. Markfw

Super Moderator

Nobody else with suggestions ?

9. Markfw

Super Moderator

Bump, come on guys, it died 8 times in 30 minutes last night, getting worse.

10. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

dont know what to say....Im running a Barton 2500 on a Soltek nforce2 board , 9700 Pro, never any issues......

i know this doesnt help...but this is not a question a lot of people can answer

11. Markfw

Super Moderator

Amdhardcore, does your board have soundstorm like the ASUS A7N8X deluxe ? Maybe that is the problem.

12. newbiepcuser

newbiepcuser Diamond Member

I'm getting problems where my freaking machine shutdowns and reboots itself. I've switch from and Auidgy 1 to an Audigy 2. It still reboots once in awhile.

As soon it hits the splash screen, then you hear the intro sounds, it will reboot my my system.

I've uninstall and reinstall the game and it has gotten more stable.

13. Markfw

Super Moderator

Yes, I uninstalled twice, but stil the problem continues. It is starting to look like sound is the common thread, and that Soltek board of AMDhardcore seems like the only one with no problems. What kind of audio on that board ?

14. Regs

Regs Lifer

No Nvidia does not suck, they programmers for that game suck. I had to buy a new Cd-Rom just to get the damn game to install right.

15. jacktesterson

My board does not have Soundstorm.....

I am running off a shi||y AWE-850 Sound Card from Acer

16. jacktesterson

I also have a T-Bird system running off a ECS K7VZA with a Radeon 9100 128MB...and it runs flawlessly as well...although I had some initial issues with getting it to install with the CDROM I had......I installed with my burner and it just worked after that

weird eh? sorry Im not helping...

17. Markfw

Super Moderator

Yes, actually you are helping a lot. You seem to be helping me prove that Nvidia's sound card drivers are the problem. I just downloaded the 2.45 drivers that came out today, and so far, so good. But to go for MONTHS with such crap drivers that you can't even run programs, that is really bad. I don't care if they are slow, I just want them not to die ! Again I am reminded that Nvidia drivers SUCK ! Bring on the flames, and after 3 video cards and months on two nforce motherboards, I am now convinced that Nvidia drivers really suck !

18. Sunner

Sunner Elite Member

I wouldn't blame nVidia, or any other hardware manufacturer for those problems.

I played C&C a bunch a while back, and ran into that alot, that's on a comp with an Epox 8KHA+(VIA KT266A) and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
    Looked around on message boards, and alot of people were having those problems, seemed to be completely random, different hardware, different OS's, etc.

Never worked out despite many patches, in the end I just gave up.

Only C&C is to blame IMO.

19. BoomAM

BoomAM Diamond Member

I play it almost fine.
    It occasionally crashes for no reason at all. But not all the time.
    I also get naff performance with either more than one oponent on hard, or 2 on normal.
    The latest patch is 1.6, 1.7 is being released soon. To check if you have the latest, run the autorun thing on the cd, and click "check for updates", it`ll then check, DL if needed, and install the patch on the next run on C&C Generals.
    The developers of the game have admitted that the Sage engine used in Generals, isnt the most optimised and stable game engine out, and that they hope with future patches and more games baced on that engine, that they can sort out the problems. The thing is though, all the patches thus far, have focused on fixing MP issues and improving the net code, and occasionally, unit tweaks, such as cost and build time. But no SP fixes, or stability/speed fixes. Because of this, i cant do the last GLA mission. Ive done every other mission in the game, but that one, it just crashes after 10minutes of play.

I think that C&C Generals is more of a CPU/Ram hog that most games, and if your pc isnt upto the job, then you will suffer problems. If i have something like a XP2500 in my pc rarther than a XP1800, im confident that alot of my stability and poor performance problems would be gone. Im sort of ok on the ram side of things, cos i have 768mb of the stuff, but i still suffer occasional problems, due to the CPU, imo.

20. Regs

Regs Lifer

It seems whenever I want to alt + tab out of the game I get that Serious error. Must be display adpater drivers... And again I would not blame nvidia for a poorly programmed game that costs $49.99 .

21. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

its the game, not nvidia, thats one of the most problematic games out right now.

22. Markfw

Super Moderator

Quote:
    "I think that C&C Generals is more of a CPU/Ram hog that most games, and if your pc isnt upto the job, then you will suffer problems. If i have something like a XP2500 in my pc rarther than a XP1800, im confident that alot of my stability and poor performance problems would be gone. Im sort of ok on the ram side of things, cos i have 768mb of the stuff, but i still suffer occasional problems, due to the CPU, imo."

Did you read my specs in the first part of the post ? XP2700, Radeon 9700, latestest drivers, 512 meg Geil PC3200 ram , all at stock speeds etc... You don't get a lot better than that for being "up to the job"

23. BoomAM

BoomAM Diamond Member

To be honest, i didnt look at your specs in your first post. It was just a guess on my part. I think if you were to up your ram to 768mb or 1gb, then alot of your problems would go away.

24. Markfw

Super Moderator

There is at least one other game that gives me problems, Warcraft III, but not nearly as much as this game. On my other three gaming computers, both of these are stable, but on the Nforce2 system, they both crash. The other systems are varuois mobos, but all ATI cards, and Via and SIS chipsets (yes a K7S5A running 98SE, and is stable). Different cipsets, mobos and all ATI cards, but the only one with problems is supposed to be the best..... NOT !!!!!

25. Shagga

Shagga Diamond Member

I have had the same problem. Unfortunately I have also been unable to resolve the issue. In terms of spec,. I have a P4 3.0GHz; 1GB RDRAM; GF4 4600. I also have TB SC soundcard and having read all the threads I wonder if that is the problem. Now I'm aware that TB released some more XP drivers recently and I have them installed, however, C & C Generals is not. Uninstalled it as the constant crashing was getting to me. I may reinstall it and see if the problem still exists...

26. BoomAM

BoomAM Diamond Member

If you are running a distributed computing program in the background, or in memory, then shut it down. I just tryed switching off Seti and the map i was playing on last time i was playing C&C Generals, is now smooth rarther than occasionally jerky.
    Just a thought.
    I havnt tryed bigger games (bigger maps, more harder oponents, ect;)yet.