problems trying to resize partitions using Gparted.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I just bought a new SSD (Crucial C500 240gb) to replace an old WD 5400 rpm drive.
T400 dual booting Linux Mint 17.1 and Win7.

I'm trying to resize and move around my partitions. First I cloned my drive using clonezilla. Now I'm booting linux mint 17.1 from a usb drive and using Gparted.
First I turn swap off and then try to resize the extended partition that my linux partitions are in. Gparted lets me make the changes I want but then when I apply them it fails without an error message.

any ideas On how I could resize an extended partition?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Can't really do much without a error message.
You could try another distro, and see if that works better, or try one of the utils that are on windows, like MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, or even MS's Disk management.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I had swap off.

I may just hook the old and new drive up to my desktop and try to copy partitions one at a time to their new homes.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
Finally solved it.
I downloaded a copy of hiren's boot cd and that a version of Parted magic...which I think uses Gparted as it's main tool.

Anyways that let me resize and move everything around to where I want it.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Parted Magic has served me well. The author insists on charging for it, but I believe based on its free software underpinnings, you can legitimately download it if you find a torrent.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
but I believe based on its free software underpinnings, you can legitimately download it if you find a torrent.

Correct. His price has gotten kind of high. $10 a download, or $50 a year. It's really a good package, and maybe worth(to me) $10 a year, but I don't know about paying for every update. Might be worth it, and a Cool Thing To Do® for enterprise users, but not for the guy that uses it a couple times per year.

I guess what I trying to say, is it's worth some money, and libre software isn't free. It's professionally assembled by a one man show, and that's worth supporting. Might be worth buying a copy once a year or so, but for the poor, it's free to download if you can find a copy.