Problems with booting and bios

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Whenever I boot up my PC, it always looks for the floppy as the boot drive and gives me an error saying windows is missing.

It changes the setting in the bios to floppy even though I change it back to HDD in the bios. I don't know what is causing this bc the only thing I added recently was a DVD-RW. The other settings in the bios work correctly and are saved. I don't think its the battery bc the other settings work and aren't lost.

What could be the problem?

I recently reinstalled WinXP Pro w/SP2 clean on the PC. I boot with a SATA HDD which the bios recognizes.

imported_Zeke

Sep 18, 2004
I haven't had a floppy drive for 2 years....what mobo are you using? you should be able to disable the floppy entirely

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'm using an Asus K8V for my A64.

I can disable the floppy but whenever I shut down, the bios resets itself and makes the floppy the boot drive again. The other settings like CPU timing, memory timing, etc. are left alone. Only the boot settings change to floppy. I can't figure this out.

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
instead of just changing boot order you might want to try just disabling the floppy (its usually on the first bios page that also has the system time clock and ide devices listed)

also have you updated to the newest bios?

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Boonesmi
instead of just changing boot order you might want to try just disabling the floppy (its usually on the first bios page that also has the system time clock and ide devices listed)

also have you updated to the newest bios?

I've tried disabling it and it still does the same thing. Actually, it then selects the USB as the boot disk for some reason.

I'll try upgrading the bios but I hate doing it because I've killed an MB once upgrading a bios. I don't know why this is happening since the PC has been booting fine for the last year or so.

Any other suggestions?