Problems setting SSD Cache size in IRST

Herbie.no

May 24, 2010
So i got a 240GB SSD to use as a cache and storage for games. As the maximum size to use as cache (64GB) is a bit too much for my liking I try to choose the smallest size allowed (18.6GB). However, after the process is finished the cache size has been set at 64GB, with ~160GB available for use.

Partitioning the drive has no effect, since ISRT will reformat the whole drive while making a new partition for use as cache.

Anyone having simial problems?

MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
SSD: Crucial Force 3 240GB

Last edited:

snuuggles

Nov 2, 2010
So i got a 240GB SSD to use as a cache and storage for games. As the maximum size to use as cache (64GB) is a bit too much for my liking I try to choose the smallest size allowed (18.6GB). However, after the process is finished the cache size has been set at 64GB, with ~160GB available for use.

Partitioning the drive has no effect, since ISRT will reformat the whole drive while making a new partition for use as cache.

Hey, I have the same MB which I'm using an old intel g2 80gb as a cache. I'm sorry to say I have no input for you, but I do have an idle question. Why wouldn't you want to allocate the entire 64gig to cache? I kind of wish I could dedicate my whole drive to cache since I'm assuming it'll speed up whatever I'm using most.

I guess if you have more than 160 gigs that you *must* have on SSD no matter how infrequently you access it, then I can see your issue, but otherwise it seems like the bigger the cache the better?

I'm not trying to derail the question or tell you what to do, I'm just genuinely curious if there is a good reason, maybe I'll reduce my cache to the minimum as well (assuming I don't run into the issue you are).

snuuggles

Nov 2, 2010
lol, yeah that does make sense. I guess I'm too cheap to go for a SSD large enough.

Sorry I can't help you with your probem - good luck

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003

Have you tried other sizes like 20GB, 32GB, etc or other round numbers? I'm wondering if that .6GB might be an issue or bug?

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
You are correct .. It will only use 18.6 or the max size of the drive , up to 64gb ..